FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor attends pipefitters union meeting instead of debate

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

"Williamson said he could not attend the debate because he was a guest speaker at the 100th anniversary celebration for the pipe fitters union."
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-44/1181311105256850.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

I understand trying to meet prior committments but I think the mayor should have cancelled and attended the debate. How many Flint people are even in this union? I have union family members and they tell me the people that work in the plants do not live in Flint. Didn't the mayor participate in union busting in the past anyways? I wonder why a union would invite a successful union buster to attend its 100th anniversary?
Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:26 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The president did not debate candidates running for his office, last time around, and you are not complaining about that.

The Mayor has no reason to debate, hell he was the topic of the last debate and he wasn't even there.

Mayor Williamson has a poven record and a lot of the people are happy with him. Why should he make one of the debates?? What does he have to gain?? In my opinion nothing.

The candidates should be debating one another and not the current mayor, the winner in August with have plenty of time to debate him before November.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

What?? Adam come on.. The pipefitters union is important, I would of did the same! Plus, he had this in his schedule, why would he cancel on them to come to a debate???

quote:
Adam schreef:
"Williamson said he could not attend the debate because he was a guest speaker at the 100th anniversary celebration for the pipe fitters union."
http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-44/1181311105256850.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

I understand trying to meet prior committments but I think the mayor should have cancelled and attended the debate. How many Flint people are even in this union? I have union family members and they tell me the people that work in the plants do not live in Flint. Didn't the mayor participate in union busting in the past anyways? I wonder why a union would invite a successful union buster to attend its 100th anniversary?

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

MAYOR WILLIAMSON HAS A PROVEN TRACK RECORD ADAM!

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
The president did not debate candidates running for his office, last time around, and you are not complaining about that.

The Mayor has no reason to debate, hell he was the topic of the last debate and he wasn't even there.

Mayor Williamson has a poven record and a lot of the people are happy with him. Why should he make one of the debates?? What does he have to gain?? In my opinion nothing.

The candidates should be debating one another and not the current mayor, the winner in August with have plenty of time to debate him before November.

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
insider
F L I N T O I D

Are we talking about a proven criminal record or a proven record of not thinking before acting and then having to take back what he did?
Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:38 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint has paved more roads in the last 4 years than any other city!
quote:
insider schreef:
Are we talking about a proven criminal record or a proven record of not thinking before acting and then having to take back what he did?

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:35 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
insider schreef:

So because the mayor can spend money that was in the budget for paving roads he is a good mayor? What about things like crime, jobs, parks, mowing, education, quality of life etc? We are now #1 in the nation for violent crime under Williamson.
Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:23 am 
JustAskMe
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

I'm new to this forum. Still trying to figure out who is about what.

Anyway, I do agree our Honorable Mayor The Don Wimsin, didn't need to be part of the debate. Union support is important to candidates, sad but true. It is interesting a union buster was a speaker at a union event? Makes you go hummmm. . . . . . Wink

I also agree the successful candidates will have time to debate the man before the election.

So, why doesn't his highness have a website?

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:06 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Mayor Williamson is working on all issues that the city is faced with!

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
insider schreef:

So because the mayor can spend money that was in the budget for paving roads he is a good mayor? What about things like crime, jobs, parks, mowing, education, quality of life etc? We are now #1 in the nation for violent crime under Williamson.

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to Flint Talk JustAskMe!
I am not sure if the Mayor has a re election website or not..
Does anyone know for sure??

quote:
JustAskMe schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:

I'm new to this forum. Still trying to figure out who is about what.

Anyway, I do agree our Honorable Mayor The Don Wimsin, didn't need to be part of the debate. Union support is important to candidates, sad but true. It is interesting a union buster was a speaker at a union event? Makes you go hummmm. . . . . . Wink

I also agree the successful candidates will have time to debate the man before the election.

So, why doesn't his highness have a website?

Post Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:54 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Of course he has a website.....cityofflint.com. As far as the debate, he would be a fool to attend one. Debating with him would be like arguing with a kindergartner. Did too....did not.....did too....did not. He has the brains of a shoelace.
Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:21 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:
Of course he has a website.....cityofflint.com. As far as the debate, he would be a fool to attend one. Debating with him would be like arguing with a kindergartner. Did too....did not.....did too....did not. He has the brains of a shoelace.

if you ever have heard Williamson when he did a weekly hour on Dave Barber's radio program, you'd appreciate he is not the type to answer questions directly put to him.
He will ignore the direct "yes/no" type questions and say 'Well let me say this here...." and then go on to make whatever point[s] he WANTS to talk about. It may or may not have addressed the point he was asked about.

He would not operate well in a structured environment like a debate, especially where he was just one of 7-8 voices.

If you had heard his weekly hour on the radio you might come away with the impression that he was rude, crude, nearly profane, mean-spirited to an almost breath-taking level...and sly as a fox. And also strongly focussed on doing what HE feels in the best interest in the citizens of Flint.

He may not be "schooled" in the arts or behaving gracefully and mannerly..I bet Ghengis Khan was not either. But like him, the don is ruthlessly effective in execution of what he feels is important to do.

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:01 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets be honest here , thats how all debates are, the blame game!
Its all about proving that the other person is less of a candidate . That you are god, and you deserve the voters vote. Why would the mayor attend? What does he have to debate? What he has done as mayor is his record, the voters will decide if he has done a good job or not. If I was mayor I wouldn't attend the debate either!!

quote:
Bossman schreef:

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:10 pm 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

Its refreshing to seem some one speak their mind with no agenda...
Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: