FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Sudan Documentary to Screen at Flint Film Festival

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
bjanu
F L I N T O I D

Facing Sudan , a new documentary from Bell, Book & Camera Productions, tells the story of Sudan through the eyes of ordinary individuals who have been moved into action by what they have seen or experienced there. Bruce David Janu, the director of the film, is a high school history teacher in suburban Chicago. He tells of how he came to be a filmmaker:

Brian Burns was a custodian, sweeping floors in a suburban high school when we first met. This young man, invisible to most people at the school, has a tremendous story to tell. It is the story of suffering, death and, ultimately, of hope.

It is the story of Sudan.

I didn't intend to make a full-length feature film about the situation in Sudan. In fact, I just set out to make a short, educational film in which Brian discusses his work in Sudan. But when we sat down for a first interview, the stories he told me about babies dying in his arms, about government planes harassing villages, I knew this story could not be told in ten minutes.

I started to put a longer cut together but then an amazing thing happened: I began meeting more ordinary people who have an intense passion for Sudan: a grandmother, a pediatrician, a textbook editor and mother, a few refugees from that war-torn nation, a high school senior.

Facing Sudan is not just about the country and its history of conflict. It is about activism. It is about hope and compassion. It is through their stories that we can glimpse the passion---the spark---that has driven these people to dedicate their lives to a country torn apart by war and genocide.

Each of them face Sudan in their own way and through them, we can learn not only about the situation in that country, but perhaps a little about ourselves.

And, more importantly, recognize that ordinary people can do extraordinary things.

Facing Sudan will screen at the Flint Film Festival , Saturday May 19, 2007. The screening will take place at the Regional Technology Center at Mott Community College at 4:30.

For more information about the film, visit facingsudan.com [/url]
Post Wed May 16, 2007 9:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

I was screener for the festival and Facing Sudan was one of the best movies I watched. If you are coming to the festival try to see it. The schedule is available at the FFF website http://www.flintfilmfest.com/. I think we have a really good group of documentaries this year.
Post Thu May 17, 2007 8:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I want to see it!

quote:
lunchlady schreef:
I was screener for the festival and Facing Sudan was one of the best movies I watched. If you are coming to the festival try to see it. The schedule is available at the FFF website http://www.flintfilmfest.com/. I think we have a really good group of documentaries this year.

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: