FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: just a viewpoint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Erica Leverette

Hello and Thank you Rapunzel, and thank you to Terry Bankert as well, he encouraged me to post. I agree, this can be a constructive site because more people can be reached than just email. I am part of the "We" who do want to make the right choices for this community.

Regarding the BOE meeting 3/28/07: I did not speak on my campaign, nor did I speak publicly other than establishing the date of the BOE retreat. I interpreted Robb-Martin's statements as a general address to the community at large. As I shared, I am aiming for additional accuracy in the information going out.

To answer your questions Rapunzel:

1. What can you do as a Flint BOE member to improve Flint Schools?

In July 2006, with 2 vacancies on the BOE, school district business was impeded. I had my share of concerns, not in particular to the BOE or the Supt. - the systemic problems in the district. If the systemic issues are not addressed, the same problems persist, no matter who the people are. I am not politically motivated and have no "group" ties, only this community as a whole. I have demonstrated that I can take the heat and remain steadfast and focused under pressure. I bring my experiences from private, charter and public school, which is a skill set indeed.

2. What should be done to improve parent and citizen involvement in Flint Community Schools?

Parent Advisory councils are hugely important and crucial, and meetings need to be held community-wide at different locations. I believe that is the format currently in place.

3. What question would you ask to prospective FCS BOE members?

What is your motivation in running for the BOE?

I decided to repost this information, as I did not see the initial reply I sent (to Rapunzel). I do tend to wonder, amidst all of the criticism, have we (the current BOE) done anything worthy of recognition? (That's a general plea to the community)

Thanks again for the time and space, Erica
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 pm 
Erica Leverette

For anyone interested, I decided to repost all that I have written thus far, Thanks for the time and space, please see as follows, Erica

Wouldn't it be great if all of this time and energy were actually expended on the children???

I decided to post only because a tremendous amount of inaccurate information is being "fed" online. The Board of Education members who are up for election or re-election are not running on a slate. Also, I did not know any of the Board members personally beforehand - I was appointed August 2006 (and I believe that holds true for Tracey Fountain also - appointed September 2006), nor did I not confer with anyone in particular other than some friends from the community (no political facets) on my decision to apply for the Board.

Two vacancies (July/August 2006) offered a huge opportunity for those who state they have "concerns about the Board" but did not apply at that time, but now find such incompetence and fault - did they submit to serve on the Board??? I am not abdicating responsibility only offering facts. Further, the Board of Ed offers $30 per meeting - an average of $100 a month. I was not aware of the stipend and would do this as a volunteer - it is actually important to me...

Yes, racism is alive and well - this fact does not need to be ignored - however, why is it that there is a constant reference to the Board of Education being constituted predominately African-American??? Is that some type of inference??? The traits and attributes that someone who serves on the Board of Education would primarily need are: commitment and dedication to children and the community - also, spelling and grammar are a huge plus...at least so that others can attempt to acurately interpret...

I resent the further references of "skill sets" "strategies to unseat this Board" and "cheerleaders"!!!! All of this is a horrible waste of time and energy and I am still disturbed that as I and many other parents in Flint struggled and fought for general ed curriculum for our children- this multitude of energy did not even pose the question to us regarding our concerns!!! This is an outrage - and though I will compose myself, I was not fully informed that my interview would be online...is not informed consent still in order or at least professional protocol???

I have been "eye opening" informed of just how this school system deteriorated - just read the posts....There is now an opportunity to restore our educational system and ultimately our children - with the reform plan - have a conscious - there is a God...Erica

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Erica Leverette
(This was my response to a reply that somehow disappeared...?)

Thanks for that, I think I am entitled to "an" error - many errors are not acceptable, especially considering I don't make it a habit of posting just for the sake of...I am tired right now, but I am still disgusted - even now that you are finger pointing - - “conscience” and “conscious” both apply even though I meant the first so - once again - thanks, for finger pointing out (your words) "I suggest you make DAMN sure you are pristine with your own communication" - I'll be sure to keep that in mind, since I have enough dignity not to use profanity online...by the way, respond if you choose, but this is my last post (time and energy are of a premium...)

Erica

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Additional by the way, please pardon any other spelling or grammatical errors...since there is not an additional opportunity to edit and I needed to share some things, Thanks for the space and time, Erica
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:58 pm 
Rapunzel

Ms. Leverette,

Thank you for giving this forum another chance, but be aware that you should register on this site. If you post as a guest -like I do- pretenders post (spiteful garbage) as if they are you. I can deal with that as I am not running for anything. Rapunzel can be anyone...you on the other hand are a FCS Board Member and your name is not an alias.

"In July 2006, with 2 vacancies on the BOE, school district business was impeded." Erica- it takes much time to learn the ropes to be a school board member, you are lucky that you did not step into a divisive, cut-throat board like some others. You have had time needed to grasp the intricacies of running such a large district. Which will serve you in good stead for the future chaos that is forthcoming.

We knew Skip was going to leave due to other responsibilities and he stayed as long as humanly possible to ensure smooth transition. The same can not be said of the other member that left and her timing.

2. What should be done to improve parent and citizen involvement in Flint Community Schools?

"Parent Advisory councils are hugely important and crucial, and meetings need to be held community-wide at different locations. I believe that is the format currently in place. "

RAP says...They try but for the most part it is token feeding and name sign in to prove to we have parent involvement to ensure Title I funding.

Title I guidelines say parents must be included in the decision making process. not just sign here for some *ree food. They do provide some good information but there is need for improvement. This is even more profound at building level.

There is a large disconnect between departments- facilitators- health officals- community efforts. Big hoops to jump though to promote good things.

Many other disconnects exist between departments but todays priorities do not see them being addressed any time soon.

I do not want to focus on the negative, there are also many positives in this district.

Keep a positive message..and thank you for communicating.

Communicating with the public is most important to understanding policy decisions.

Peace,
RAP
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:29 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Erica,

I think it's great that you are communicating in this venue. I would encourage you to continue.

RAPs advice is to be heeded - register with FlintTalk.com so that you can sign in safely - otherwise some creep will post a guest post with your name on it.

Consider this: what if candidates who invest time in internet communication end up winning the election. Will that be stimulus for future candidates to use this forum? If so, that's a good thing - because the more well informed the public is - the better it is for them and for the governmental body representing them (it may not be better for the individual governmental officials who desire to hold on to their positions/power - but the body as a whole will benefit due to greater support from its constituents)

Good luck to you.

Mike
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:42 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint
4/1/07 dose

In My post on Flint Talk 4/1/07
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=11071#11071

I suggested that we “Ask each candidate what their strategy will be to keep kids in school. “

I then said “If they do not have a detailed answer that demonstrates a knowledge of educational theory , school funding and the current financial position of the Flint Community Schools do not vote for them, look elsewhere. “

My question to you is:
“What is your strategy to keep kids in school. “

All are invited to respond.

If you are a candidated for the Flint Board of education consider giving your name the seat you are running for and How people can get in touch with you. An email address would be great.

You are invited to post directly to Flint Talk. Or email to me and I will post it for you.

Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Erica Leverette
F L I N T O I D

Greetings and thanks again to Rapunzel and Mike (Dr. Cross) for reasons you mentioned I did register for this site. Strangely enough, I continue to be misquoted...though at least here, I have the opportunity to state my own viewpoints. Many questions are 'out there' to school board candidates, especially those of us who are current school board members. I will take the time to compile all of my answers and then post.

I did want to post today a portion of an email that I sent: A regard that is noteworthy on behalf of the candidates who are currently board members is that we may schedule subcommittee meetings throughout each month - so the required RSVP's may conflict. Personally, I serve on four subcommittees, in addition to working and my family.

Sadly, I was informed that I would not receive some endorsements because I did not participate in forums. I show up where it matters - for the board duty in which I serve. It needs to be communicated, that board members have additional duty outside of the regular meetings and those duties take precedence over attending campaign activities.

Will post again soon, thanks for the time and space, Erica
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:33 am 
Rapunzel

"Sadly, I was informed that I would not receive some endorsements because I did not participate in forums. I show up where it matters - for the board duty in which I serve. It needs to be communicated, that board members have additional duty outside of the regular meetings and those duties take precedence over attending campaign activities. "

RAP says...
Boardmember Leverette,

I am confused with your wording...Forums are to educate the public to help them make their own decisions.

Interviews are held to make endorsements to encourage others to side with a select group's perception of who should be elected decided by the answers to questions they wanted to hear. These questions are not always open to public or ALL ANSWERS.

Please attend an open, honest forum.

I know being a boardmember takes much more time than sitting at a meeting. Researching, factfinding and doing your homework on every decision that will come before you could take the better part of a week. Then the next slate of proposals come before you to research.

Politics is the dirty part of an elected position but you must be as adept at playing in the dirt if you want to continue to be a policy maker.

Not pretty but true.

I applaud your priorities but you can not put the end before the means.

You must first get elected to continue to make great decisions on behalf of Flint's children.

Thank YOU! for putting our children foremost.

Peace,
RAP
Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:47 pm 
rapunzel

Please bring back Dr. Chow!

Rap
Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

To:Erica Leverette

Q: Is there a special meeting of the Flint Board of Education Saturday
on 4/8/07 at 4 PM. Channel 5 announced there was. Some board , Flint Town Talk, discussion says it was cancelled? Is there a meeting?

Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Erica Leverette
F L I N T O I D

As I shared in another post - it is hugely important for the community to be aware that BOE meetings are scheduled, rescheduled, cancelled, location or venue changed as needed to accommodate 4-9 members of the BOE as well as administration.

I don't believe that anyone wants me to campaign over attending to the duty (meetings or otherwise)for which I applied.

So yes, "Sadly" if I do not receive endorsements, I would appreciate the acknowledgement at least for when I have board meetings...in which my presence demonstrates that our children, (and not being in the limelight) are my priority.

My own personal life has taken a huge sacrifice to serve on the BOE - the difference between the many volunteers that the school district has (for which they are much appreciated) is at this time, I do not have a choice to not contribute - I took an oath. I cannot justify routinely not attending board duty, a volunteer does not have the same obligation as myself. I duly swore to serve on this board, and I do so.

I do appreciate the support that I have, and I trust and am thankful that my heart is heard, Thanks for the time and space, Erica
Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:42 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thank You Ms. Leverette, thanks for all your hard work on the School Board.

Ryan Eashoo

quote:
Erica Leverette schreef:
For anyone interested, I decided to repost all that I have written thus far, Thanks for the time and space, please see as follows, Erica

Wouldn't it be great if all of this time and energy were actually expended on the children???

I decided to post only because a tremendous amount of inaccurate information is being "fed" online. The Board of Education members who are up for election or re-election are not running on a slate. Also, I did not know any of the Board members personally beforehand - I was appointed August 2006 (and I believe that holds true for Tracey Fountain also - appointed September 2006), nor did I not confer with anyone in particular other than some friends from the community (no political facets) on my decision to apply for the Board.

Two vacancies (July/August 2006) offered a huge opportunity for those who state they have "concerns about the Board" but did not apply at that time, but now find such incompetence and fault - did they submit to serve on the Board??? I am not abdicating responsibility only offering facts. Further, the Board of Ed offers $30 per meeting - an average of $100 a month. I was not aware of the stipend and would do this as a volunteer - it is actually important to me...

Yes, racism is alive and well - this fact does not need to be ignored - however, why is it that there is a constant reference to the Board of Education being constituted predominately African-American??? Is that some type of inference??? The traits and attributes that someone who serves on the Board of Education would primarily need are: commitment and dedication to children and the community - also, spelling and grammar are a huge plus...at least so that others can attempt to acurately interpret...

I resent the further references of "skill sets" "strategies to unseat this Board" and "cheerleaders"!!!! All of this is a horrible waste of time and energy and I am still disturbed that as I and many other parents in Flint struggled and fought for general ed curriculum for our children- this multitude of energy did not even pose the question to us regarding our concerns!!! This is an outrage - and though I will compose myself, I was not fully informed that my interview would be online...is not informed consent still in order or at least professional protocol???

I have been "eye opening" informed of just how this school system deteriorated - just read the posts....There is now an opportunity to restore our educational system and ultimately our children - with the reform plan - have a conscious - there is a God...Erica

Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Erica Leverette
(This was my response to a reply that somehow disappeared...?)

Thanks for that, I think I am entitled to "an" error - many errors are not acceptable, especially considering I don't make it a habit of posting just for the sake of...I am tired right now, but I am still disgusted - even now that you are finger pointing - - “conscience” and “conscious” both apply even though I meant the first so - once again - thanks, for finger pointing out (your words) "I suggest you make DAMN sure you are pristine with your own communication" - I'll be sure to keep that in mind, since I have enough dignity not to use profanity online...by the way, respond if you choose, but this is my last post (time and energy are of a premium...)

Erica

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:31 pm

Additional by the way, please pardon any other spelling or grammatical errors...since there is not an additional opportunity to edit and I needed to share some things, Thanks for the space and time, Erica

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Erica Leverette
F L I N T O I D

Thank you Mr. Eashoo

also - please share that I am having an "awareness" fundraiser (at the urging of friends and family Wink )

Thursday - May 3, 2007 Fuddrucker's 6:30p-9:00p $15.00 per person
A special "Thank you to The Flint Community"
Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:51 am 
Erica Leverette
F L I N T O I D

Politics as usual must end in this town...Funny how I can see people in person, and nothing of the sort that is posted is ever said (sad Crying or Very sad ) - I am not hardly a "go along to get along type" and I know my priorities. I believe in building my community, not further tearing it down. Again, I appreciate the support that I do have, Thank you, Erica
Post Fri May 04, 2007 7:57 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: