FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor to Restore Housing commision

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5336005

FLINT (WJRT) - (05/24/07)--A major shakeup at the Flint Housing Commission was announced Thursday by Flint's mayor -- a day after federal HUD officials shared their concerns about the local housing agency in public.

Federal Housing and Urban Development officials laid out their concerns privately to Flint's mayor two weeks ago. Wednesday they laid them out publicly in front of the Flint City Council.

They indicated that lack of a consistent executive director at the Flint housing office and the controversy surrounding the board that hires the executive director has been having a significant impact on residents in Flint's low-income housing areas for years.

The problem is now so severe there are 1,000 people on waiting lists to get in to low-income housing.

But there are very few units available because there's been no director to to process some $2.5 million available for renovating many units that have been boarded up for years.

In response to HUD concerns, the mayor announced he's removing the housing commission board members he appointed a few years ago.

"I will immediately recommend to the Flint City Council that the present board members be removed," said Flint Mayor Don Williamson.

"I will also recommend that the former employees of the Flint Housing Commission be restored to their original positions."

The mayor concedes the board he appointed didn't work out as he had hoped.

"A lot of times people have a personality conflict and can't achieve the goal we set out to do," he said. "I think they were doing a fantastic job. I think they got off track."

Before HUD came here, a week or 10 days before we asked Williamson if he had asked for their resignation. He said yes.

The mayor's request for replacing the housing commission board now goes to council for approval.

The mayor says he will also recommend former interim Housing Director John Carpenter to be returned to the executive director's position.

Post Thu May 24, 2007 6:28 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

CITY OF FLINT, MICHIGAN, CODE OF ORDINANCES, Contains 2005 S-4, current through Ordinance 3650, passed 4-25-05. http://www.amlegal.com/library/mi/flint.shtml

Chapter 2, Article IV, Housing Commission.
ARTICLE IV. HOUSING COMMISSION

§ 2-17 CREATED.
Pursuant to MSA §§ 5.3011 to 5.3056(2), a commission is hereby created for the City, to be known as the “Flint Housing Commission.”

(Ord. 1788, passed 7-27-64)

§ 2-18 POWERS AND DUTIES.
The Flint Housing Commission shall have all the powers and duties vested or permitted to be vested in housing commissions by State law, it being the intention of this article to vest in the Flint Housing Commission all powers and duties permitted by law.

(Ord. 1788, passed 7-27-64)

Note the date of publication and the date of the ordinance. If the ordinance were to be updated, the MSA cite would be changed to MCL 125.651-125.696. www.legislature.mi.gov

After reading the MCL reference above, I believe it likely few if any of the city council members, and maybe even few of those persons who were on the Housing Commission, are aware of its contents.

Someone on the city council asked HUD about conflicts of interest. "No member of the housing commission or any of its officers or employes shall have any interest directly or indirectly in any contract for property, materials or services to be acquired by said commission." MCL 125.658. I didn't read anything about HUD mentioning this and it should be stressed and verified as necessary.

There are specific references to income guidelines for tenants, and clear authority to terminate tenancy for occupants using or selling drugs, etc. It is interesting that one member of the housing commission should be a tenant.

If all is done as supposed to be, it should be a positive effect for the City of Flint.
Post Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We need to get this commission up and running again, it sounds like the mayor is doing that

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: