FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Ever find it hard ot get all the FACTS

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

It is just bugging me. I've been attempting to get all the information possible about these recent purchases. I watch the City Council meetings, I read the stories in the urinal, I read the stories on TV 12 website. I talk to the Councilmen. It's all very confusing. Since, I watch the meetings and listen to what they say in the meetings. Then when I talk to them in person. It appears that what I heard one person say wasn't actually the truth. Then when it comes to the media reports, you can't trust them either. I can see why everything that happens in government ultimately boils down to opinions and the basis for those Opinions. Now, after talking to one of the councilmen, I understand better where he i coming from, And I understand where m councilman is coming from. have another call to return later tonight. I'm just ticked that we cannot get all the facts brought out into the open.

According to the Urinal the Volvos and the internationals were the lowest bids and in the city. Now, the phone got cut off while I was talking to one councilman but he mentioned that the Internationals were not the lowest bid. So am I to assume that the Peterbilts were actually a lower bid than the Internationals. according to C&S They were lower?

Now, I was told that the former council couldn't decide on which truck to buy. JOSH if your reading... let me know! I don’t remember it ever coming out for a vote?

I understand not purchasing the Volvo's as their electronic controls are extremely difficult to work on. Unless you've had some special training.

It just seems that our council is moving as many contracts as possible out of the city. Tree cutting, Tahoes, Garbage trucks, Towing. They all seem to be saying they want to keep business in the city. Yet, none of these contracts were awarded to city businesses. I guess maybe my next response should be. Then what contracts in the last 3 months has been awarded to City businesses? Can anyone help me here? Have there been any contracts since the new council has been in office that have gone to City of Flint businesses? I think there was a printing contract awarded. asphalt to Saginaw. Now Ac in Flint had a three year contract (at least that is what it looks like on the city of flint website under the "Bids" and "proposals" That was back in 2005. And if I can count correctly three years isn't up yet?

Maybe when this stuff is put out to the public. It's like the Ombudsman issue. They word it for the opposites response. They really don't want us to know what they are really doing. So they make it confusing as possible. It's a conspiracy! Or just plan poor writing. Well, I could understand that one.

So how do we make a factual decision when everyone from the media, to the people making the decisions put’s their own spin on it? Where do we actually get the facts?
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
It is just bugging me. I've been attempting to get all the information possible about these recent purchases. I watch the City Council meetings, I read the stories in the urinal, I read the stories on TV 12 website. I talk to the Councilmen. It's all very confusing. Since, I watch the meetings and listen to what they say in the meetings. Then when I talk to them in person. It appears that what I heard one person say wasn't actually the truth. Then when it comes to the media reports, you can't trust them either. I can see why everything that happens in government ultimately boils down to opinions and the basis for those Opinions. Now, after talking to one of the councilmen, I understand better where he i coming from, And I understand where m councilman is coming from. have another call to return later tonight. I'm just ticked that we cannot get all the facts brought out into the open.

According to the Urinal the Volvos and the internationals were the lowest bids and in the city. Now, the phone got cut off while I was talking to one councilman but he mentioned that the Internationals were not the lowest bid. So am I to assume that the Peterbilts were actually a lower bid than the Internationals. according to C&S They were lower?

Now, I was told that the former council couldn't decide on which truck to buy. JOSH if your reading... let me know! I don’t remember it ever coming out for a vote?

I understand not purchasing the Volvo's as their electronic controls are extremely difficult to work on. Unless you've had some special training.

It just seems that our council is moving as many contracts as possible out of the city. Tree cutting, Tahoes, Garbage trucks, Towing. They all seem to be saying they want to keep business in the city. Yet, none of these contracts were awarded to city businesses. I guess maybe my next response should be. Then what contracts in the last 3 months has been awarded to City businesses? Can anyone help me here? Have there been any contracts since the new council has been in office that have gone to City of Flint businesses? I think there was a printing contract awarded. asphalt to Saginaw. Now Ac in Flint had a three year contract (at least that is what it looks like on the city of flint website under the "Bids" and "proposals" That was back in 2005. And if I can count correctly three years isn't up yet?

Maybe when this stuff is put out to the public. It's like the Ombudsman issue. They word it for the opposites response. They really don't want us to know what they are really doing. So they make it confusing as possible. It's a conspiracy! Or just plan poor writing. Well, I could understand that one.

So how do we make a factual decision when everyone from the media, to the people making the decisions put’s their own spin on it? Where do we actually get the facts?

The proposal that was brought to Council while I was there was for the Peterbilt trucks..... The main justification for these trucks then from the Administration was that the City needed these trucks because of the type of compactor on them..... the McNielus(sp) was "far superior" to the Leach compactor that was on the back of the International..... The only problem was that the bid did not specify a compactor... only what type of truck... so our logic was... lets compare apples to apples... rebid with a specification that included a McNielus compactor.... so that we could get the savings of the truck at a local dealer.... Mr. Williamson simple said that he would wait us out... see if he could get a new Council.... I guess he won... the City on the other hand... I'm not too sure...

It really doesn't make any sense to send contracts outside of the City, especially when you can get the service cheaper inside the City..... Ehren was ranting how when he tried to open a Book Store with his wife that he just couldn't get any help from the City... that the City needed to do a better job of supporting upstart businesses if it was ever going to prosper.... then his very next vote was to send the towing contract outside of the City.... Just doesn't make sense....
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yeah I kind of figured it was something like that. Don got his people together and they claimed everybody wanted them, life would be sweet as cherry pie and they would all get green lights down saginaw if we had these peterbilts. After talking to some of them I believe they were presured into the peterbilts because of much of the one sided arguements of people in the city depts. I just don't believe that if our maintenance dept is working on these vehilces that there is really going to be any real savings. I guess we will have to wait and see. Oh and I am one to come back two years later and say "I Told you SO!
What cracked me up about the last CCM was how many people were upset about the towing contract going out of the city. Where were they when the Tahoes were purchased from Lansing, Ashpalt was purchased from Saginaw, Grass cutting purchased from (Swartz creek? was it) Tree cutting out of the city, Garbage trucks out of Auburn Hills. What is funny to me. Is Complete has been ripping people off for years. And no one has done a thing about it. Then they loose the contract and everyone seems to be up in arms. There is no justice. I guess C&S should have been ripping off citizens to get them to come out and complain. Or even the guy out at Swartz creek Golf Course should have been. FLint just seems to love the criminally minded. And can't stand the honest joe. LOL No wonder we are in the shape we are in.
Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Heads UP guys! this meeting is tomorrow... January 18,2006 Finance Committee 5pm City Council Committee Chambers
-there is much on the agenda and this is on page 7 so those that work late may watch this go down first hand.

"item # 051603 Maximum Salaries\Appointive Officers

Resolution setting the three categories for of salaries not to exceed the maximum salary payable at Level 50 of the City Of Flint Compensation Schedule for exempt employees as maintained by the human resourses Director for a period which shall expire on June 30,2007: Category I: City Administrator. Executive Department Heads & Professional Members of the Executive Staff; Category II: Appointed Technical and Support Staff of the Mayors Office not covered in Category I: Category III: City Clerk and Ombudsman. (Ordinance 3595- EFM Directive 124)"

my thoughts....
disregarding any typing errors I may have made I believe this proposal to be un- freaking believable! For the following reasons...
The City Administrator is unqualified and may or may not have paid back the raise she voted herself while on council. ( as required by the state?)
II. Her husband is unqualified and there are questions as to his appointment in regards to his wife being City administator( was supposed to be reviewed by conduct board or something of that nature?)
III. Well, I would give the City clerk a raise any day of the week but she has turned this down in the past. I believe citing her staff also deserved a raise. She will not accept one. This will also include the Ombudsman position which is currently to be on the ballot in February to decide wether or not to continue that office.

If the contact for the police is not resolved there should not be any raise in pay for any appointees!!! just my opinion and I'll stand on it! I believe but may not understand the wording that this is for a raise in pay for the mayor's appointees.
Rap.
Post Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:47 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: