FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Mayoral Race Public records as of 4-9-07

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Candidates:
Don Williamson 625-9977
Theodore Jankowski 235-6601
Norman Bryant 767-6621
Kendrick Kemp 785-0430
Brenda Kay Smith 785-0360
Scott Kinkaid 742-4375
Rev. John Beatty 449-0386
Dale Weighill 423-1744
R.W. Terrell 210-4878
Jonathan Price 237-0858
Dayne Walling 280-7684 Home 424-0133 cell
David Davenport 342-9122
Tamra Edwards 87-6918 423-5732
Daron Rice 341-9793
Robert Michael Katrinic AKA Leatherman 869-2121 715-2931 423-4273
Sheldon Neely 239-8955
Ryan Eashoo 234-1234 341-1969
Adam Ford 869-1156

Don Williamson, Norm Bryant, David Davenport, and Tamra Edwards are scheduled to be on the ballot and Scott Kinkaid has said he is dropping out. Candidates are listed in the order petitions were taken out.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

The surprising thing I found out today is you do not have to be live in Flint to collect mayoral petitions in Flint.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:55 am 
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

Adam, we need to find e-mail addresses for all of the candidates...

Rob
Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

You'll have to call them. email records are not kept by the clerk. Only names addresses and phone numbers.

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:40 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I am not running for Mayor Of The City of Flint, petitions may have been taking out, but I have no interest in running.

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Well, time is slipping past and it doesn't appear as if the Don can be beaten. I hate sounding like a pessimist, because getting rid of the Don is my number one goal. There are major hurdles facing the challengers in the mayoral election. The big one is name recognition. Who the hell are these people? The second is money. No one is going to outspend the Don on the campaign.
I met with Dayne Walling yesterday. Very bright young man with some good ideas. Can he beat the Don. Not sure. He has a fair amount of campaign money(that can help), but I'm not sure if it's enough. It's hard to overcome the fact that this community notoriously votes along racial lines, not sure they'll vote for an unknown white guy.
Dale Weighill stopped by my house last night knocking on doors. Unfortunately I wasn't home. The wife said he was a nice guy, but that doesn't necessarily make you a good mayor. I need to try to get a hold of him and find out what he's all about.
I am meeting with Tamara Edwards today. I talked to her on the phone and was very impressed by our 3 minutes of conversation. Obviously I should be able to glean even more insight today. Once again, nobody knows who she is. We'll see. I'll keep you informed if your care.
Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Boss,
Lets face it, all the challengers are a long shot.

Because there are so many, and no one seems to be standing out as a prominent challenger, its very likely the single best challenger [whomever that might be] doesn't even make it to the final election.

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:35 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The number of candidates isn't really an issue, because so many of them will only garner about 5 votes. However, I believe that there may be as many as 5 truly viable candidates by August. The area unions are looking for a candidate to back. The funny part is, the best candidate for mayor may not get the union support. But, the candidate with the best chance of beating the Don will.
I just left my meeting with Tamara Edwards and was very impressed by her. She is very insightful and has some solid ideas on turning the city around. She has experience with city government(not disfunctional city government like here), and a solid grasp on the problems we are facing. Still unsure if she has enough to pull it out though.
I guess we will all have to wait and see.
Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bossman schreef:
The number of candidates isn't really an issue, because so many of them will only garner about 5 votes. However, I believe that there may be as many as 5 truly viable candidates by August. The area unions are looking for a candidate to back. The funny part is, the best candidate for mayor may not get the union support. But, the candidate with the best chance of beating the Don will.
I just left my meeting with Tamara Edwards and was very impressed by her. She is very insightful and has some solid ideas on turning the city around. She has experience with city government(not disfunctional city government like here), and a solid grasp on the problems we are facing. Still unsure if she has enough to pull it out though.
I guess we will all have to wait and see.

I have to disagree. I know most of the candidates are not serious challengers, but all you need is 4-5 and you've diluted the vote to say take out the one person who might've given the don a challenge.

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Biggie, I agree with what you're saying about diluting the vote. My point was that most of the "challengers" aren't serious challengers. I do believe that there may be as many as five viable candidates by primary time. What I would like to see is some of the candidates bail to give the serious candidates a better chance. The ideal circumstance would be for the serious candidates to run together. (eg.. one as mayor, one as city administrator, one as budget director, etc.) However, I believe the egos are too strong to allow that to happen. None of them want to play second fiddle.
Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 pm 
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

All these candidates have things to offer.. as Bossman has indicated. That said, Ive visited Dale Weighill's website and he has extensive platforms on the issues that concern Flint ex. ( crime, neighborbood, jobs and youth)
Here is his section on on youth from his website www.anewflint.org

p.s. lets try and avoid the usual gripes about length and actually examine the content....
Dale Weighill’s Plan for Offering Hope to Flint’s Young People

Young people in Flint need our help. They need it desperately and they need it now.

Here’s a look at some alarming statistics:

• 35% of Flint’s children live in poverty.
• 60% of Flint ninth graders do not graduate from high school
• 7,015 Flint residents under the age of 30 were the victims of a crime in 2006, including 36 who were murdered

Isn’t it time we joined together as a community to address the challenges children and young adults are facing in Flint? Shouldn’t we expect more of ourselves and our leaders?

I will use the bully pulpit of the Mayor’s office to draw attention and resources to the needs of our community’s young people. The Mayor alone can bring together a variety of stakeholders – businesses, unions, nonprofits, houses of worship, government agencies, and residents -- to forge an action plan that outlines the outcomes we desire for children and youth in Flint.

We should do this not because it is easy or politically popular, but because it is right.

I ask you: If not us, who? If not now, when?

As Mayor, I will offer hope and opportunity to Flint youth with a plan that includes the following:

• We will establish a City of Flint Office of Strategic Partnerships that will work with the City Council, Flint Community Schools, businesses, houses of worship, unions, nonprofits, funding institutions, and residents to establish a “Flint Promise” initiative. The initial goals of the Flint Promise will be two-fold: (1) Connect a caring adult mentor with every child who needs one, and (2) Establish and maintain high-quality after-school and summer youth recreation activities in every ward of the city.
• As Mayor, I pledge to visit a different house of worship each week to recruit mentors for children in Flint.
• The Mayor’s office will work with the Chamber of Commerce and others to create a Corporate Volunteer Council (CVC) made up of small, medium, and large businesses in the City of Flint. The Council’s purpose will be to encourage businesses to increase their levels of employee volunteerism and corporate philanthropy, especially to benefit Flint children and youth.
• We will establish a Mayor’s Youth Cabinet made up of young people from throughout the City of Flint. The Youth Cabinet will meet with the Mayor quarterly and will assist in the development of youth-friendly city policies, programs, and strategies.
• The Office of the Mayor and the Mayor’s Youth Cabinet will host an annual “Youth Summit” in Flint, bringing together participants from the many youth development and leadership programs that exist in our community for workshops on community involvement, youth violence prevention, peer pressure, and other topics.
• The City of Flint, working in partnership with others, will develop a printed and online Youth Services Directory that will provide Flint’s young people and adults with information about youth-related services and recreational opportunities that exist in the community.
• Young people and youth groups will be asked to join the city’s “One-Hour Campaign,” a new effort that will encourage Flint residents and those who care about Flint to volunteer at least one hour of their time each week in the city.
• The City of Flint, in partnership with Flint Community Schools and local nonprofit agencies such as Priority Children, will issue an Annual Report on Youth Outcomes in Flint and the status of the city’s youth-related initiatives and goals. The Mayor’s Office will annually convene community leaders and concerned citizens to discuss the report’s findings and to establish new goals for children and youth in Flint.
• The Mayor and all city department heads will lead by example and will serve as mentors for children in Flint. Other City of Flint employees will be offered one hour of paid time off each week to do volunteer work, especially as volunteers in the schools and as mentors for young people.
• As Mayor, I will visit every school in the City of Flint on an annual basis and will meet at least quarterly with the Superintendent of Schools and annually with the Flint Board of Education.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:17 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Who has turned in their pettitions so far?

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"][b]Who has turned in their pettitions so far?[/b][/quote.

Yes... what candidates do we have so far that have turned them in?
Post Tue May 08, 2007 4:06 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

When Don Williamson, Norm Bryant, David Davenport, and Tamra Edwards had the petitions turned in when I picked up mine. I think Sheldon Neely will get his in and I think Ted Jankowski will get on as well.I'd also bet on Dayne and Dale getting on the ballot. Supposedly John Beatty the homeless guy had 5,000 signatures but not turned them in yet so he could collect more. I had every intention of running but did not have the support needed to get that many signatures.

You can get the records from the clerk who has turned in the petitions.
Post Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Same question I asked before.. lol

[quote="mark thompson"]
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Who has turned in their pettitions so far? [/quote.

Yes... what candidates do we have so far that have turned them in?

Post Thu May 10, 2007 12:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: