FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: A Message from Dick DeVos

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dear Friends,

Since the election in November, Betsy and I have received wonderful notes of encouragement from so many of you. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Our family has been doing very well and we continue to consider ourselves to be very blessed. In fact, our oldest (Rick) just turned 25. Hard to imagine we have been parents that long. Seems like yesterday we were bringing home our first baby.

In addition, other blessings have come our way. After the first of the year, I started doing what Betsy has been doing for nearly 5 years now, mentoring one day a week with a young 4th grade boy at an urban school in downtown Grand Rapids. I am reminded again of our important responsibility as adults and citizens to be sure America's promise is just as much available to him as it is to our own children.

We've been keeping busy with many different projects too, most importantly helping to make more jobs for Michigan. Our son Rick is continuing to grow his film distribution business (www.spout.com if you are looking for DVD's) and our company, Windquest, in Holland, MI continues to expand and create a better life for more Michigan families, but we can always use more customers..you can check us out at www.windquestco.com . Does anybody need a closet organizer?

In all seriousness, I can assure you that my passion for our state has not changed. I still believe Michigan holds great promise for the future. Betsy and I could never turn our backs on this great state; Michigan is our home. It wouldn't be an easy road, but with real leadership and all of us working together to make Michigan competitive once again, we could already be on the road to recovery.but we're not.

Because of my intense love for this state, I like so many of you, have had to fight back discouragement recently as I've read the headlines across the state. Comerica's announcement that it's leaving Michigan was another tough blow. Comerica has seen Michigan through some dark days, our Tigers play in Comerica Park for crying out loud, but apparently they have concluded that they can no longer make it here in our current economic environment. Frankly, who can blame them? This Administration didn't even know discussions were happening about a Comerica departure, and when the announcement came out it was just more blam e with no action or vision. My fear is that we will read about more companies leaving our state again soon and even Wall Street is considering dropping the state's credit rating. This has to stop.

Even though the headlines are bad, the worst has to be the "politics" in Lansing. Instead of focusing on how to get this state out of a fiscal crisis, the Governor and her fellow Democrats are more consumed with political posturing than rolling up their sleeves and getting to work on realistic solutions. We are already into April and there is still no solution to the budget crisis. A responsible leader would have started to work on this issue the day after the election, not 5 months later.

Under the Governor's direction, the Democrats in Lansing are considering raising your income taxes to 4.6 percent and are still working to implement a 2-penny tax on services from getting your hair cut to picking up your dry cleaning. Thankfully, the Senate Republicans, under Majority Leader Mike Bishop, refused to go along with this plan and voted down her 2-penny plan once and for all. In addition, Senate Republicans approved a budget plan that does not increase taxes and keeps state spending in check. That's the kind of fiscal responsibility message that will restore business confidence in Michigan and potentially spur new investment, but the Governor and her team insist on sending all the wrong messages.

I've long believed the budget problem in Lansing isn't about the amount of revenue the state receives..the state gets plenty! The budget problem exists because there is a lack of discipline and accountability in how those dollars are spent. I hope that as the budget process moves forward, there will be less threats to residents about "government shutdowns" unless taxes are increased and a real focus on spending our tax dollars wisely. It can be done without raising taxes, and raising taxes would put Michigan even further behind in our ability to create jobs here.

Betsy and I are staying in the fight, and we hope you will continue to stay involved too. Let your state representatives and senators know what you think about the state budget. Let me know too. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Don't be afraid to let your voice be heard.

We look forward to keeping in touch as we work together to improve Michigan's future together !!

Best Personal Regards,

Dick

P.S. I thought the following links to articles might be of interest to you about the current state of Michigan's economy.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704030317

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704030315

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: