FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Personal Debts Vex 10 School Board Candidates Uncommon Sense
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

May 2007
Personal Debts Vex 10 School Board Candidates: Background Checks Reveal Bankruptcies, Tax Liens, Debt Collection Suits or Foreclosures for 10 Flint School Board Candidates

Click the link for more information!

http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&status=active&home%5fflag=cover&-find

Post Mon May 07, 2007 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
May 2007
Personal Debts Vex 10 School Board Candidates: Background Checks Reveal Bankruptcies, Tax Liens, Debt Collection Suits or Foreclosures for 10 Flint School Board Candidates

Click the link for more information!

http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&status=active&home%5fflag=cover&-find

I heard this story was given to the Journal TV5 and TV 12 . TV 5 ran it at 6am and put it on their web site then pulled it? TV 12 and Journal did not run it. Is this true about 5?
Post Mon May 07, 2007 4:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
KW
F L I N T O I D

Ah...Wow!!!...
Post Mon May 07, 2007 4:52 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

dang, just as Roman broached this topic on his show, life intervened and by the time I returned he had moved on to another topic!

what? no callers on this for Matt Zacks?

question I have; timing.

Why at the last minute? Was it because they didn't have the facts/story until now?

My concern:

some will posture this as last minute-bomb-shell..in order to influence the election improperly. Flammatory, provocative etc.

My take: just the opposite. Coming at the last minute, this information will not receive the measured and close examination it deserves. The sheer number of people and charges/issues involved means it will take time to absorb and then determine the "so what?"

So, the issue is, do we trust people to make good decisions regarding complex and difficult issues, especially regarding finances, when they exhibit an inability if not blatant disregard for similar issues in their personal life?

Naawwwwww, the ONLY criteria is whether you have kids going to the FCS...right AC? That is the only requirement that determines who is acceptable and apparently, capability isn't even a consideration. Right AC?

The only criteria is the amount of melanin in the skin, right Herbie? otherwise, its all apartheid!

and you wonder WHY FCS is in the condition it is in?......get a clue.

Too many people think the criteria for success has nothing to do with the capability of the person...rather how many off-spring they enrolled and where...

Post Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Were there NO public records for the other candidates?
Post Mon May 07, 2007 6:19 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Nice job to the reporters at Uncommon Sense.

Nobody should be surprised by any of this. When people yell and scream and try to point out faults in other people, it ALWAYS means they have something to hide themselves. Is anybody really surprised that Herb and A.C. have financial issues?

It certainly is depressing that half the school board candidates can't even manage their own finances! I've said it before, I'll say it again - Only in Flint.

My question is why would the Journal bury such a story. This is relevant stuff - a school system in financial crisis and board members and candidates trying to be elected to manage the crisis when they have their own financial woes. Shame on the Flint Journal! Great for Uncommon Sense!

I'm sure AC and Herb will try to spin this as the Great Schools Initiative (i.e. THE MAN) trying to take them down.........but didn't the Great School endorse Topping too?

Only in Flint!

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Mon May 07, 2007 7:05 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

From Flint Town Talk
http://www.mlive.com/forums/flint/index.ssf

10822.3. Why was this story yanked from TV 5? by
trbankert, 5/7/07 20:58 ET
Re: Bankruptcy and school board candidates by trbankert, 5/7/07
From the email....
This was posted to the channel Wnem web site this morning on the 6 am news.
Why was this story killed?
From the WNEM website:Flint Election Troubles
May 7, 2007 09:13 AM EDT
(TV-5) -- The Flint Board of Education race is heating up with Election Day just around the corner. Now, word is surfacing about some of the candidates' financial history.
Just one day before the election, a report published by The Uncommon Sense states at least 10 of the 21 candidates has some serious type of financial problems. The investigative report says some candidates have declared bankruptcy, have debt collection lawsuits and federal tax liens.
Leading the group with close to $115,000 in open and unpaid debts is incumbent vice president Herbert Cleaves. The IRS has filed numerous tax liens against Cleaves claiming he was delinquent on income taxes between 1992 and 2003. Last year he was evicted from his Flint home when he got behind on his mortgage payment, the bill close to $70,000.
Following Cleaves is candidate John Topping Jr. The Flint attorney allegedly has close to $62,000 in back taxes. The IRS first hit him back in 2004, prior to that Topping filed for bankruptcy protection in 2002. He was discharged after agreeing to keep up his mortgage and car payments.
Another discovery in The Uncommon Sense report, incumbent board president Stephanie Robb Martin and six other candidates have filed for bankruptcies against creditors.
The report is based on public records from Flint, Genesee County and the Federal Bankruptcy Court.

Stay with TV5 for more information on this story throughout the day. ...
The commercial media backed off from this news...why?
Post Mon May 07, 2007 8:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"The commercial media backed off from this news...why?"

"duh"

ask a rhetorical question, get a rhetorical answer.

because they are afraid of:
a. being accused of racism.
b. Of 11th hour character assasination, because the "accused" really wouldn't have a chance to respond and an evaluation of that response
c. because in the grand scheme of things, perhaps the personal peccadillos of school board members aren't considered news worthy.
d. a & b
e. none of the above.

you may begin the test.

by the way, don't include Channel 12, WXYT, in the catagories of commercial news outlets.

The "sunshine and lollipop" broadcasts are merely locally produced feel good shows ala Regis & Kelly, Racheal Ray, etc....

nothing newsworthy when the stories are chosen with how well they complement Angie's outfit or Taryn's lip gloss color.

forgeddaboudit......

what an embarrassment. bring back ch 66 news, the only ones to ACTUALLY do investigative broadcast journalism.

and the Urinal? well.......

Post Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 pm 
Eastsider
F L I N T O I D

Adam Ford: I’ve been reading some of your posts on other venues/forums. I can only think of one of two possibilities: 1) You honestly believe that AC Dumas is good for the city of Flint – if that’s the case, then you’re a terrible judge of character and you can kiss your political butt goodbye. 2) You’re on AC’s payroll and considering the minimal amount of payroll that AC has-----you get what you pay for – and you’re worthless.

You’re not a political “has been”…………….you’re a political “never was”

Nice try but you don’t have what it takes to survive in the political arena.

Eastsider

p.s. Just a recommendation: He’s not a friend, more of a respected acquaintance….and when he figures out who I am he’ll insist that I back off……..but tread lightly with Mike Cross…………you mentioned in an earlier post that you think “he seems like a nice guy”………….well, you’re right………he is a nice guy. But keep in mind that for every part Mister Rogers………..he’s equal parts Hannibel Lecter. Trust me, you DON’T want to get on his bad side.
Post Mon May 07, 2007 11:07 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

10822.3.1.1.1. Candidates or community
by trbankert, 5/8/07 7:22 ET
Re: Bankruptcy and school board candidates by trbankert, 5/8/07
Fairness is interpreted by the individual. The Journal, 12 and 5 killed the story based on a human sense of fairness, the candidates could not respond. Fairness should be measured by the standards of professional journalism.
A bankruptcy filing and discharge is a given much like the Anthony CSC conviction. There is no need for response time.

Zacks position seems to be that of a professional journalist, once the product was ready for release, and not before, to hold back release would be a political decision.

Zacks appears to have made the right decision.

What standards should guide our institutions. Mainstrean , professional, big league , of the highest order...I suggest these..An yes Matt you are too an institution. " The alternative press.." Its refreshing.

I have tasted the lash of this whip and its just the way it goes, there is so little to measure a candidate by, we must use the public record, all of it...

Its refreshing to see standards in play...
Post Tue May 08, 2007 6:24 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Eastsider schreef:
But keep in mind that for every part Mister Rogers………..he’s equal parts Hannibel Lecter. Trust me, you DON’T want to get on his bad side.

LOL. Eastsider, come on - that's the best you could do? I don't even like Chianti! The least you could do is compare me to a real villian: Caligula or Vlad Dracul would have been more poetic. Smile
Post Tue May 08, 2007 11:22 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The answer is #1 and I still support AC. There are only the handful of people that care about good government that show up to speak at the council meetings and he is one of the few.

I think we need a board president that has tenacity, that can speak out in the black and white segregated communities. Although some white people got annoyed with the facts AC pointed the underlying issue is Flint hires people from outside of Flint which is good for the white people outside of Flint but not as good for the white people in Flint that don't get hired.

I don't really care if people try and "get me" or whatever for supporting AC but if you're really an Eastsider maybe you should look at the Economic Developement plan for the Eastside.

It doesn't really surprise me that various candidates have financial troubles. From what I've run into a lot of people in Flint only live hear bacause they have financial troubles. If I had to guess I'd say 50% of Flint residents have pretty bad credit but the figure could be 75% or even higher. If you have bad credit you may not even be able to get an apartment outside of Flint.

If it makes you feel better about your nameless self good job about pointing out that I don't have a lot of political clout. lol I'm 27, white, Republican, not wealthy, Live on the Eastside and only been if Flint a couple years. I'm also not real happy about having to support a democratic precinct delegate (A.C. Dumas) but I think he was the better choice.

About the only Republican I know that has had a lot of political success in a city as heavily democratic in Flint was Giuliani but he at least had a partisan race to help him win mayor.

On a more serious note I will definately support Cross if he wins. But I think there's some people that do actually have some clout that will oppose him vigorously.

quote:
Eastsider schreef:
Adam Ford: I’ve been reading some of your posts on other venues/forums. I can only think of one of two possibilities: 1) You honestly believe that AC Dumas is good for the city of Flint – if that’s the case, then you’re a terrible judge of character and you can kiss your political butt goodbye. 2) You’re on AC’s payroll and considering the minimal amount of payroll that AC has-----you get what you pay for – and you’re worthless.

You’re not a political “has been”…………….you’re a political “never was”

Nice try but you don’t have what it takes to survive in the political arena.

Eastsider

p.s. Just a recommendation: He’s not a friend, more of a respected acquaintance….and when he figures out who I am he’ll insist that I back off……..but tread lightly with Mike Cross…………you mentioned in an earlier post that you think “he seems like a nice guy”………….well, you’re right………he is a nice guy. But keep in mind that for every part Mister Rogers………..he’s equal parts Hannibel Lecter. Trust me, you DON’T want to get on his bad side.

Post Tue May 08, 2007 12:35 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I have to say Matt Zachs did a great job on this, I hope they focus more on investigative reporting!! Like the delphi health records story!

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

My old friend, Matt Zacks and his team at the Uncommon Sense, are the best!!

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yes they are!! You should move back to Flint Velda and work for them!!!

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
My old friend, Matt Zacks and his team at the Uncommon Sense, are the best!!

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: