FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Michigan or Ground Zero? A puzzle video

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o35qBD6Fh88

I scored 3/5
Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:14 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

That is an extremely interesting question: if you could measure the amount of lives directly influenced by both events, which would be the greater tragedy?

The question is, who is more responsible for the Flint tragedy? The GM corporation and its greed? The UAW who demanded unrealistic and unsustainable wages and benefits? The American Consumer for seeking quality (japanese cars) over loyalty (American cars)? Politicians for allowing foreign companies to export to America too easily?
Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:21 am 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

My guess is Flint is the bigger tragedy, but it happened over the course of 10 years or more, so the pain and shock has been gradual.

$30/hour to have one's mind slowly melted 8 hours a day, 5 days a week is not an "unrealistic and unsustainable wage" when they do their job as they are told, and produce world-class, award winning quality automobiles (witness JD Power's reviews of Buick). Read Rivethead. The shoprats can do all the drugs they want, but they also produce quality output, because the job is fairly easy to master. You are only battling complacency and the slow creep of time. Hamper's assertion that he produced zero defect, high quality output is evidence by the sheer number of old Blazers and Chevy trucks I see on the roads today.

$8,000,000 bonus to an exec of a company who has seen its market share tumble, it's losses mushroom, and its car designs pale in comparison to rudimentary high school drafting class, is "unrealistic and unsustainable" in my view. But exec compensation is something that shareholders seem to tolerate (it's a mystery). And it's easier to pick on the common man, the shoprat, because they are more of them and they seem to enjoy talking about how they screw the "man" out of work.

As for Americans seeking Japanese cars, it's 100% a marketing problem. Chevrolet went to bed with NASCAR and bubba. People in California, Washington, Florida, New York, Mass, the big states with big cities and big money don't want to be associated with that. So they buy Honda, Toyota. The cars are NOT better quality. They simply look better, and they give the buyer a better personal feeling by disassociation from the "Heartbeat of America"

Saturn and Cadillac have been successful in steering clear of the GM "mismarketing machine" and focus on the middle and upper class buyers from the West and East Coasts. And when Chevrolet tried to do that with the SSR, it failed miserably, I'm told.

Back to the film. The questions that should be asked and explored, on both 9/11 and the "Great Destruction of Flint" issues:

1. Whose fault is this?
2. Could it have been prevented?
3. Is unbridled capitalism good for America? For mankind?
4. Will this happen again? What lessons have we learned so that it can never be repeated? And are we so desensitized, will we care if it happens again?
Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:23 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I scored 3/5

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well both are equally sad.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

The music just killed me on that one. Soooo sad.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 pm 
David

\
Yes, it is very sad Ryan indeed. Lets hope we can change things soon!

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Well both are equally sad.
Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:42 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

It most certainly is !!!

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:17 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I guess that is good but also bad.
Richard
Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:40 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Richard your right, I hope this video makes people change, and gets people more involved in FLINT. This community has been through a lot during the past 50 years, however we are survivors, we will work through this as well.

quote:
Richard schreef:
I guess that is good but also bad.
Richard

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:44 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I agree

quote:
Roscoe Van Zandt schreef:
The music just killed me on that one. Soooo sad.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: