FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: kicked out

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

School suspensions scrutinized
FLINT — Kendrell Pugh was kicked out of school for calling his principal “dawg.”
And for wearing a coat in class. And for being in the bathroom at class time. And for hitting an assistant principal. And more.
In all, he’s been suspended 55 times in five years — 10 times last year and four times this year before he temporarily dropped out of Northern High School in frustration. He’s now 16 and father to a 4-month-old boy — conceived, he believes, during one of last year’s suspensions.
Saying Kendrell isn’t alone would be a severe understatement. Flint had 19,310 students last year and 20,189 suspensions. That’s 105 suspensions for every 100 students. It’s two to three times as many suspensions recorded in similar districts such as Saginaw, Pontiac, Grand Rapids and Lansing.
Locally, only one district — much smaller Westwood Heights — experienced the same or more suspensions per student average than Flint in recent years. No one else came close.
The reasons are wide-ranging. Educators cite emotional problems of students, lack of parent support and the breakdown of the family — all tied to poverty.
Others, particularly parents and students, blame teachers and administrators who they say don’t care and would rather kick a child out than take the time to learn why a problem is occurring.
Find out more as a two-day series by staff writer Matt Bach kicks off in Sunday's Flint Journal

[Rapunzel]- this is the short version of Matt Bach's article probably destined to win him another award. NOTE- the fact this student showcased hit the asst. principal is more prevelant in the short version. In another education article it states 82% of dropouts are headed for the jail system.

Can Flint schools afford to have a teacher or two in every school for in school suspensions? through Title I funding we focus on an extra staff member for Accelerated Reading. Literacy is and should be our focus. We do have teachers that volunteer to teach after school detention. NOTE: this is not paid but voluntary. I have seen 6th graders suspended for hitting a teacher. 1 or 2 trouble makers can pull the teachers attention away from the other 25 or so students. Parents should teach children how to behave.
Your Thoughts?
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:07 pm 
Adam Ford

My thoughts are Flint schools suck. Look at their performance. There as schools in poorer countries and poorer districts in the US that outperform Grand Blanc schools let alone Flint schools. I've tried sharing ideas with Flint schools by contacting teachers and administrators but they really have no reason to listen to me. They are making their money regardless of whether or not the schools improve. Most likely the classes are very boring and the kids learn very little. I bet I could teach a kid web design faster than a Flint techer could teach addition. It would probably be easier for me to work with gang members to improve Flint schools than to work with the administration. Ironically gang members probably have more business since than a lot of school officials. Sorry if this sounds negative because it is. I have had a very negative experience trying to work to improve Flint schools. If I ever have a child attend a Flint school I will be sure and teach them myself. I would not trust Flint schools to adequately teach any child especially my own.
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:31 pm 
rapunzel

BAD Form! Who did you contact? it would probably, most likely. I bet I could? Where are your facts, Adam? Have you ever been to a board meeting? but they really have no reason to listen to me? I mentioned I would try to help you but a bit busy right now. I haven't been to a school board meeting lately but many of the city meetings are the same night. Take a deep breath only positive will promote.

work with Ismael, get a background check. If you had a child in this system would you let just anyone volunteer? Think about it...
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:52 pm 
Adam Ford

I've contacted the school board and some teachers and a principle or too. Sorry for going off but I'm used to things being so faster. In addition I know what I've learned in school and what I've learned on my own. I learned much more on my own. Don't worry though. I think I will just sit down and shut up and focus on just growing revenue on my own and then when the time comes I will use money to get what I need. Who is Ismael? I don't really even need to work with students. I could teach anyone with half a brain what I need and they could work with students. I think when I get things going I will just by off representatives and let them do my recruiting for me. Money talks and in a year or two I should have the money for this town to start listening to me. I was just trying to help people out in the meantime but oh well. I feel bad for people losing there jobs especially when I am wondering if I will even need to work past 30.
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:30 pm 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:08 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well I have a few thoughts on this subject also.
The Neighbor kid who is form a broken home. Was attending Flushing during his elementary years. His grandfather lived out there and mom could drive him or grand pa pick him up or drop him off sometimes. After Grandpa Passed away his mother couldn't keep running back and forth by herself. The child never had any problems at Flushing. And he was getting exceptional Grades. His first week in Public school he was suspended.
His account (and I have no reason to not believe him) was it was racial. He was being singled out of a group. Of kids because he was “Fighting back.” Sad thing is I grew up in flint schools but moved half way through. I know exactly what he was saying. And I know not all the suspensions are legitimate. When the parent went to the school to talk to the administration. They were rude and obnoxious from the first words spoken by them.

The majority of the problems are BAD parenting (but not all). The school has a responsibility to teach and provide a safe learning environment. Discipline is not handed out evenly. If it was. The schools would be called racist. It is just a simple fact. Too many people blame it on Culture. It’s not Culture. Those majority of kids that cause trouble have bad parents/parent. Color is not the issue. However, whenever anyone attempts to tackle the problem honestly. All of a sudden they are a racist.

The problem here is that it is not the government’s responsibility to teach people how to be parents. Flint has over one third of it’s population being raised by the government now. So that is all they know. Government is not a good parent. Doesn’t matter black or white. One third of this city is on the public dole. Sure, poverty is a problem here. But, Poverty doesn’t excuse poor parenting, crime or lack of education. Too many great people in this United States where raised in poverty and turned out to be great leaders in this country, Colon Powell, Ken Hamblin, Oprah Winfrey. Most had excellent parents. Some even accomplished it with terrible parents.

Most know me for being constantly after the city for some accountability. Most of these problems with the schools could be solved with some personal accountability and parental responsibility. Stop blaming what you can do something about and just do it.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

quote:
Chanel227 schreef:
I guess I'm confused. Everytime my friend's kids make a false move, no matter how slight, they are suspended! What kind of punishment is that? They hate school. No wonder they act up. It gets them out! Are the teachers just lazy or so uneducated they dont have a clue how to motivate better behavior? What happened to detention? Make them stay in school even LONGER! That ought to work. The dont need extra staff to monitor detentions..just a few that actually give a care to spend an extra hour or two once in a while. That would be better than the "I dont care about you..get the heck out of my life" attitude of today.

You make a good point, thank you. We have after school detentions at my child's building. Teachers rotate this volunteer responsibility. Two teachers once a week one for k-3 students and one for 4-6. Not all teachers volunteer as this is not in their contract...but enough to share responsibility.

The problem is transportation if a bussed student gets detention Mom will call the building and say, "I have no way to pick up Johnny so send him home on the bus." Well, we also say if one detention is missed two detentions will follow. Parents are given adequate notice on detentions. Mom will call again Please send Johnny home as I can not pick him up after detention. Hmmm... she can find a ride to get her nails done!

This is a good arguement for local community home schools in regards to parent involvement. If my child was given detention I would stand behind this requirement and ride a city bus if need be to pick my child up.

Sometimes suspending a child is the only option if a child is disrupting the learning of the other 26 children in the classroom.

One student recently hit my child, this was dealt with but before this child could be taken home he hit another child. Like ,what the heck I am already suspended. Now my child walks a big circle to avoid this child and his friends. She is fearful to be near him. The troubled child that may need counseling and intervention had stolen another childs markers. So my daughter returned the pilfered articles. As her back was turned he hit her. The principal called me and explained measures were taken but now my child is in fear in her classroom. We very much need in school detention and that would take more staff that we do not have.

The schools have a responsibility to provide a safe learning environment. PERIOD.
Post Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:54 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: