FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Great Schools Initiative ENDORSEMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
jackson
F L I N T O I D

For starters, all four of my kids graduated from Flint Schools (Central) and attended Flint Public Schools for all but one year: one kid went to Vally for one year.

I do not believe that Mr Dumas has any children in school now -- nor very recently.

It takes only limited skill to become a parent; and that doesn't automatically qualify one for school board positions -- or, for that matter, any other position. The Flint Schools NEED leadership skills, management skills, budget knowledge and skills; the ability to be good public stewards, and -- finally -- especially given our recent history -- they need good "crap detectors". I believe that the GSI endorsed candidates all have most of those skills. And the fact that Cross' wife is an employee of the Schools may give him better knowledge of the system than having children in the schools would.

Having said that, I think it would be nice if the Board members sent their children to Flint Schools: not critical -- but desireable.

Some of you will remember that Ms. Helen Harris was a valuable member of the Flint School Board for several years while her three children all attended private schools.
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:41 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Kucinich Files Impeachment Articles Vs. VP
Democratic Presidential Hopeful Dennis Kucinich Files Articles, Saying Threat Of War Vs. Iran "Is Very Real"
CBS News 4/26/07

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/25/politics/main2726626.shtml?source=RSSattr=Politics_2726626
(AP) Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich filed articles of impeachment Tuesday against Vice President Dick Cheney, saying his action is driven by a desire to defend Americans' right "to have a government that is honest and peaceful."

The Ohio congressman said Cheney manipulated and fabricated intelligence on weapons of mass destruction to justify the Iraq war.

Kucinich earlier had called off his planned filing because Cheney was taken to a doctor for tests on a blood clot in his leg. He went ahead after Cheney criticized Democrats for pushing ahead with anti-war legislation in Congress.

Kucinich said it was important to introduce the legislation, "because the threat of war against Iran is very real."

"This vice president cannot be permitted to continue to violate both the U.S. Constitution and the U.N. Charter," he said.

House speaker Rep. Nancy Pelosi has said impeachment is off the table.
-
http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/04/25/100wir_a7impeach001.cfm

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich filed articles of impeachment Tuesday against Vice President Dick Cheney, saying Cheney manipulated and fabricated intelligence on weapons of mass destruction to justify the Iraq war.
However, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said impeachment is off the table.
Earlier Tuesday, Kucinich said he would delay filing papers until the outcome of Cheney's medical appointment Tuesday became known. Later Tuesday, doctors who saw Cheney said the blood clot in his left leg is slowly getting smaller, and the vice president was given an upbeat assessment.
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Evening Flint

From my email

School Board Forum on Public Access

Comcast’s public access channel (ch. 17) will broadcast the April 24 Flint Board of Education candidate forum twice. The first airing will be on Friday, April 27, at 4:00 p.m. The second will be on Wednesday, May 2, at noon.
Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

thanks terry,
regarding Kucinich, it takes a crazy person to know one; maybe Kucinch & Cheney could somehow take each other out...mutual hunting accidents perhaps?

if the Democrats want to start impeachment decisions over policy and adminstration decisions, maybe we can get both the democratic & republican parties to take each other out...that would create some space for people who are tired of the biased partisanship to launch some alternative candidates/parties in the medium future.

In the meantime I'll take my 401-k and get the heck out of this country, looking for perhaps some quiet place in the Caribbean or perhaps Swiztzerland, or maybe the family home we still have in Greece.

With regards to global warming. I'm not with you on that one yet. My jury is still out.
As I mentioned we can find plenty of cases in the past where the authoritative and prevailing ruling theory WAS wrong. Fact is, once a certain critical mass of opinion [not truth] is reached, its becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. And dangerous too.

IIRC, many months ago, perhaps nearly a year ago, you were addressing a situation, the details escape me, of what I would characterize as a whistle-blower, or a skeptic's continuing challenging of a popularly held view that seemed to be popular opinion & concensus [perhaps it was someone challenging the intelligence of the Iraq war or something separate] anyway, you were calling for the considertion of others, not to close off debate, not to close off minds of possible other realities. Its getting that way with global warming IMO. Scientists WITH specific knowledge & expertise still have many unanswered questions and are still operating on levels of belief much less than substantively proven. In fact there is way too much demagoguery going on. When I hear "We are past the is it true stage..." and "only a few crack-pot scientist still resist the belief"...I think of Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia and yes, even the cold-war era USA...close off debate by characterizing the other side as kooks etc Its a form of coercion to suppress dissent.
anytime people want to close down debate and inquiry, its a scary dark time, regardless the issue.
I know ENOUGH careful and respected scientists who still have doubts...on many levels. yes the earth may indeed be getting warmer..its been both warmer and colder in the past....evidence of forests at the poles, the current Sahara sands cover a far different geology from the distant past etc.... but the there could be other explanations still not understood. I have enough respect for understanding variation in test measurements & results and the reproduceability and repeatability of the same; the issues of comparing sets of data from different time periods from different methods of collection to have a whole lot of questions that you might not have much less even consider. And we haven't even scratched the issue of politics and special interests behind the various camps..... and one thing I do believe in; its human nature in its great and terrible forms remember that whole supression thing.

So I'll keep studying it, but I'm not there yet. I'm not swayed by "concensus" of "scientists" just like I wouldn't be swayed by the concensus of podiatrists on how a sore throat should be treated. I've seen scientists and engineers and other professionals in action. They are human beings, capable of doing some "dumb" things, capable of being fooled, or misled. Capable of jumping to conclusions, defining solutions before the problem has really been defined accurately. We've seen whole countries of people being "wrong" yes, 50 million Frenchmen can be wrong. So can a UN, or a US congress. I'm sure you could cite your own recent examples on those two scores that conform to your beliefs.

Not sure this forum is the place I would want to continue the debate. Just encourage people NOT to think the issue is over regarding being understood & defined, but not to ignore it either. IGNORE the people who want to pretend that portion is over...let scientists continue to study to really understand it in all its complex nuances. Reject people want to distort the facts in order to move you to accepting their premise.

When scientists use terms like "likely" it means it ain't done cooking yet.

Laurie David and her kind do more harm than good.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:25 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint
4/27/07
by Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
Vote May 8th For Flint School Board
My suggestions at
http://bankertsvoterguide.blogspot.com/
-
FLINT
1. http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-
43/1177602656235340.xml&coll=5

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, April 26, 2007

FLINT - Voters will have a chance to learn about the view of
candidates for the Flint Board of Education at a pair of forums
scheduled next week.
The Flint branch of the NAACP and Concerned Pastors for Social Action
will conduct a forum from 6-8 p.m. Monday at Hasselbring Community
Center, 1002 W. Home Ave. A meet-and-greet with the candidates
follows. Refreshments will be served. Flint Journal Editor Tony
Dearing is the moderator.
Flint's Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or
ACORN, will host a town hall forum with candidates at 6 p.m. Tuesday
at the Broome Center, 4119 N. Saginaw St
The election is May 8.
-
From Flint Citizen
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flintcitizen/message/925

Adam,

You raise a legitimate point. But when someone is using the
adage: "actions speak louder than words," I feel compelled to talk
about my actions:

Ask the young man from the Flint Community Schools that I've
mentored for the past few yeas if he enjoys his time with me and if
it is productive.
Ask the young Flint Community School children that meet weekly with
the staff from my clinic as part of the Lunch Buddies program from
Big Brothers and Big Sisters if they appreciate their time with us.

Ask the various organizations associated with the Flint Community
Schools if they appreciate the monetary donations that I gladly give
them.

Ask the graduating seniors from Southwestern and Central that I
evaluate their exit interviews/presentations if they appreciate my
time and input.

Ask the children that I read to from the Flint Community Schools for
reading day if they appreciate my actions.

Ask the teachers from the Flint Community Schools that contact me to
come talk during career days if they appreciate my actions.

And if you want to talk about "vested interest" - be really
inquisitive with the city of flint tax records and see what kind of
interest I have in the city of Flint based on my tax contributions.

Don't tell me I'm not interested in this city, it's children or it's
schools. I walk it, talk it and do it more than any candidate who
is pointing their finger at me right now.

You're a smart man Adam. Vote the issues and vote the candidates
that have the talent to lead. Don't get suckered in by the finger
pointing.

Mike
-!
-
4/27/07
by Terry Bankert
Vote May 8th For Flint School Board
My suggestions at
http://bankertsvoterguide.blogspot.com/

Last edited by terrybankert on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:16 am 
jackson
F L I N T O I D

As a JOKE I've said that we should elect Harris and Dumas; sit them on either side of Cleaves -- and make sure that we had paramedics on hand for all meetings!

BUT, seriously, I've met and talked with -- and, yes --in most cases interviewed -- the candidates. I am entirely comfortable with the GSI endorsed candidates. I believe they have the skill and vision to make significant improvements to the Flint Schools.
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think instead of running away from our racial divisions we should confront them head on! Although it may seem like a dumb idea having Cleaves and Harris on the board I think it's about time this city confronts racial divisions head on. Flint city council meetings seem very tame to me. Perhaps we could move the officers from the city council meetings to the school board meetings. Seriously though although Cleaves may be annoying to most white people I don't think we should ignore his concerns over racial disparities. Although it will be nice for white people to not have to listen to charges of white elitism in Flint, I do not feel that is the solution to our problems.

Seriously though I don't think it's me or AC Dumas Cross should be concerend with. I'm more concerned about what will happen after the election. I think Flint schools have a lot of perception issue problems. I'm concerned the majority of our parents (black) might have some concerns with a white outsider that pulled his kids out of Flint and was brought in to get rid of Cleaves and the concerns over racial disparities in Flint schools and across the city. That may not be reality but then again If parents percieve their schools as bad even if they're not they may pull their children out like Cross did.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:22 pm 
Nailpro514
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

You need some clarity. Cross never pulled his children out. He has a six year old that has attended a catholic school in Burton since day one. His reasons are personal, private and none of your business.

Instead of attacking him, you should call him. You'd find out what a great guy, and visionary he truly is.
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:34 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

A.F.: I agree, open dialogue regarding racial issues in the city would be desirable and welcome my most. But don't kid yourself, guys like Cleeves and Dumis don't want open dialogue.

Open dialogue would require both sides of the racial issue to do some self examination, take responsibility and determine what they need to do to improve the situation. Cleeves and Dumis just want to play the blame game - the last thing they want is open dialogue.

Cleeves is a political dinosaur. He's always ranting about how the community needs to be marching on city hall, lansing and washington. Exactly what is it they should be marching for? equal rights? equal housing? If he can't get anybody to March behind him, it means they're not buying into his message.

Racial tension is definitely an issue in this city. But these two only worsen the situation. Their message and desired power requires that there be racial tension - so the last thing they want is for it to go away - they thrive on it.

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Since A.C. Dumas is getting all high and mighty and judging the other candidates based on issues that really don’t have a direct effect on their ability to serve as good board members (where their children attend school and their voting records) let’s give him a taste of his own medicine by doing our own public record search.

Below you will see a list of the candidates, their addresses, who owns the home, and how much they pay in property taxes each year. Personally, I like to think that people who own their own homes and pay property taxes make good candidates. Why – because it means they probably have good credit, can get a home loan and are therefore responsible with money. And if they pay property tax, well, then at least we know they are contributing to the infrastructure of the city and school system.

Hey Bob Wheaton, feel free to take this information and run with it. Spread this message to everyone you know. All of this is public record.

careful what you start AC, Enjoy

Hunter $1831 1909 Laurel Oak

Cross $13,873 1730 Woodburne
Bashir $1042 1916 Averill
Dillard $2080 1821 Penbrook(owned by D. Whipple in Grand Blanc

Topping $1961 1061 Vernon
Fountain $2309 2301 E. Second St.
Cleaves $1679 2105 Wolcot (owned by David Lewis in Grand Blanc

Robb Martin$1111 957 E. Seventh St.
Woodson $3145 1701 Lynbrook
Dumas $0 533 E. Rankin: owned by Genesee County Land Bank
Darrough $820 1407 W. Paterson
Younger Nelson $1605 2736 Sloan $813 is a water lien
Gilbert $1569 3631 Gloucester
Smith $753 1409 Pettibone
Lockette $4116 1737 Laural Oak

Metcalfe $1659 1835 Laurel Oak
Rev Baker $354 1926 Joseph St.
Harris $2280 1107 Beard
Leverette $890 2310 Begole
Crocket $0 1220 Vincent #18(owned by gerald vincent Lake Orion

"If you ain't from Flint, then it's like straight up F*&^ You!" - The Dayton Family

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:07 pm 
Nailpro514
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for doing your homework JBToolFist! It is my understanding from the information you have gathered that Dumas & Crocket have not paid any property taxes, making their contribution to the infrastructure of the city and school system a big fat zero! While I would NOT want Cross's bill, you make complete sense, the numbers don't lie and they prove Cross to be the best candidate. As if we didn't already know that!
Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:15 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

These are definately some good points you guys are raising. I never said Cross wasn't a good guy and I understand he has done a lot of volunteer work etc. I'm just concerned about the $80,000+ he will cost Flint schools. I did email Cross after he emailed me.

For some clarity on my stance I was going to vote for Cross because I thought Cleaves should have went for the 4 year term and Cross seemed liek the ultimate candidate. For someone like Cleaves who I am sure wants a long term service it seems like he should go for the longer term where there is more spaces available. This would leave novices free to test out the waters by going for the shorter one or two year terms which I think makes a lot of sense. I had heard about Flint school board members not sending their kids to Flint schools but I figured it was an isolated incident. I was pretty shocked when I found out Cross' child is not attending Flint schools among other candidates.

When one of your main points on your platform is doing surveys to ask parents (who are not in the public domain) to answer why they pulled out their kids while you yourself will not answer why your child is not going to Flint schools seems a different to me.

The main thing I'm concerned about is if Cross is a successful what the perception will be in the African American community??? Will his win be a catalyst to wipe out the white "elitists". In a city wide election with racial line voting there would be no white candidates like Cross on the board and there would be a potential for every "great schools" candidate to get shunned.

I am a little curious now. Can people rent homes from the land bank?

Is Rev Baker in the 4 year race? Is he a decent candidate?

Sometimes similar to Cleexes I wish people would march down to city council meetings but who cares about things like economic development. an official police chief, a master plan or a city charter. I guess that's only for normal cites.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 pm 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Nailpro: I think you missed my point. I'm NOT suggesting that the more taxes a person pays, the more qualified they are. I was making the point that such an argument is every bit as assinine as the argument that you can't be a good school board member unless you have children in the district or you vote in every election.

The ONLY thing that should matter is who is the most suited for the job based on SKILL/TALENT/MOTIVATION etc.

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:55 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
JBToolFist schreef:
Nailpro: I think you missed my point. I'm NOT suggesting that the more taxes a person pays, the more qualified they are. I was making the point that such an argument is every bit as assinine as the argument that you can't be a good school board member unless you have children in the district or you vote in every election.

The ONLY thing that should matter is who is the most suited for the job based on SKILL/TALENT/MOTIVATION etc.

If all that matters is "SKILL/TALENT/MOTIVATION" why do we require people be Flint residents? Also since Flint schools seem to have trouble with controversial people maybe we could disband the Flint school board and have Davison or Grand Blanc's school board oversee Flint schools.

If we did this across the board we could maybe get Giuliani as mayor and we wouldn't need any Flint people managing Flint. We could outsource everything.

On a more serioius note if we have a school board of outsiders telling parents to keep their children in Flint schools when they have their own children in other schools what kind of parent would take them seriously?

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:42 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint 05/01/07
Terry Bankert

From My email
---

I want to repeat a concern that I expressed to you before. IF the Board is overwhelmingly returned to office, then an appointment on the day following the election is a perfectly acceptable alternative. BUT -- if the incumbent members of the Board are largely turned out, then this current board should be extremely cautious about the "interim" superintendent. I would suggest that a maximum of a one year contract -- to give a new board time to search for a more permanent Super would be OK -- less time with a month to month renewal option and a reasonable severance package should the "new" Board decide to look elsewhere would be more appropriate.

I can think of nothing more arrogant than for a Board with several members in the last weeks in office to appoint a Super with a longer tenure. I realize that may limit the interest a Superintendent candidate may have in the appointment -- but it's an unusual situation (or might be). Any new Super, of course, should be considered "automatically" for a more permanent position.

As always, thanks for listening. I appreciate both your regular communications and the opportunity to comment on them. Of greater importance, I am confident that you will consider the comments -- whether or not you agree with them.

Thanks!

Jack Minore
610 Commonwealth Ave
Flint, MI 48503
810 - 235-1490
jacksonmin@aol.com
--
Posted here by
Terry Bankert
Post Tue May 01, 2007 7:15 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: