FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: UM-Flint Student Housing Groundbreaking!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

You're Invited!

The University of Michigan-Flint will break ground
On the New Student Housing
Monday, July 16, 2007
11 a.m. Ceremony
11:30 a.m. Celebration
Murchie Science Building Lot G

Free Food! Free Games! Free Fun for Everyone!
To RSVP, please call (810) 767-2150

(I got this off myspace)

Post Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:45 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

THATS AWESOME! This is really going to help infuse downtown with needed development piece to encourage others to invest and build down here!

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

FYI this is tomorrow.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:52 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated: UM-Flint starts its transformation to student housing Monday
Posted by Beata Mostafavi July 15, 2007 20:00PM
Categories: Breaking News, Flint, K-12 Education
Note: Earlier editions of this item gave the wrong day for the groundbreaking.

FLINT -- It's the start of a transformation.

And for alums such as Johnny Young, watching Monday's groundbreaking for student housing at the University of Michigan-Flint is kind of like seeing a little kid all grown up.

Young was a student in 1977 when the university became a downtown fixture by moving to its first own building now known as French Hall.

Almost exactly 30 years later, Young will witness another historical milestone for his alma mater -- this time as an administrator.

And Monday definitely starts a new chapter as UM-Flint breaks ground on the long-awaited student housing project bordering First Street, a step that will ultimately push the institution out of its commuter campus bubble.

"It's a transformation for all of us this year. Student housing is going to change the nature of our campus," said Young, 47, who graduated from UM-Flint in 1983 and is now assistant vice chancellor for student services.

"I've had the pleasure of watching the university mature and grow. I think this will be an emotional lift for the community, especially for those who have watched it evolve."

Monday's 11 a.m. groundbreaking is the product of years of hard-fought struggles by outgoing Chancellor Juan Mestas. For some, it also symbolizes how far the university has come and hope for where the city can go.

"With the hard times we've experienced here, University of Michigan-Flint and all of the local colleges and universities have kind been the hope or beacon if you will," Young said.

Monday represents a fresh hope, one that 24/7 student life downtown will help twist the city back into a vibrant place.

And that the university's growth will help spur community growth.

"It isn't a silver bullet for downtown, but it's going help contribute to progress," said Neal Hegarty, program officer at the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation that's a key funding source of the $21.3-million project.

"It's going to be a fundamental change to street life in downtown Flint. It's hard to quantify that change, to see where we'll be in 10 years, but it's a step in the right direction."

For many UM-Flint alumni, Monday's celebration also evokes a nostalgic sentiment of how it all started and big visions of what's to come.

Laura Tobias, who lives barely minutes away from the university's old location in the Mott Memorial Building on Court Street, was a student from 1975-79.

She remembers when students could frequent a string of bars, a local diner, natural foods store and stationary shop downtown before all of them closed.

Monday is a new day.

"I have to agree with all the boosters of Flint who say we're going to start selling ourselves as a university and college town," said Tobias, 49, who teacher English at Mott Community College, her onetime UM-Flint campus. "I think we will make a transition."

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/07/umflint_starts_its_transformat.html

Post Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Laura Tobias also organizes a summer creative writing summer camp for youth at MCC. Great chance for children to experience the college campus environment at an elementary age.

Kudos to Tobias for supporting Flint Students to achieve!

RAP

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:00 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Rapunzel you're back. Smile

Anyways this event was even much better than I even anticipated. There were 400 chairs set up. They were filled and I estimate there were another 300-400 standing. The dorms should hold 310 students. The event was very well attended by local elected officials and every well organized by the University.

As long as the dorms fill up hopefully very quickly there should be more dorms going up in Flint. Having dorms should add considerably to the morale at UM-Flint which was already high.

Everyone was very generous of departing chancelor Juan Mestas who's tremendous leadership lead to this great achievement.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:26 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: