FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: May 15th is "Do not buy gas day"

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

On May 15th we as Americans are banning together and not buying gas on that day in protest of the super high gas prices. This was done back in the 70's (for those who can remember that far back) and the price of a gallon of gas dropped 30 cents the next day, and it stayed down and continued to drop.
We must do this so plan on getting yuor gas days before so you are not buying gas on May 15th.
Richard
Post Thu May 03, 2007 8:24 am 
Ronnie
F L I N T O I D

Ya know Richard I mean no disrespect, but IMO, this is not the answer. If a scam like this actually DID work, what good does it do? Nothing! If you really want to take a stand and do something, how about: Buy a more economical car, drive less, walk or ride a bike if you can, drive 55 to 60 on the highway, let your lawn grow taller, etc.

Maybe you do these things I dont know, but every time I see one of these posts in email for or whatever, I roll my eyes. The onl way we are going to lower gas prices is SLOW the demand on a continuous basis. Not a day or a week, but on a constant basis. I always laugh at people at the pump when they moan and complain about gas prices, yet drive full size SUV's (cause they are the ones who seem to complain the most...simply because it costs $70 plus to fill the tank). It's like..."hello! Don't buy such a big vehicle!"
Post Thu May 03, 2007 4:26 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Very valid points and agree with most but, when oil is at $64 and gas is over $3.00 the oil companies are taking us to the cleaners. Two years ago when oil was at $78 gas was only at $3.21. Where to you think gas prices will be if oil goes that high this summer due to whatever? It will be 4-5 dollars a gallon.
We have to take a stand sometime and it worked in the 70's, it will work today.
DO NOT BUY GAS ON MAY 15th.
Post Fri May 04, 2007 8:05 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I'm all for not buying gas on May 15th, but here is my problem. This protest was thought up a week or two, maybe three week ago when gas was still around 2.89 or 2.99 a gallon. Since then, it has gone up to 3.25... so if we protest now, is it going to just go back down to 2.99 and we will have basically gained nothing?
Post Fri May 04, 2007 8:14 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Tegan, don't stress yourself.

please do go to Snopes . com, the internet site that evaluates all the email scams etc...you'll find the "boycott gas for one day" AND ALL that it supposedly did in the past listed.

By the way, as rational consumers, IF boycotting gas for one day. or against a certain seller was effective, DON'T YOU THINK IT WOULD BE HAVE EMPLOYED REGULARLY, and NOT every 30 YEARS???? You're educated aren't you? Think about it, and consumer behavior.

come on wake up.

this email spoof makes its rounds quite regularly.

Post Fri May 04, 2007 9:51 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

truthfully i didn't really get the whole scam thing. I remember a year or less ago there was another day that we didn't buy gas. Maybe it was just the west side of the state, or just WMU.
Post Fri May 04, 2007 3:48 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warning ADULT LANGUAGE!!

Pappy loses control over the price of gas!

Post Sat May 05, 2007 9:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:
truthfully i didn't really get the whole scam thing. I remember a year or less ago there was another day that we didn't buy gas. Maybe it was just the west side of the state, or just WMU.

meaning avoiding buying gas for one day doesn't do anything meaningfully to gas prices.

its just a spoof to get people to do things. the internet is full of things like that.

so go ahead and do it for whatever meaningful symbolism it has for you, but don't attribute any significance vis a vis the marketplace.

Post Sun May 06, 2007 12:36 am 
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

I doubt that the gas boycott on May 15th will do any good, but just in case I won't buy gas that day. But I will have to buy it either before or after, so I guess that defeats the purpose. Some sent this to me and it sounds like it could possibly make an impact or at least get some attention. Some of us though are trying to reduce our gas use. I live less than a mile from where I am employed and even closer to the stores and shopping, and I don't drive an SUV.

-------------------------------------------------------------
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

Don't buy gas from EXXON/MOBIL:

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by the end of this summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. This can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably think gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to just
ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you? Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,

please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from
EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.
Post Sun May 06, 2007 8:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Best way to hit 'em in the pocket is to stop buying gas and take up walking. Though we can't all do that, it would be a healthy choice. Smile

Best not to respond to chain mail solicitations but treat it like spam and delete.
Post Sun May 06, 2007 9:28 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

I'm not oppossed to consumer protest. But "don't buy gas day" ain't worth a hill of beans.

In fact, one could argue that it will actually cause more harm than good.....

Think of the time and energy wasted from millions of people trying to organize this protest. My guess is at least 30% of this effort is occuring on company time. This means lost productivity (regardless of what your job duties). Lost productivity has to be made-up or considered lost forever.

When you have to make-up for lost productivity, that which is produced is not efficient. Ineffeciency results in increased energy production (more than is necessary). When you lose productivity forever, it must come from the bottom line...i.e. profit..................when profit is down, investors take their money out of the company and put it in more profitable sources. This results in a loss of jobs for your company - maybe your job.

Obviously it's not this simple.........but when simple minded people plan simple minded protests........they often do more harm than good because the big-picture...........the TRUE big picture based on economics and total utility is never considered.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Mon May 07, 2007 11:16 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

Don't buy gas from EXXON/MOBIL:

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by the end of this summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. This can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably think gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to just
ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you? Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you,

please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from
EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

wow.

do you get these chain/spam/spoof emails often? You ought to look at your mail filter.

usually I suggest people do their own research as to whether or not their suggestion [though usually they are just unthinking tools passing along these chain emails] makes any sense whatsoever.

But, here is a link I offer for your consideration, which shows this "boycott XXX and YY" email has been around for about SIX YEARS for gods sakes..

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

if you are too lazy to read it, let me consolidate it:
its fake/false, untrue it would work

why? basic economic principles: and the fact that gasoline is a FUNGIBLE commodity.

Huh? Well boycott Exxon, Mobil and people go to Shell and Speedway.
S & S demand goes up. What do they do? Raise prices to reduce demand until supply catches up. Where do they get their supply? Why Exxon and Mobil will sell them THEIR gas [because Shell & Speedway can't go out and increase gas production, it takes years].

When you pump gas, you don't know who produced the oil, who refined it, or whose gas you are pumping. A gas distributor serving Exxon stations could easily send the truck to Shell, Speedway or Sams if it suited them.

But do explore the site it will be educational.

Post Mon May 07, 2007 12:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: