FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint MI the most dangerous city in the nation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

According to http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/NEWS06/706050328

"In the midst of high unemployment in Flint, violent crime increased 13%. Its rate of 2,596.9 incidents per 100,000 people gave it the highest violent crime rate in the nation among 254 cities reporting, followed by St. Louis."

The Flint journal: http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-44/1181053261245040.xml&coll=5
also has coverage.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:58 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Violent crime creeps up
But some Mich. cities experience decrease
June 5, 2007

BY TODD SPANGLER, VICTORIA TURK and BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Flint and Detroit remained two of the most dangerous big cities in the nation last year, according to data released Monday by the FBI.

And although violent crime declined in most of the state's seven cities with populations of 100,000 or more during 2006, property crime increased in Detroit, Sterling Heights and Warren, with more larcenies and auto thefts.

"The numbers aren't surprising. The mayor mentioned it during his State of City" address in March, said Detroit police spokesman James Tate. Since then, several measures to combat crime in the city appear to be working, he added, noting the numbers of homicides and nonfatal shootings are down more than 10% from last year.

Still, he said, "When the Big Three are going through the ills they are, it has a trickle-down effect."

Each year, the FBI releases data on crimes committed in the largest U.S. cities. The 2006 preliminary numbers showed a 1.3% rise in the number of violent crimes nationally. A final report will be released in September.

Except for Flint and Detroit, Michigan's biggest municipalities bucked that trend. Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids and Lansing all showed fewer violent crimes in 2006, and the numbers in Sterling Heights and Warren fell by 9% and 3%, respectively.

In Detroit, violent crimes rose by only about half the national percentage increase.

In the midst of high unemployment in Flint, violent crime increased 13%. Its rate of 2,596.9 incidents per 100,000 people gave it the highest violent crime rate in the nation among 254 cities reporting, followed by St. Louis.

Detroit was third, with a rate of 2,422.4, falling from second place in the nation the previous year. But the number of homicides committed in the city rose 12%, from 373 in 2005 to 417, giving it the second-highest homicide rate in the nation, behind only Gary, Ind.

Flint was third in the national homicide rate. In 2005, Detroit was fifth in the nation and Flint was sixth.

Among those killed in Detroit during 2006 was Kyle Smith, a 24-year-old woman shot several times outside a downtown nightclub on Woodward Avenue the day before the city hosted Super Bowl XL.

Her death remains unsolved.

Her mother, Vicky Cupp, said Monday she's not surprised that the homicide tally rose last year and even wonders whether her daughter's killer could have killed others.

"The guy is probably still loose," said Cupp, 50, of Tecumseh. "He shot her four or five times on the street, and it's not solved. You would think somebody saw something."

Tate, the police spokesman, said that though Detroit has 1,000 fewer police officers than four years ago, the city has made moves to cut crime.

Police meet almost daily to share information on some of the city's most-wanted suspects and efforts to capture them; administrative staff is being dispatched to work on the streets more regularly, and police are making a priority of ticketing parents who allow children to commit crimes, he said.

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick wants to add 200 police officers.

The region's poor economy, Tate said, may be part of the reason for the increase in property crimes.

Across the nation, property crimes declined 2.9%, but that trend didn't bear out in southeastern Michigan, where both Detroit and Sterling Heights saw double-digit percentage increases. Warren recorded a 4% increase in property crimes.

Sterling Heights' 20% increase in property crimes was the highest in the state, with 3,415 incidents reported in 2006 compared with 2,840 the previous year.

The city also saw significant percentage increases in burglaries, larcenies and motor vehicle thefts, which rose 43% to 342.

Arsons also increased in Sterling Heights, from seven in 2005 to 22 last year.

"Have we had an increase? Sure," Sterling Heights Police Lt. Michael Reese said Monday, referring to the overall number of property crimes last year. "Could they have been tied into the economy? Probably.

"Obviously, people know that the economy is putting a lot of pressure on families."

Sterling Heights remains one of the safest larger cities in the nation, however, with rates of violent crime and property crime near the bottom of the city data collected by the FBI.

Warren police did not have a chance to review the FBI report Monday, but officials said they haven't noticed any notable changes in crime patterns.

In Detroit, the number of larcenies in 2006 rose 22%, from 17,403 to 21,274.

Bill Paskoules, 38, who lives in Detroit's East English Village, started a watchdog club on his block after a neighbor's house was broken into last November during the day and with an alarm going off.

Paskoules, who lives on Harvard, met with neighbors to trade phone numbers and e-mail addresses and created a block directory that he passed out to willing participants.

He also created yellow signs for front doors or windows that say: "My neighbor is watching my house."

"I think it's helped," Paskoules said. "I figured why not watch our little pocket of East English Village?"

Contact TODD SPANGLER at 202-906-8203 or at tspangler@freepress.com. Staff writer Christy Arboscello contributed to this report.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/NEWS06/706050328

----------------------------------------------------------------

Violent crime grows
Report shows 13% increase in Flint in '06 FLINTTHE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONTuesday, June 05, 2007By Bryn Micklebmickle@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6383
FLINT - Frankie Hildebrandt wasn't surprised at statistics released Monday that showed violent crime is on the rise in Flint.

According to the FBI's uniform crime report, violent crime in Flint shot up more than 13 percent last year. Although the city's population declined, homicide, rape, robbery and aggravated assault numbers went up in 2006.

"It's sickening," said Hildebrandt, a south-side resident who lives less than two blocks from the spot where a pizza deliveryman shot and killed a robber last month.

"It wasn't like this when we moved here 15 years ago. There are more empty houses," Hildebrandt said.

The increase in Flint was markedly higher than the nationwide increase of 1.3 percent.

Property crime, burglary and larceny in Flint also went up, although car theft and arson declined.

Elsewhere in the state, violent crime in Detroit rose slightly, but Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Lansing all posted decreases.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said the numbers reflect a myriad of problems afflicting Flint, including dysfunctional families, high unemployment, gangs and drugs.

"It's one thing after another," Leyton said.
Leyton added the rise in crime also stems from cuts in federal programs under the Bush administration. Grants that help prosecute gun and drug crimes have disappeared, said Leyton.

"That money completely dried up," he said.

Acting Flint Police Chief Gary Hagler said Monday that he was still reviewing the crime statistics but said the department has made moves to reverse the trend, including the recent reopening of the city jail.

Already, the city has lodged 386 people since the jail opened full time May 21.

Flint City Council President Darryl Buchanan said the city has also made changes to target high-crime areas.

"Hopefully that would show a progressive decrease in crime," said Buchanan.

Councilman Jim Ananich said he isn't surprised by the stats.

"You get calls from constituents. You know crime isn't any better," said Ananich.

On Monday night, the Flint City Council approved adding 25 police officers and two emergency dispatchers.

Leyton cautions against the likelihood of an overnight fix.

"It took a long time to get to this point, and it's going to take a number of years to get out of this situation," he said.

Journal staff writer Marjory Raymer contributed to this report

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I live in Flint and feel very safe, I wish they did a study on the crimes committed. Do a map of the areas where they are committed, and if the people knew each other who were killed?

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, there's so many variables to consider when looking at these stats. Also, there are a number of cities that don't even report their crime stats to the Feds. As with any large city with high rates of poverty, economic strife, you are going to have a lot of crime...mostly related to drug use or domestic violence. Truth is, the average citizen is pretty safe. These types of crimes are usually localized and among people who know each other. No need for alarm or to be scared.

I grew up in Flint and nothing happened to me, nor has anything happened to me working or living in the city of Detroit. Ironically, the only crime that has ever occurred to me was when i stopped in Birmingham for gas on the way to a Detroit Lions game at the silverdome. Go figure.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets just stop reporting ours too then, that way we won't be #1 anymore!! Smile

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
Yeah, there's so many variables to consider when looking at these stats. Also, there are a number of cities that don't even report their crime stats to the Feds. As with any large city with high rates of poverty, economic strife, you are going to have a lot of crime...mostly related to drug use or domestic violence. Truth is, the average citizen is pretty safe. These types of crimes are usually localized and among people who know each other. No need for alarm or to be scared.

I grew up in Flint and nothing happened to me, nor has anything happened to me working or living in the city of Detroit. Ironically, the only crime that has ever occurred to me was when i stopped in Birmingham for gas on the way to a Detroit Lions game at the silverdome. Go figure.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"Ironically, the only crime that has ever occurred to me was when i stopped in Birmingham for gas on the way to a Detroit Lions game at the silverdome. Go figure."

Velda, were you robbed by the gas station's high price? did you file a police report?

Wink

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:18 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

LOL!!!

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

LOL

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
"Ironically, the only crime that has ever occurred to me was when i stopped in Birmingham for gas on the way to a Detroit Lions game at the silverdome. Go figure."

Velda, were you robbed by the gas station's high price? did you file a police report?

Wink

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

What happened in Birmingham??

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:55 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

An otherwise normal looking man decided to take the liberty to grope me and grab me with one hand, while his other hand reached into the driver's seat and tried to take my purse. I proceeded to hit him on the head with the gas pump and shot gas all over him. He screamed like a girl and jumped in a BMW and headed up telegraph. It was 1999. What a fucker!

I forgot, I also got an airbag stolen from Somerset Mall...in Troy....A victim of crime in Birmingham and in Troy..but never in Detroit or FLint.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:03 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

He proably was mezmorized by your good looks, and then tempted by your big purse! I am glad you hit him and shot him with gas!! Were you hurt at all?

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
An otherwise normal looking man decided to take the liberty to grope me and grab me with one hand, while his other hand reached into the driver's seat and tried to take my purse. I proceeded to hit him on the head with the gas pump and shot gas all over him. He screamed like a girl and jumped in a BMW and headed up telegraph. It was 1999. What a fucker!

I forgot, I also got an airbag stolen from Somerset Mall...in Troy....A victim of crime in Birmingham and in Troy..but never in Detroit or FLint.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

He proably was mezmorized by your good looks, and then tempted by your big purse! I am glad you hit him and shot him with gas!! Were you hurt at all?

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:32 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Can we use that word on here??? ( fucker )
quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:33 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Watch it Eashoo! Hitting on my sister and all.......the last guy that did that is still in the rehab center!

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:36 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Okay Okay..... But Richard is also talking to her a lot tooo.. lol

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Watch it Eashoo! Hitting on my sister and all.......the last guy that did that is still in the rehab center!

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: