FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Manning Court History

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan M. Eashoo

Manning Court Historic District

Manning Court Historic District was one of the original historic districts formed under City of Flint ordinance 2707 in 1979. The Flint Bi-Centennial Commission, formed for the U.S. Bi-Centennial suggested that historic districts be formed in the City to protect our local history. A Study Commission was formed in 1975 and its findings resulted in the Historic District Ordinance creation after four years of study . Fifteen districts were identified which included over 176 structures across the City. Another Study Committee formed in 1981, added additional historic properties in 1982, which included Carriage Town.

Over the last 40 years the Flint Board of Education and the Nature Land Conservancy, working with funding from the C.S. Mott Foundation, slowly purchased property surrounding the Cultural Center. Most of the now vacant property behind Manning Court was demolished by the Nature Land Conservancy. Just recently the property on Manning Court owned by the Nature Conservancy was transferred to the Cultural Center Corp.
Property previously purchased by the Flint Board of Education while they were in control of the Cultural Center has been turned over to the Cultural Center over the last several years. Only one house on Manning Court remains in private hands.

Manning Court was part of the property acquired by J. Dallas Dort when he built his home at 1025 E. Kearsley St where the Flint Institute of Music is today. That home was destroyed by fire in the early 1970’s. Manning Court was named by Dort after the architect that designed his estate and some of Flint’s parks, Charles S. Manning. The street was developed as a country lane in keeping with its original English cottage architecture. The Court remained a gravel lane until the late 1990’s when the road was paved without a Certificate of Appropriateness.

Mr. Dort platted the area in 1909 as J.D. Dort’s Addition to the City of Flint. It was surveyed by Moses Middleton in 1907. As part of his work, Middleton set unique brass markers at all the required monument points. A review in 1979 showed that only three of the original 17 still existed. It is not known if they remain today but this should be reviewed before any work is performed.

Mr. Dort erected three homes in the English cottage style in 1906-07 beginning at Crapo Street. They were all originally built as rentals as the Polk Directories show yearly change in occupancy. Most were occupied by people associated with the Durant-Dort Carriage Company , later the Dort Motors Company, Buick, and other Auto Parts suppliers. Even Dort’s son Ralph and his wife lived on the street for one year in 1916 while employed with the Dort Motor Co. By the late teens ,early 1920’s, a shift to home homeownership slowly occurred.

Above all men of industry in Flint’s history, J. Dallas Dort took a keen interest in the well being of the working man. At the time of Flint’s rapid development, it was he who paid particular attention to housing, insurance programs for workers, creating a park system for the Flint community and providing property for the establishment of schools and churches near the new Buick Factory. It is obvious that the construction of Manning Court met many needs.

It provided new comfortable housing for newcomers coming to work and live in Flint at a time when housing was at a premium. It guaranteed that his newly hired workers would have an affordable place to live when they accepted a job with him. It also provided him control of his surroundings as he guided the creation of the neighborhood . It was clear that he was trying to set a standard for home construction by the quality of architects he engaged for his building. These were not like the quickly built homes that sprang up around the City to meet the housing shortage needs of the time.

Manning Street began in the following order:

1003 Manning Court was first occupied 1907 by Mrs. Florence Collins
1009 Manning Court was the home of Harold Prince in 1907
1063 Manning Court was first occupied in 1907by Wm Little, Manager of Buick Motor In 1913 James Martin, Cashier of Genesee Bank. In 1916
Mr. Dort’s son, Ralph Bates Dort and his wife resided here.
This house was torn down for the Culutral Center Parking lot
Behind Sloan Museum

1015 Manning Court was built in 1908
1019 Manning Court was built for Garrick Risedorph, Mr. Dort’s secretary.
1027 Manning Court-was built in 1918-1919 for George C. Willson ( Willson Park is named after his father Dr. James Willson). He in turn provided it to his daughter Frances Willson and her first husband Mr. Kenneth Horner upon his return from WWI. The Willson family have been great benefactors to the Flint Community. Mrs. Frances Willson Thompson legacy is the Library at the University of Michigan Flint, the Residence Hall and Chair of Industrial History at Kettering University and she was the main benefactor for the restoration of the Durant-Dort Office Building in Carriage Town. The Hauser family has lived at this address since 1954.
This is the last privately owned house.

1103 Manning Court was also built in 1918 for Courtney Johnson who came to Flint to work at the Dort Motor Company. This house was frequently used by
The Dort Motor Co. in advertising for their automobiles. Courtney was a
College friend to Dort’s son Ralph.

Both 1027 and 1103 were designed by architect Robert Seyfert of Chicago, who came to Flint to design the Flint Golf Club on Lakside Dr when it was moved from Atlas Michigan. Mr. Dort was a prominent member of the Flint Golf Club. Mr. Seyfert also designed the house at 515
East Street in the east Street Historic District and another house on South Drive. These two houses do not reflect the English Cottage Style Architecture.

*It should be noted the street numbering changed as additional houses were built between 1912 and 1920.

Ryan M. Eashoo, Chairperson
Flint Historic District Commission
Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:13 pm 
Chris

Hence the part of being "History". It means past tense.
I do agree its a very rich history, but its old news.
Post Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:23 pm 
Jack

Why would anyone want to destroy something so rich in Flint History?
Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:24 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Chris schreef:
Hence the part of being "History". It means past tense.
I do agree its a very rich history, but its old news.

People said that about the Eiffel Tower in France as well. We must preserve our History for future generations.
Post Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ethal

History "past tense"
Then by all means- destroy all museums, family albums and non-fiction books....
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:52 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ethal schreef:
History "past tense"

please check out. www.SaveManningCourt.com

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
ethal schreef:
History "past tense"

please check out. www.SaveManningCourt.com

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

People need to call the Flint cultural center and complain!

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:46 pm 
Wade A. Minute

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
People need to call the Flint cultural center and complain!

Rian, didnt you vote to let them move the houses a year ago? That wasnt legal then but you ok'd it.

You let themkeep on with there efforts to destroy the houses. Now I hear your commission has a plan to save the houses, but none of you will tell youre plan to the cultural center.

All talk

No action.

Are you in there pockets? What did williamson promise you?
Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:52 pm 
Joe

quote:
ethal schreef:
History "past tense"

I HOPE THESE PEOPLE REALIZE IT NEEDS TO BE SAVED!!

PEOPLE LIKE JERRY PRESTON AND JOE CONROY NEED TO RETIRE AND MOVE AWAY FROM HERE. THEY HAVE NO VISION!
Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm 

How interesting that the Willson family was a former resident of Manning Court and their former home may be destroyed to make for "progress". The park named after the family was similarly destroyed in the dark of the night to make way for similar "progress".

Is there a procedure to unilaterally replace the historic commission?
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:11 am 
Sid E. Watcher

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
How interesting that the Willson family was a former resident of Manning Court and their former home may be destroyed to make for "progress". The park named after the family was similarly destroyed in the dark of the night to make way for similar "progress".

Is there a procedure to unilaterally replace the historic commission?

Commissioners cant be fired. The City Charter outlines the resons a city worker/elected/apointed person can be removed. Its very very hard.

They can always quit. They'd need to want to quit. Most of them can probably be shamed into quiting, but it will take alot.

Then again, if any of them leave the commission then Williamson will get to appoint their replacements. And he only wants people who will approve demolishon.

Manning Ct is just being used to set a local pressedent. Williamson wants to demo houses in carriage town. He is somehow invoved in plans to acquire land up there. But first he wants to find out if he can get away with demolishing historic buildings.
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:43 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Its so frustrating. I wish SHPO had a little more to say about the matter.
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:42 pm 
Down with Easchoo

Look at the post Easchoo made at the top of this thread. Done in 2006. I know he didnt quote the person who did this historical research-bad boy Ryan!

Now, why did you vote to allow the demolition of these homes if you're sooooo concerned about history?

There has now been 3 votes concerning the demolition of the Manning Ct homes. On the pivota 2nd vote earlier in 2007, Easchoo, the Chariman of the Historic District Commission, didnt even bother to show up for the meeting. Those HDC members present voted at that meeting whether or not to rescind their approval of the demo of the homes. the vote was a tie because Easchoo had better things to do than to show up for such an important vote. At the last HDC meeting on April 5th, 2007, Easchoo spoke in support of the homes, then VOTED to DEMLOISH the HOMES!!!!! Although Easchoo would never admit it, there has to be some sort of connection behind the scenes of him, the people at Flint College Cultural Corp and the Mayor.

Boycott Ryan Easchoo and everyone else who voted to demolish those homes! If his real estate business dries up then maybe he will realize.
Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: