FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Manning Court Demolition Stopped

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Charlie
F L I N T O I D

Its great to see that the Genesee County Historical Society is stepping up to the plate and actively fighting for our historic districts. Its an uphill battle that the society has fought for over 50 years with little succuss. Had it not been for them we would not have the Durant Dort Office Building with us today, which has the highest historical designation a building can get as the birthplace of General Motors.

The historical society has been involved in the restoration of the Carriage Factory , Northbank Center, Crossroads Village, Whaley Historical House, and the Flushing Depot. Their members are responsible for restoring most of the historic buildings in the community.....Nash House, Johnson House, Wright Building, Stockton Center, Aldrich House, Kratz House, Randolph House and others.

Lets hope they can convince the judge that the Historic District Commission has failed in doing their jobs and as a result of their actions, all the historic properties that are suppose to be protected by the historic ordinance are now in jepordy. Hopefully the Judge will be more open minded and will look at the alternatives for parking that would save the Manning Street historic district and provide additional parking for the FIM. It is a real shame that the Cultural Center, creatd by Flint people, has lost touch with what the Flint community wants and needs.

Historic Preservation plays a major role in the revilatization of a community. Flint should support it more than they do. Its not too late to let the Cultural Center and FIM know that they need to seek alternatives to demolition and moving before the court date on June 26.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 2:26 pm 
sammie

And there is yet another letter to the editor regarding the Manning Court houses (tonight's paper -- Wednesday). More letters in support of preservation are needed: more criticism of the FIM / FCC are also needed.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 8:29 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Charlie schreef:
It is a real shame that the Cultural Center, creatd by Flint people, has lost touch with what the Flint community wants and needs.
There are more people actively participating in Cultural Center activities than are visiting "Manning Court houses" for their historical value, which speaks quite effectively to what the Flint community wants and needs.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
There are more people actively participating in Cultural Center activities than are visiting "Manning Court houses" for their historical value, which speaks quite effectively to what the Flint community wants and needs.

This isn't an either / or issue. It's not "either the cultural center goes, or manning court goes," its about abuse of power and refusal to compromise or listen to other alternatives.

The reason this case has attracted so many supporters of Manning Court is because so many rules and ordinances have been blatently broken or ignored and I frankly think it disturbs some people.

The way historic districts work in Flint is NOT how most historic districts work in other Michigan towns.

If you live in an historic district and you pay income taxes or property taxes, you should ask yourself: "Why am I not getting a 25% state tax credit for the work I do on my house?"
Post Thu May 03, 2007 10:42 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: