FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michael Moore=Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Friday, May 25, 2007

Michael Moore=Flint. So, stand up and bow, they're applauding YOU, too

Take a look at this video (see link below). This is how Michael Moore is respected and admired all over the world. This standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival for his film SiCKO, is typical. I've never been to a screening that didn't have a standing ovation at the end, even if he wasn't there.

But you won't find this kind of reaction in Flint.

People of Flint, watch this video, very, very closely. Listen. Carefully. That's the sound of people who approve, support, and admire

Our politics.
Our way of life.
Our "little guy standing up to the big guy."
Our hometown hero.

Take ownership. Be proud.

This reputation and culture started in Flint with the Great Sit Down Strike in 1937, which created the middle class, continued with Flint people who stood up and created the first American open housing act in 1964. Two years later, the Flint city council selected the first black mayor of a major American city, ever.

It continues today with people like Michael Moore and The Uncommon Sense and countless other individuals and organizations.

Flint, be proud. Stand up and take a bow, they're not just praising Michael Moore, they're praising YOU.

http://thestarrymessenger.blogspot.com/2007/05/michael-mooreflint-so-stand-up-and-bow.html#links
Post Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree 110% Roscoe! Michael Moore is a product of Flint Michigan/Davison Michigan. We need to embrace the guy, and we should piggy back off Michael Moore and his success!

Post Fri May 25, 2007 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree 110% Roscoe! Michael Moore is a product of Flint Michigan/Davison Michigan. We need to embrace the guy, and we should piggy back off Michael Moore and his success!

Post Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

horse hockey pucks....

MM is from Davison.

Davison is not Flint. Flint is not Davison.

The main connection is that MM made a movie about GM and its business decision's impacts on FLINT, because that is where the GM plants were located.

sorry Roscoe, MM's accolades are his...not Flint's or Davison's.

if Davison residents want to have home-town pride in one of their own, that's their perogative.

Those people applauding probably haven't a clue where MM spent his youth and certainly are NOT applauding Flint, Michigan.

Post Fri May 25, 2007 1:08 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

I applaude Michael Moore for his success and what he had done to make a name for himself....at the expense of Flintstones or not. When anyone can succeed and make it out of Flint, I applaud them.
My sole issue with Michael Moore is....his lack of effort to help the greater community of Flint. Maybe Im wrong but what has he done to help? He might of brought attention to the problems that Flint has had over the past quarter century but bringing attention to a problem doesnt do a damn thing to solve the problem.
It's time to put up or shut up Mr. Moore.....prove your worth...show us why people like Ryan Eashoo (no offense Ryan!) are fanning you and shoving grapes in your face.
I'll place this question to Ryan.....what has Mr. Moore done to help improve the situation here in Flint? Has he helped clean a park? Rake the Flint river? Volunteered to help anti-homo Joe with his homework? Take a wrecking ball to an abandoned crack house. Has he written a big fat check to the Whaley Childrens Home or anything like that? Donate money for a gun buy back program?
Hey....Im just asking!
Shocked

Post Fri May 25, 2007 10:09 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Oh bubba, I couldnt disagree more...cleaning up a park, making a donation...those are the EASY things that can be done by ANYONE. Through his work, bringing attention DOES help solve problems, not cleaning up the damn Flint River.

Attention + Information =ACTION

What Michael Moore has done HAS helped Flint, and other communities that have struggled with the same economics, gun violence, health care issues and failed domestic and foreign policies...he's told the truth! You don't have to give money to help...you need to change the way people think and act to make a difference. Any idiot with some dough can write a check to a nonprofit that will have limited impact on a few clients. or clean up a park that will be misused and be shitty in another year.

Michael Moore has the strength, the courage and the BALLS to point out hypocrisy and greed in our government and corporations. He brings the nation's attention to these issues so that we as a country, can be informed enough and demand more from our politicians and hold them accountable for their actions.

You must think locally by acting globally!!

So many ask me why I am no longer a social worker. THe impact on one child at a time was not enough for me--I wasnt making that big of a difference, But once I started to research the needs of youth in Detroit, develop community programs, and eventually become a fundraiser to support these programs, it was much more clear to me that impact on a wider scale is how change happens. In essence, Michael Moore does the same thing..On a grander scale, he mobilizes the people so they can make the informed decision to change their communities. That to me is making a difference, not by a writing a one time check (unless your rich enough to sustain an organization's operating budget each year) or picking trash out of a park.

fight fight fight!

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Which Hospital in Davison was he born at?

At What age did he move to Davison?

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
horse hockey pucks....

MM is from Davison.

Davison is not Flint. Flint is not Davison.

The main connection is that MM made a movie about GM and its business decision's impacts on FLINT, because that is where the GM plants were located.

sorry Roscoe, MM's accolades are his...not Flint's or Davison's.

if Davison residents want to have home-town pride in one of their own, that's their perogative.

Those people applauding probably haven't a clue where MM spent his youth and certainly are NOT applauding Flint, Michigan.

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:20 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

AL MM does more for Flint than is publicized.
He has given a ton of money to Flint charities!
He has done so much for this community, but
we don't give him the credit he deserves!

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
I applaude Michael Moore for his success and what he had done to make a name for himself....at the expense of Flintstones or not. When anyone can succeed and make it out of Flint, I applaud them.
My sole issue with Michael Moore is....his lack of effort to help the greater community of Flint. Maybe Im wrong but what has he done to help? He might of brought attention to the problems that Flint has had over the past quarter century but bringing attention to a problem doesnt do a damn thing to solve the problem.
It's time to put up or shut up Mr. Moore.....prove your worth...show us why people like Ryan Eashoo (no offense Ryan!) are fanning you and shoving grapes in your face.
I'll place this question to Ryan.....what has Mr. Moore done to help improve the situation here in Flint? Has he helped clean a park? Rake the Flint river? Volunteered to help anti-homo Joe with his homework? Take a wrecking ball to an abandoned crack house. Has he written a big fat check to the Whaley Childrens Home or anything like that? Donate money for a gun buy back program?
Hey....Im just asking!
Shocked

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:22 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I believe MM has made us wake up and stop blaming people who's fault it is Flint has declined. MM has made us say"Shit the Bed!, we need to get off our ass's and start making this town better". We ALL need to do our part to create a better place to live, in order to insure the rabbit population doesn't become extinct because everyone is selling rabbits for pets or meat.

MM has given hundreds of thousands of dollars to local charities!

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
Hey....Im just asking!
Shocked

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:24 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
Oh bubba, I couldnt disagree more...cleaning up a park, making a donation...those are the EASY things that can be done by ANYONE. Through his work, bringing attention DOES help solve problems, not cleaning up the damn Flint River.

Attention + Information =ACTION

What Michael Moore has done HAS helped Flint, and other communities that have struggled with the same economics, gun violence, health care issues and failed domestic and foreign policies...he's told the truth! You don't have to give money to help...you need to change the way people think and act to make a difference. Any idiot with some dough can write a check to a nonprofit that will have limited impact on a few clients. or clean up a park that will be misused and be shitty in another year.

Michael Moore has the strength, the courage and the BALLS to point out hypocrisy and greed in our government and corporations. He brings the nation's attention to these issues so that we as a country, can be informed enough and demand more from our politicians and hold them accountable for their actions.

You must think locally by acting globally!!

So many ask me why I am no longer a social worker. THe impact on one child at a time was not enough for me--I wasnt making that big of a difference, But once I started to research the needs of youth in Detroit, develop community programs, and eventually become a fundraiser to support these programs, it was much more clear to me that impact on a wider scale is how change happens. In essence, Michael Moore does the same thing..On a grander scale, he mobilizes the people so they can make the informed decision to change their communities. That to me is making a difference, not by a writing a one time check (unless your rich enough to sustain an organization's operating budget each year) or picking trash out of a park.

fight fight fight!

Post Sat May 26, 2007 1:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Photo of Michael Moore giving $5,000 to Flint charity:

Photo of Michael Moore presenting $100,000 check from Miramax to Flint charities:

Ms. Garcia, that was simply one of the best written pieces about Moore's greater agenda and I could not have written it better myself.

Thank you for that. You get it. Apparently it's a concept that is too abstract for most people in Flint to understand. Shame.

Oh, and to the critics who say Michael Moore does not give back to Flint, I say a picture is worth $100,000 words...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Post Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

right on roscoe/shawn, and thanks for the words...

Last edited by MetroGirl on Sun May 27, 2007 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

This city should be embracing Michael Moore moore than it does.
If we really embraced him, we could accomplish much more, we should
be piggy backing off his success!

Flint helped create Michael Moore!

Post Sun May 27, 2007 1:38 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Roscoe!

quote:
Roscoe Van Zandt schreef:
Photo of Michael Moore giving $5,000 to Flint charity:

Photo of Michael Moore presenting $100,000 check from Miramax to Flint charities:

Ms. Garcia, that was simply one of the best written pieces about Moore's greater agenda and I could not have written it better myself.

Thank you for that. You get it. Apparently it's a concept that is too abstract for most people in Flint to understand. Shame.

Oh, and to the critics who say Michael Moore does not give back to Flint, I say a picture is worth $100,000 words...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post Sun May 27, 2007 1:39 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: