FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dr. Cross Daily Log
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

I’ve enjoyed reading, participating in this medium the last few weeks. I think Terry Bankert is onto something when he predicts that the internet will continue to evolve into a very powerful tool for political discourse. My hat is off to him for being ahead of the curve and stimulating discussion, encouraging input and revealing issues. It’s scary to think that some individuals would actually prefer to suppress open dialogue and free-thought. I suppose those individuals are fearful of what they can’t control.

As some of you know, I am running for a two-year seat on the Flint Board of Education. Mr. Bankert, said, “come on in, the waters are fine.” Well, what the heck, I think I’ll be courageous and test the waters…………I’ll be writing a daily log/diary over the next few weeks leading up to the election on May 8th. I’ll write about my thoughts, experiences with the campaign, concerns, etc.

If elected, maybe I’ll even continue the log/journal as a means of keeping open communication between the board and the public.

Please feel free to comment, ask questions, constructively criticize, etc. If you want to read, be my guest and I hope you enjoy and spread the word. If not, “e pur si muove.”

Mike
CrossSchoolBoard@aol.com

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

March 28, 2007

Met with the East Side Business Association today:
This is an association of business people and concerned citizens from the East Side of Flint. About 30 people present. The school board candidates present were A.C. Dumas (one year term), myself (two-year term) and Fred Bazier (one-year term). Mr. Dumas is a good public speaker who kept the audience interested. Mr. Bazier is a likeable man who I hope to see win one of the four year seats. I’ve spoken at length with him about the future of the city and school district and I admire his passion for the education of the children of Flint. I believe he would be a positive addition to the school board and I look forward to serving with him.

Hopefully my message was effectively delivered. I consider myself an excellent public speaker until it comes to having to brag about myself. That’s always a bit outside my comfort zone. I suppose this comes from that strict Protestant upbringing in which humility is taught as a virtue. I’ll have to overcome that as a candidate for office, because people really do want to hear what you bring to the table in terms of talent and ability. I guess I’ve always been more comfortable “doing and producing” and letting my achievements and success speak for themselves, then “tooting my own horn.”

Tomorrow night is my SEIU interview. This is the union that represents the paraprofessional and maintenance positions within the school district.

Until tomorrow, Peace.
Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:05 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

March 29, 2007

Had my interview with S.E.I.U. tonight. These interviews are all about endorsements. The various organizations interview the candidates for office to see which candidate they want to endorse. The endorsements usually equate to votes from the members of the union. So obviously the endorsements can be valuable and are sought after by most candidates.

I think the interview went as well as could be expected. My impression was that the interviewers are not a big fan of people in “suits.” This is understandable, they’ve probably been burned before and are sick and tired of hearing empty speeches and promises.

Obviously with the budget predicament within the Flint School System, a wide range of cuts will be necessary. Anybody who doesn’t realize or see this is not dealing in reality. So it’s a bit unsettling to sit in the hot seat in front of a group that knows, and you know, will have to receive cuts. Any manager worth their salt will tell you that the hardest part of being a boss is firing somebody. I’ve fired a number of people before, but they’ve all been for poor performance. I’ve never terminated somebody due to budget deficiencies. What a terrible thought to think that good, hard working people will have to lose their jobs. I don’t look forward to those decisions, but they have to be made.

One of the most valuable things anybody has told me since I threw my hat in the political ring is “don’t make any promises you can’t keep.” The only promise I made the S.E.I.U interviewers was that I would work to be fair with the cuts. If we propose cuts to jobs and/or wages and/or benefits to the SEIU members, then we must propose an equitable amount of cuts to the teachers and the administrators as well.

This all relates to my business philosophy of keeping the employees happy. The only way to realize long term revenue is to have satisfied clients (parents in this case) the only way to have satisfied clients is to have an engaged, productive and happy staff (Administrators, UTF, SEIU) the only way to have a productive staff is for them to feel appreciated, and feel that they are being treated fairly.

The long term success of the school system really depends on two components – keeping the parents happy and keeping the staff happy. If you can do those two things, the revenue will take care of itself. When the revenue returns you can rehire and rebuild infrastructure....in other words, one step back for two steps forward. Any candidate who tries to imply that there is a magic wand that will fix our problems is lying to you.

Tomorrow morning is the Flint Journal interview for endorsement. Until tomorrow, Peace.

Mike
CrossSchoolBoard@aol.com
Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:54 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"The long term success of the school system really depends on two components – keeping the parents happy and keeping the staff happy. If you can do those two things, the revenue will take care of itself. "

Mike, good luck, much easier said than done I fear. Once it becomes known what those constituents define just what it is that "keeps them happy" you may find some irreconcilable choices. Then what?

It should be so easy for a corporation. Tell GM, what makes Wall Street happy doesn't sit well with the UAW, and the salaried folks, well they just have to bend over and like it.

Same with teachers, staff and parents, and Sunnis, Shias and Kurds.

Still, good luck to you, I think you definitely would be a benefit to Flint schools from what I've read so far. Though I think when you may be a bit too modest when you describe yourself as an excellent public speaker except when it comes to bragging about yourself. You don't seem reticent at all. Wouldn't "superb" or "fantastic" be little more honest? Hey nothing wrong with confidence. If you don't believe in your abilities how do expect anyone else too?

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:24 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Biggie,

THANK YOU for the input. Always appreciate your opinion.

Indeed, I realize every single implementation/plan/idea that will come up regarding the FCS will be "much easier said than done" Smile I suppose that's why some are talkers and some are doers.

Regarding employee "happiness." I'm not suggesting that I want the employees of the FCS to punch in each morning and start doing back flips down the halls because they're so elated to be an employee of the school system. What I'm suggesting is that it IS possible for employees (from upper level management to the general work force) to all feel like they are an appreciated part of the success of an organization and also are part of the decision making process. There are many examples of corporations that are showing long term sustainable profits AND high employee morale. In fact, I would argue the two are directly related. (Have you read the book, First Break all the Rules by Marcus Buckingham?) It's a real good synopsis of the whole concept of employee satisfaction being tied to long term sustainable revenue.

And trust me, nobody has ever accused me of suffering from a small ego Smile it's just that when I have to stand up in front of a bunch of people and tell them how great my ideas are........this little voice says: "shut up- humility is a virtue." I'll thank my parents for that - and I mean that sincerely (they're two of the most wonderful people I know.)

Had my interview with the Flint Journal this morning. Sat beside Herbert Cleaves and the two of us were bombarded with questions from a panel of four. I'll provide a synopsis in my log later this evening.

Peace to you Biggie.

Last edited by CrossSchoolBoard on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:06 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Friday, March 30, 2007

I see there's been 125 hits to this Daily Log. That at least makes me feel like this log is not a waste of my time. Even if nobody read it, I'd still do it, because it's somewhat therapeutic I suppose. Plus it provides a record of the things I say/my positions, so I can look back and make sure I stick to my word if elected.

So this morning was the Flint Journal interviews. I’m not a hundred percent sure if it was for an endorsement or just for a chance for the Journal readers to be exposed to the candidates and their opinions. Either way, it was a good opportunity to spread my message.

Interestingly and to my surprise they invited myself and Herbert Cleaves (also running for a two year seat) to interview at the same time together side by side. I have a sneaking suspicion that this was not just a coincidence. Maybe they were hoping for some fireworks between the two of us? Or maybe I’m just reading too much into it. The fireworks came, but not how you might think (read on)

Mr. Cleaves and I sat in the lobby together waiting for our 9:30 appointment. We exchanged pleasantries and were led into an office where we sat next to each other in front of four Journal editors/writers.

They asked us reasonable questions and we gave our opinions. Mr. Cleaves and I respectfully agreed to disagree on a couple of topics but what I wish you could have seen was the passion with which we both spoke about the children of the community (this is the fireworks I was talking about) Here are two candidates for a political office who could not be more different (different generation, different religious beliefs, different tastes, different race, different etc., etc, etc,) But yet- when the two of us spoke about the future of the children of the city and the need to provide improved educational opportunities, the exact same passion was coming from our hearts. I wonder if the Journal representatives picked up on that?

So why the heck can’t we harness this same type of energy that is present throughout the community and move it/drive it/guide it toward a positive direction? Well, now the idealistic hippie side of me is coming out. But the pragmatist side of me also recognizes that you’ve got to harness this conviction if you’re going to get a long-term commitment from the community to move toward positive change.

After the interviews, Mr. Cleaves and I had a productive, private conversation for about ten minutes. Would you like to know what we talked about? Well, that’s between Herbert and I.

Tomorrow is all about door-to-door knocking. If I knock on your door and you're annoyed - I apologize - but just remember, it's for a good cause! Smile

Time to read to my little ones…..

Until tomorrow, Peace,

Mike
Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:49 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"Mr. Cleaves and I respectfully agreed to disagree on a couple of topics but what I wish you could have seen was the passion with which we both spoke about the children of the community."

"So why the heck can’t we harness this same type of energy that is present throughout the community and move it/drive it/guide it toward a positive direction?

"After the interviews, Mr. Cleaves and I had a productive, private conversation for about ten minutes. Would you like to know what we talked about? Well, that’s between Herbert and I."

Open communication should be one of the priority goals of candidates for the School Board. If it was a "private" conversation you should have kept it to yourself rather than send signals that you might be less than straightforward with the public. Do you mean to imply that you and Mr. Cleaves together on the School Board can work out your differences in private to present a united front in public?
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:06 am 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

OOSL2,

Thanks for the input.

Are you suggesting that every single conversation/every single word utterred between two political candidates should be public record?

Hmmmmmmm, don't think I agree. Maybe in a perfect world this would be desirable - but in a perfect world, we wouldn't need politicians would we Smile

You're right though, I shouldn't have "dangled the carrot if I wasn't going to share it." (Hey - I think I just invented a new saying!) Smile

thanks for reading OOSL2, and thanks for your input

Mike
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:18 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

No, I am not suggesting "every single conversation/every single word uttered between two political candidates should be public record." However, the fact that you made it known publicly there was a private conversation may be a problem for the other individual, as well as for others who will visit the polls on election day.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:43 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

The content of the conversation was between he and I. The fact that the conversation occurred certainly was not private - it took place in the middle of the lobby of the Flint Journal. How much more "public" can you get!

Oh well, we've beaten that horse to death, let's move on.
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:04 pm 
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Interesting day.

This morning I participated in the César Chávez Freedom March downtown. This was a parade and presentation to honor the 80th anniversary of the birth of this great civil rights leader/activist.

Met many interesting people. A few of them recognized my name as a candidate for school board and were supportive. That was encouraging.

The Hispanic community is a growing and ever increasing power within the city. The school board needs to be attuned to their concerns. I’d really like to see somebody on the school board who represents the Hispanic community. I’ve got an idea who that might be eventually and we’ve discussed his desire to eventually run for election. I hope he follows through with his plan.

When the school board is a mixture of representatives from all the different populations within the city and these groups feel like they have a voice and adequate representation - only then will the school system be able to truly flourish.

The afternoon was spent walking door to door and handing out campaign literature and meeting residents.

Synopsis:

Three people told me I was crazy for running for the school board

One person told me I was courageous for running for the school board

Met a high school teacher (FCS) who says he is suffering from depression due to the decay of the behavior of the high school students he teaches.

Met three young families whose children attend private schools:

Met a man (graduate of FCS) who has a 3rd grade son attending a parochial school: His words: “Well the FCS has 5 years to get their **** together, otherwise he’s going to Powers.”

One family indicated that they have no interest in sending their two children to public schools regardless of the perceived quality of the district because they want their children to be exposed to parochial education. Fair enough.

The other family (with three children) indicated they would prefer to send their children to FCS but don’t feel comfortable doing so right now. I can empathize with that sentiment. But what a lose-lose situation for everybody involved – the school system loses revenue because the three children aren’t enrolled. The family pay taxes to support the public schools but don’t take advantage, plus the family pays tuition for private school. And most importantly, the children lose out on the opportunity of a quality, public educational system, whose strength is community involvement and diversity.

Let’s put a price tag on this. On my campaign trail I met 3 families with a total of 7 children who DON’T attend the FCS. That equates to almost $50,000 in lost revenue for the district. And this was on ONE street. The revenue potential is out there- we’ve just got to get the families to believe in the FCS again.

The solution is obvious: improve the public’s perception of quality of the FCS and parents will stop pulling their children and/or return their children. Revenue goes up. Once revenue goes up, you can reinvest in the system (in the private sector we call this “retained earnings” – and it’s a great situation to be in)

So how do you do this? Well that’s the $225 million question.

Interestingly, two of these families expressed a concern about how the school system affects their property values. They’re definitely correct. When the perception of the school system of a city is less than stellar, it immediately eliminates up to 50% of the potential home buyers (young families) – who search out homes in school districts with more positive reputations. This makes property values plummet.

So the message is: as the FCS goes, so goes the rest of the city.

Peace

Mike
Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:39 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"And most importantly, the children lose out on the opportunity of a quality, public educational system, whose strength is community involvement and diversity."

Lose out how? Are you implying the education they are receiving is deficient in any of those areas....quality.....community.....diversity.....?

How so?

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:39 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint
4/1/07 dose

In My post on Flint Talk 4/1/07
http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=11071#11071

I suggested that we “Ask each candidate what their strategy will be to keep kids in school. “

I then said “If they do not have a detailed answer that demonstrates a knowledge of educational theory , school funding and the current financial position of the Flint Community Schools do not vote for them, look elsewhere. “

My question to you is:
“What is your strategy to keep kids in school. “

All are invited to respond.

If you are a candidated for the Flint Board of education consider giving your name the seat you are running for and How people can get in touch with you. An email address would be great.

You are invited to post directly to Flint Talk. Or email to me and I will post it for you.

Terry Bankert
attorneybankert@yahoo.com
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
CrossSchoolBoard
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
"And most importantly, the children lose out on the opportunity of a quality, public educational system, whose strength is community involvement and diversity."

Lose out how? Are you implying the education they are receiving is deficient in any of those areas....quality.....community.....diversity.....?

How so?

Biggie,

I wondered if that line would draw any comments. I’m glad you addressed it.

In a nutshell: NO – I’m certainly not implying that these children are not receiving quality educational opportunities.

My explanation may be a bit rambling – and I apologize:

My point is that the strength of the Flint Community Schools has always been their diversity. There is something unique about FCS graduates. Take a graduate of the FCS and plop them amongst any civilized community anywhere in the world and they’ll have the life experiences to assimilate into that community. Why, because they’ve learned over time that people are people and we all have the same basic needs, wants, desires. Could you say the same about a graduate of school in Northern Michigan or a suburb like Birmingham? I’m sure I’m not the only one who recognized the hypocrisy of so many of our college classmates from around the state and country………….i.e………they loved to point their finger at the social and civil injustices in our country (because it’s trendy to do so in college) but put them by themselves in Downtown Flint and they’d bust into a seizure from the fear of seeing an African American walking toward them on the street. I used to love to call them on their hypocrisy in open discussions during class time. It always resulted in the obligatory and clichéd response: “yeah but! One of my best friends is black!” They never even knew they were incriminating themselves.

I graduated from the FCS in 1986. Anybody receiving an education in the FCS during the 50’s through the 80’s was educated in an environment much like the working climate of the future (i.e. Diverse!) The globalization of our economy will mean an ever diversified work force. But the FCS is no longer a diverse community of learners. It is overwhelmingly made up of African American students from lower socio-economic families. These children have been left behind to suffer the effects of declining enrollment and revenue. This lack of diversity is both harmful to the children of the FCS and the children who live in the district but are not enrolled. I believe the children being educated in the private schools are receiving a good education. But I also believe if we could make the FCS more inclusive and representative of the entire population of Flint and Genesee County, that all the students of the FCS could be receiving a GREAT education. Maybe I’m looking through rose colored glasses, but great organizations that stand the test of time only come from great long term vision. You have to go about this from the perspective of “what would you do if you knew you could not fail.”

If you feel like I didn’t answer your question, please let me know and I’ll try again.

Mike
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:23 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Terry posted your Flint Journal questionnaire response on his Good Morning Flint Area link, and here's an excerpt:
quote:
terrybankert schreef:

3. Occupation, where you work and what city or township you work in.
Veterinarian (Owner Cross Veterinary Clinic of Grand Blanc)
Program Director (Baker College Veterinary Technology Program of Flint)

6. Family, including school-age children and if applicable, which schools they attend. Married two children 6 and 3.
My followup questions to your responses here are (1) Are you a resident of the City of Flint? and (2) What school does your 6-year-old attend? If your child doesn't attend Flint public schools, would you change that if you are elected to the Flint School Board and if not, why not? Thank you.
Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: