FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Who will be the Next Ombudsman???

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford

With the local Internet leadership on the Ombudsman issue I think it appears the Ombudsman might stay in Flint. Thinking ahead the question should be: Who should be the next Ombudsman? Perhaps Terry could weigh in on this? I think it would be pretty pathetic if you guys get this victory and end up with another Ombudsman that ends up on sick leave or just sitting around cashing a pay check. Personally if I was in charge which I'm not I would make one of the leaders that helped try and save the Ombudsman the Ombudsman but that is just my personal opinion. I'm curious who you guys should think should get the job. I wonder if Ted would want the job? He seems the most vocal. It's one thing to complain about the police and us needing an Ombudsman but with a bad or unspectacular Ombudsman you may have something to complain about for the next 7 years. How fun? I think we should start looking at possible candidates and getting support to the council meetings otherwise I will be saying I told you so for the next 7 years!!!

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:02 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

You definitely bring up a good point. As the former council was setting the officer up to fail. Who is to say this council will do any better. Maybe we should look up the qualifications for this office. Although. If the Mayor has his way. the qualifications will be changed so that he, through his council can appoint someone that falls in line with his agenda. Unfortunately I don’t believe Wanting justice is one of the qualifications. Although I could be wrong.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

CITY OF FLINT

0MBUDSMAN

Appointed by the Flint City Council, the OMBUDSMAN receives and processes complaints regarding employees, agents, and agencies of the City of Flint; conducts investigations and hearings and reports findings.

The position requires the ability to develop and implement sound administrative and management policies; conduct a variety of types of research, analyze complex data, and prepare summary reports; to communicate effectively in writing and orally; and to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public, City employees and City officials.

Letter of interest and resume must be received NO LATER than FEBRUARY 15, 2006 and should be sent to:

Inez M. Brown, City Clerk
Search Committee
Flint City Hall
1101 S. Saginaw Street, Room 201C
Flint, MI 48502

The City of Flint is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:49 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
With the local Internet leadership on the Ombudsman issue I think it appears the Ombudsman might stay in Flint. Thinking ahead the question should be: Who should be the next Ombudsman? Perhaps Terry could weigh in on this? I think it would be pretty pathetic if you guys get this victory and end up with another Ombudsman that ends up on sick leave or just sitting around cashing a pay check. Personally if I was in charge which I'm not I would make one of the leaders that helped try and save the Ombudsman the Ombudsman but that is just my personal opinion. I'm curious who you guys should think should get the job. I wonder if Ted would want the job? He seems the most vocal. It's one thing to complain about the police and us needing an Ombudsman but with a bad or unspectacular Ombudsman you may have something to complain about for the next 7 years. How fun? I think we should start looking at possible candidates and getting support to the council meetings otherwise I will be saying I told you so for the next 7 years!!!

Adam Ford
webmaster@mysearchisover.com
http://mysearchisover.com

FORD-With the local Internet leadership on the Ombudsman issue I think it appears the Ombudsman might stay in Flint.

BANKERT-We are well on our way but not there yet.

Q: How many people read these posts. How many of those reside in Flint, Of thoses how many will vote? Our weight is coming from the BUZZ we have created within the community group, church,union and traditional opinion leader/political structure.

We have to keep this buzz going. Its a 50/50 bet today thanks to you all.

FORD:Thinking ahead the question should be: Who should be the next Ombudsman? Perhaps Terry could weigh in on this? I think it would be pretty pathetic if you guys get this victory and end up with another Ombudsman that ends up on sick leave or just sitting around cashing a pay check.

BANKERT- The more we can cause public discusion by our advocacy efforts and can wake up the community group, church,union and traditional opinion leader/political structure the higher the probability a good ombudsman will be created.

It take 6 votes of the Flint City Council to hire the Ombudsman. What council person do you have clout with? Who can you influence?

But I bet there are people in the community group, church,union and traditional opinion leader/political structure that you have access to that have access to and influence with council persons.

Encourage them to engage in this debate.

The individual council person when contacted by their constituents and the leadeship within their wards will listen.

My objective is to be a part of causing the office to be retained and encouraging good people to apply for the position.

Then I will lobby the community group, church,union and traditional opinion leader/political structure to pressure the council to make a good pick.

FORD-Personally if I was in charge which I'm not I would make one of the leaders that helped try and save the Ombudsman the Ombudsman but that is just my personal opinion. I'm curious who you guys should think should get the job. I wonder if Ted would want the job? He seems the most vocal. It's one thing to complain about the police and us needing an Ombudsman...

BANKERT- We need a strong minded intelligent peson from Flint with true community concerns that will be demonstrated by past actions.

Ford-... but with a bad or unspectacular Ombudsman you may have something to complain about for the next 7 years. How fun? I think we should start looking at possible candidates and getting support to the council meetings otherwise I will be saying I told you so for the next 7 years!!!

BANKERT- I am not sure but I think the job pays about $100,000. (It will be the same as Inez Brown.) And it will last 7 years. Get this word out and watch who lines up and will become overnite supporters of the office.

Bankert- You have to lobby the Flint City Council to get the job. But once in a strong minded person will realize that their real power is by community support. Their real target is the city bureaucracy not the mayor, not the council.

terrybankert 02/06/05
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

So what goes in a letter of Intent?
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Letter of interest and resume??
Sure but what tangible qualifications are needed. I don't doubt anyone on the council likes me! Although, I would probably make a good one. I'd have to get some guidance from former ombudsman for a little while. but, I doubt they'd want someone. Who is out for the truth, or justice.
This guy who a few weeks back had his vehicle towed his driveway. (Two weeks to move showed up two days later) He'd have my support 100%. This type of thing has been going on for sometime in Flint. This is only one of the many evidences, of a corrupt Police dept. It is definitely not the first time a vehicle has been towed illegally by the Flint police. Only this time, it was someone who people know. He will win. But what about the hundreds of poor people who couldn’t fight back, or people in power just blew off, because they are the poor of this city, second class citizens. You know the ones. We that live on the eastside. The ones that when the police do finally grace us with their presence. They treat the victim like the criminal.

Now, once the Ombudsman finds the City is in the wrong, What can the ombudsman do? Can they overrule the Mayor or Council. Can they mandate restitution from the city? Can the Ombudsman make or change policy? If alls that he can do is attempt to find a happy medium. I wouldn’t want the job. I don’t believe in compromising the truth. When the city or city representatives abuse their authority. They should be reprimanded for it and the victim compensated or the injustice made right!
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:37 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, but if I applied for the job and got it I'd have to remove my website cityofflint.net.
Post Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:43 am 
Adam Ford

Ted if you got the job I don't see what the problem of having a website would cause. If you did get the job I would strongly recommend you keeping that. I think the Ombudsman should be an open office that is highly visible. I also think the Ombudsman should go to the council meetings to hear community complaints. I think the letter of interest is just a cover letter. If you guys do win this I will have to meet with Terry and figure out how you guys networked so fast. FlintCitizen seems to be doing very well. it is not easy starting a group out of the blue so fast. I thought the Ombudsman was a good as dead but it is seeming to me like the likely voters are taking the side of the ombudsman.

On a side note are you guys going to have anyone at the precincts on election day? If you had 70 supporters you could cover every precinct in Flint. That would be tough to pull off but would be amazing if you could. You might get away with placing your signs at the precincts though.

There's a chance I might apply. I think Josh Freeman would have been a good candidate but he will not be able to get consideration. Does the council know you Ted? If I was the council I would try and get someone popular from the 4th ward to try and keep you guys from mounting a recall. I think this council should be smart enough to try and make a good choice otherwise we might really have some political discord in this town. lol I really think this council better pick someone with technical savy otherwise I might turn into a Toni Palidino. If we do keep this office I think it should at least be run effectively unlike many other departments.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well I'm sure they know of me. As far as actually know me. I doubt it. Although, If the TV news that contacted me does the story on my website. That might boost my popularity. Maybe not with everyone. I'm not saying who contacted me. But it will be interesting if they do. BTW I didn't contact any media. I just posted my thoguhts and observations on www.cityofflint.net. I don't know what kind of story they want to do? Which I've just updated with a few new stories. Comments on the (what else) the Police Dept.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:41 pm 
rapunzel

Yep, Jerr-bear they know of you just floating by....

Silly, just joking!

They do know you and that your issues cannot be resolved. How many other citizens do they place in that category? Oh well, They won't be happy regardless ...so do nothing?

Give us an active Ombudsman! If there is a real issue there take it on! If it is a non-issue let it be known. Perception is omnipotent.
Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:20 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: