FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Office in Action: Case Studies Ombudsman City of Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

16-May-06 A Flint Police Officer is accused of favoritism, abuse of authority
unfair treatment of a citizen because of friendship with the accuser.

30-Mar-07 Citizen confides in Ombudsman of possible drug dealing at
corner store. Ombudsman refers same to Special Operations.

26-Sep-06 Complainant received notification from Flint Police Dept
to pick up impounded vehicle. Upon checking found vehicle had already been sold.

23-Jun-06 The Office of the Ombudsman assisted complainant with
negotiating payment of delinquent tax bill.

08-Jan-07 Allegations of unfairness and lack of courtesy was filed against
Flint Police Officers while on duty.

18-May-06 Allegations filed against 911 Operator of negligence for not
responding to a call. Ombudsman Office investigated the allegations
and lack of response by Operator was sustained

06-Apr-07 Lack of discipline allegations was filed against Interim Chief
of the Flint Police Dept. Damage claim form completed was submitted
to the City Attorney.

19-May-06 Excessive Force complaint filed against Flint Police Officers

22-Aug-06 It has been determined that an off duty Police Officer
violated numerous department rules and regulations
regarding a citizens rights, consequently resulting in lawsuit.

25-Sep-06 Anonymous complaint made that certain employees misused
Family Leave Act.

11-Sep-06 Allegations of harassment, unfairness and negligence by
Building and Safety Inspection division regarding rental
home inspection.

26-Sep-06 Allegations made against Flint Police Department of
errors, carelessness, mistakes and oversight.

28-Nov-06 Allegation made against a Sergeant of the Flint Police Department
alleging favoritism, rudeness, harassment and disrespect, regarding
gun charges.

18-Jan-07 Complainant vehicle was towed and placed in the City Vehicle
Impound Lot. Upon investigation found complainant had
the wrong agency. Referred to Genesee Township Police Department.
Flint Police was the assisting agency and not at fault.

23-Jan-07 Due to the negligence of an area hospital and its security a mentally
challenged person wondered away. Missing persons complaint was
filed with the Flint Police Department. Allegations of lack of response
and negligence were filed against the Flint Police Department.
Office of Ombudsman made appropriate contacts and assisted
in locating the individual.

23-Mar-07 Complainant alleges off duty intoxicated Officers abused their authority
by brandishing police badges, being assaultive, belligerent,
intimidating and threatening while at complainants business.

15-May-06 Complainant alleges unfairness and inadequate investigation
by Flint Police Department in the death of her son.

21-May-06 Complainant alleges he had a complaint against a judge and was
as a result mistreated by police.

22-Aug-06 Complainant alleges unfair treatment by City Vehicle Impound Lot employees.

13-Feb-07 Complainant alleges items were withheld in a 1995 murder
investigation family just wants closure and the items of
their loved one returned. Police Dept accused of being rude and lack of courtesy.

23-Feb-07 Allegations made against Flint Police Department of abuse of authority
violation of laws and regulations and injustice for the illegal
searching of her home.

17-Jan-07 Allegations made against Treasury Department for violations
of laws and regulations regarding property taxes

08-Feb-07 Allegations made against the Flint Police Department regarding
the City Impound Lot for injustice and unfairness with towing of their vehicle.

15-Feb-07 Allegations of negligence made against Street Maintenance and
Transportation.

23-Mar-07 Allegation of negligence were filed against the Forestry Dept.
for not removing a City tree.

29-Mar-07 Office of the Ombudsman assisted mother in locating the whereabouts
of her missing son.

13-Oct-06 Allegations against process server and police officer of taking
property from his residence without having proper paperwork.

19-Sep-06 Allegations against police and City Impound Lot of unfairness and
improper towing and retaining of his vehicle.

16-Apr-07 Treasurer Department accused of oversight and mistakes in law
regarding high water bill.

20-Apr-07 Allegations made against Building and Safety Inspection of being
rude and unfair.

01-Sep-06 Allegations of mistakes and administrative errors against
Personnel/Risk Management.

21-Sep-06 Allegations made against Emergency 911 of unfairness
and negligence in not dispatching police to a call in time.

31-Jul-06 Complainant made allegations against City Attorney
Alleging rudeness and unfairness.

26-Jul-06 Allegations against probation officers at 68th District Court alleging abuse of authority, rudeness and unfairness.

http://www.cityofflint.com/ombudsman/AnnualRpt0607%20.pdf

Last edited by Steve Myers on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Where did that info come from?

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone else taken the time to read this 19-page report? The cover letter states the report is being made in accordance with section 3-509 of the Flint City Charter. That section reads "The Ombudsman shall report at least annually to the City Council action taken under this Chapter. All reports shall be made public." Not all of the complaints shown state what action has been taken by the Ombudsman. I believe the resulting action taken by the Ombudsman on complaints filed with her office will be the measure by which Flint citizens feel the office is justified, and we are entitled to that additional information in the written report. A supplemental report is warranted.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:09 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

in accordance with section 3-509 of the Flint City Charter. That section reads "The Ombudsman shall report at least annually to the City Council action taken under this Chapter. All reports shall be made public." Not all of the complaints shown state what action has been taken by the Ombudsman. I believe the resulting action taken by the Ombudsman on complaints filed with her office will be the measure by which Flint citizens feel the office is justified, and we are entitled to that additional information in the written report. A supplemental report is warranted.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, what's your comment? Smile
Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:49 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

I too noted some charts categorizing the complaints into catagories by type..but no where did they reveal the REAL important data....how many of these complaints were investigated and what was the disposition.

Surely some of these were without merit...some people complaining to cause trouble, or because they take exception of the tone of your voice...and know they can cause trouble for you.

Its also disturbing to see some categories, like racisim with a high ranking in one ward, and none in others. Makes me think, do we have standard definitions for these categories? Or iis up to the whim of the volunteer taking the report to decide what they feel like categorizing.

But really, this report, with all its non-value boiler-plate content, is missing the most important data to guage the effectiveness of the ombudsmen...what were the results? What did you work on, what were the resolutions?

If I were the council, I'd request that summary data, tout suite....

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:39 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Job on the 2006 Flint Ombudsman report.
http://www.cityofflint.com/ombudsman/AnnualRpt0607%20.pdf

“This past year, the staff was trained and certified in the Reid Technique of Interviewing and
Interrogation at the John E. Re id and Associated School of Investigation, Chicago, Illinois and also attended the “Building Cultural Competence” and “Hate Crimes 101” held by the Michigan
Department of Civil Rights.”[I liked this. It shows she is working hard to build a competent base in her office.-TRB]

“A website has been established for the convenience of the citizens. This Annual Report can been viewed on our website: www.cityofflint.com/ombudsman “ [ The office is progressive with a website.-TRB]

”The Ombudsman provided a vital community service by referring over 2,024 complainants this past year to agencies and organizations when there is no jurisdiction or where the complainant has not first contacted the department to resolve the problem. This office handled a total of 1,118 complaints. A total of 705 cases have been closed. This includes 457 inherited complaints. We have a total of 413 complaints currently still open.”

[ This report shows me that under the most difficult of conditions and with minimal resources the Ombudsman has the office up and running. There is a charter restriction on releasing criticism with out notice, and ability to respond. The antidotal summaries are all she can do. Her charts are excellent . The full written reports filed with the City Clerk are not shown here. Thats her call. The report and her comments within show me she finally has her feet on the ground. I takes about a year and her year is up. There is no Ombudsman school you learn it by doing it. Her referral and complaint handled numbers come up to 3124 which when divided by the 250 available working days per year yield 12.5 contact per day by citizens with the office. These are acceptable numbers when placed in a historical perspective. I believe her initial contact numbers match Jim Ananich Sr’s numbers and mine.-TRB]

[I have said publicly that my recollection of the average number of intakes during my administration was 4-6 dailey and that Jim Ananich Sr’s numbers were similar. The demand for service is there it has been constant over the last 25 years, this Ombudsman is meeting this citizen demand. Her number are almost 5 investigative intakes per day and she is doing it herself with minimal staff. I had eight people at $500,000 budget community and political backing and a solid 7-8 votes at all times on the council and mayor that stayed out of my way and let me do my job. This Ombudsman has been in a war since she took the office. We should all support her and encourage her as she develops her office. The real result will occur in her years 3 and beyond to 7.-TRB]

[Now that she has her foundation set I look forward to her public reports in 2007 and 2008. Good Job madam Ombudsman.-TRB]
Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I just copied and pasted what I found on the website about the office!

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Ryan, what's your comment? Smile

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:41 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

With all due respect, Ryan, this portion of your copy and paste are words taken from my post above, not another website: "Not all of the complaints shown state what action has been taken by the Ombudsman. I believe the resulting action taken by the Ombudsman on complaints filed with her office will be the measure by which Flint citizens feel the office is justified, and we are entitled to that additional information in the written report. A supplemental report is warranted." Those are my words, my opinion. I ask again, what are your comments?
Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The info I copied and pased did not show up, I will try to find it again and repost it.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

With all due respect, Ryan, this portion of your copy and paste are words taken from my post above, not another website: "Not all of the complaints shown state what action has been taken by the Ombudsman. I believe the resulting action taken by the Ombudsman on complaints filed with her office will be the measure by which Flint citizens feel the office is justified, and we are entitled to that additional information in the written report. A supplemental report is warranted." Those are my words, my opinion. I ask again, what are your comments?

Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:16 pm 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
The info I copied and pased did not show up, I will try to find it again and repost it.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

I can't wait.
Post Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: