FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Collins Funeral Home worse than ever

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

On my last visit to the beautiful city of Flint I paid a little visit to the closed down Collins Funeral Home located on Clio Road and Stewart Ave. Man that place is worse than ever. The rear had been kicked in again and the entire place had been ravaged. Most of the furniture is now missing and someone even ripped out the heating units throughout the building. I was in shock! How can people take all the furniture and rip out copper and heaters with no one seeing anything. I suppose people do not want the confrontation and cannot really blame them. After all, these thugs are more than likely carry guns and a life is not worth losing over the crap in that place. I did not go upstairs or into the basement for fear of running into someone or for someone to enter the building while I was still in there. My sister said I was crazy for going in the first place. I was however, very tempted to go in the basement to see if the embalming table was still there and if so figure out someway to get it into my truck. They weigh a ton. But, just my luck I would be hauling this thing out and a cop would happen to drive by and I would get arrested. So it was better to leave things alone and get the hell out of there.
It still breaks my heart to see such a beautiful building in such a state but realize that it will NEVER be a business again. I also wanted a couple of those stripped chairs and ottoman. You can see the place via my photobucket if you like.
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/RichardV_2006/

I hope the link works.
Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:12 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

great pictures. Its amazing how a lot of the rooms seem like they are still in operation, just waiting for people to come in. Of course, other rooms really show the deterioration.
Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I know. Actually the pictures you've looked at are a couple of years old and for the most part, the furniture is all but gone. It looks as if the owner just locked the door and walked away when in fact that is what he did. Over the last couple of years vandals have done a number on the place. I attempted to purchase the place before all the damage was done but to no avail. I had a partner in Flint and we were going to reopen as a discount funeral home appealing to all faiths. But it was not to be.
My wife and I are planning a trip to Mackinaw Island in May and rest assured I will make a quick stop off at the defunk Collins Memorial Funeral Home.
Richard
Sunny at 78 degrees Florida
Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:58 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
I know. Actually the pictures you've looked at are a couple of years old and for the most part, the furniture is all but gone. It looks as if the owner just locked the door and walked away when in fact that is what he did. Over the last couple of years vandals have done a number on the place. I attempted to purchase the place before all the damage was done but to no avail. I had a partner in Flint and we were going to reopen as a discount funeral home appealing to all faiths. But it was not to be.
My wife and I are planning a trip to Mackinaw Island in May and rest assured I will make a quick stop off at the defunk Collins Memorial Funeral Home.
Richard
Sunny at 78 degrees Florida

Richard, what is your interest in the funeral home? Did you work there at one time?
If you had tried to remove any items, you would have then been no different than the other vandals....glad you didn't.

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:54 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Richard did you work there before?

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I worked there in the 70's doing an apprenticeship and kept in contact with the employees until the place was sold to Collins. I met with Collins a couple of times and he always allowed me to walk through the place when I would be in town, you know strolling down memory lane.
You're right to say I would be no better than anyone else who stole anything and glad I did not. I was hoping there might be a public auction one day so I could purchase a few of the items but, that is not going to happen.
What does a person do if you see something you really want and have no way of obtaining it legally?
Richard
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:05 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

My wife and I have been looking for a 2 bedroom cabin in lower north Michigan (Gaylord area) or in the U.P. Do you have anything listed?

Richard
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: