FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Just Say No to Flint Proposition 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Pro Ombudsman speakers needed at:

1/19/2006
4 pm East side Weed and Seed at the old Sobeys School.
6PM UAW Region IC meeting of the Genesee County Democratic Party
7 PM Arlington Heights Community Association at St. Marys

If you can help. Just go and speak for the retention of the Ombudsman office and recruit volunteers. Then let us know what happened.

Terry Bankert 01/19/2006
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I went to both the 4 pm Weed and Seed and the 6 pm crime watch at St. Mary's. I mentioned the ballot wording and what a Yes or No vote will retain\delete on both ballot proposals. As I must remain non-partisan on issues and both agenda's were quite full, I could not promote a pro-Ombudsman position in an open meeting.

The meeting for Arlington was closing at 7:30 pm. Some in attendance wanted to know what an Ombudsman was which I could have discussed after the meeting but had to go pick up my #1 priority!

I caught flack at Weed and Seed for speaking politics. Tutt Tutt.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I got that message today. It didn't even hit me that today was 1/19/2006. talk aout short notice. I thought that it would have been something that I could prepare for and then go. Not find out the day of or the day before.
Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

No need to prepare. Speak from your heart. Arlington is your area crime watch. I would have liked to introduce you to Erica and our nieghborhood COPS. Officer Buderakas was there, a fine upstanding member of our police dept. SGT. McCloud was also in attendance if you have concerns not addressed he is supposed to listen. Nuff said there.

I am not at liberty to promote one side or the other politically. I could have used you. Like with Hagler at another meeting I could ask a question and have him address the answer. Ask the right questions.

Adam speak up! I realize you were in unfamiliar surroundings. Thank you for attending, what did you learn today?
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:10 am 
Adam Ford

Eventually I will speak up, especially when I can get a chance. I mainly wanted to take it all in. I am definately learning. I was surprised how bad some areas are in Flint even though I have heard it. The Arlington Heights meeting really hit me hard. It definately gave me a lot to think about. I am still pondering it. I am a solutions kind of person. Although the situation seems very bad it may be even worse. This town will always have drugs and prostitutes especially if there is a hot market for it. There's pretty much drugs and prostitutes in every town. A gang, though illegal does have some business type aspects to it. When there is a market there is usually a seller. I think for every prostitute and gang dealer you see there is one, or more that you don't see. Although with more police you can drive more of this out of view it will still be there. The one guy at the arlington Heights meeting seemed a little obnoxious but I can definately understand his frustration. Although I can understand people desire to go after the gang members and the hookers I feel it is really the people who by the drugs and pay the hookers that really drive the market. Personally if I was trying to go after illegal activity like selling drugs and prostition I would go more after the supporters of this activity. Its more the buyers and not the sellers.

That's pretty crappy what happened to you at the Weed and Seed meeting Rapunzel. I got pretty bored at that meeting and was anxious to get to the other meeting otherwise I might have been there to get your back. If people cared more about politics in this town maybe we wouldn't have the problems that we do!!! It was nice to at least see Josh Freeman at the Arlington meeting. Personally I feel the mayor should have been there or at least one of his staff people. I hope the police at least give him a report. I heard Sandy Hill was supposed to come to Arlington but I guess she couldn't make it.

I'm starting to become more of a fan of the Flint City council meetings. I used to think they were not that great but I feel that this town needs to unify and take their concerns to the public record and to the top! I'm personally curious what I will say at this coming meeting. I feel I should try and give a decent speech for once. I hate making myself look dumb. lol
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:38 am 
Rapunzel

Josh, thought the meeting started at 7 pm and so was late. yes, Tony can be overbearing ang take over a meeting. A stronger moderator would not have let him do so.

Nothing crappy happened really, I was gently reminded it was not political. I had already made my point.

It was a wonderfull thing the new principal at Williams came to the meeting.
Tony was in bad form to belie the school truancy issue. This is being addressed at the board and the court level. This principal is taking over a position that was not involved in the nieghborhood and is stepping up to the plate. I will visit her and let her know Tony is not usually in attendance. She can not address city council on the issue of the school surroundings. Schools have thier own politics and it relies on not making waves if you want to keep your position!!!!!

The problem of the pool adjoining Willams is a city issue. I have had the same problems at the park adjoining Potter School. Though not to such a strong amount. Wow, to have a sitting principal address the mayor is not average. A smart principal will have someone to speak on her behalf. This lady cares! If you want to address the council on the situation on the city pool adjoining Williams you will be doing a very good deed. We very much need a partnership with the city and the schools.

The schools do nothing because it is city property, the city does nothing because the schools have strong utilization of the parks next to the schools.

Guns have been found by children at adjoining sites, until one is killed nothing will be done. Autonomy.
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:50 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Pro Ombudsman speakers needed at:

1/19/2006
4 pm East side Weed and Seed at the old Sobeys School.
6PM UAW Region IC meeting of the Genesee County Democratic Party
7 PM Arlington Heights Community Association at St. Marys

If you can help. Just go and speak for the retention of the Ombudsman office and recruit volunteers. Then let us know what happened.

Terry Bankert 01/19/2006

I spoke at the Genesee County Democratic Party executive meeting 1/19/06. 3 volunteers were recruited.

I announced another meeting at my office 1/28/06 1000 Beach St. Flint MI 10 am. The purpose will be to create a pro ombudsman ballot question committee to raise and spend money. All are invited.

Recieved some question about my statement in the invitation, articles and other posting . " The people behind the police milage are intent on destroying the Flint Ombudsman office."

Did I mean the individuals, unknown to me, who are attending meeting of the police milage committee, no. Did I mean historically the pro police voices thwarting the efforts of Flint Ombudsman , yes. Do I believe that members of the adminstration police and legal intentionally constructed the ballot language so that Yes keeps the milage and eliminated the ombudsmans office, a strong yes. DO I want a fight with the milage renewl committe no, unles it is brought to me. I support the milage. The trick will be how to educate the voters to vote yes on milage and no on ombudsman.

I am preparing a full response. I will post the long version to my blog and short to Flint Talk and Flint Citizen..

Thanks to everyone who attended meeting and spoke on the Ombudsman question. Your personal efforts are more important than any other efforts.
Terry Bankert 1/20/06
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:28 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

Now, that was a meeting!

Just arm me by monday. Please!
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:10 am 
rapunzel

How else could it have been worded?

The ombudsman is a section in the charter. It is supposedly functioning.

No, we do not want to get rid of it?
Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:21 am 

quote:
rapunzel schreef:
How else could it have been worded?

The ombudsman is a section in the charter. It is supposedly functioning.

No, we do not want to get rid of it?

If you look at the police proposal it has some explanatory information.
Proposal 2 could have had the same.

1. I attended the Genesee County Dem party Thur nite
2. I attended gcard friday day.

consider posting your activities in support of the ombudsmans proposal on flint citizen it willl motivate other..let our discussion board be here.. think of flint citizen as a 24/7 advocacy committee meeting....

note: having been gone for 10 years I am impressed with the quality of leadership in the neighborhood movement.

3. Meeting in my office next sat 10 am. I am spending some money I must form a ballot question committee and raise a little traditional money, snail mail to low turn out voters [school board voters] etc..I'll be the treasure if a saint will not volunteer..I prefer to not handle political money..

4. I have invited 200 to Flint Citizen.. my list HAS 700 MORE NAMES...FROM AROUND THE WORLD... I am looking for email address for flint or genesee county individual or organizations, we are being watched by some very good people.. keep it up.. we are transarent and individual actors using these platforme to communication and coordinate..I am always open to suggestions...

terry bankert 1/22/06
Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:38 am 
rapunzel

Heard "Terry Bankert was great at Roundtable on Friday!" sorry I missed it. The lady that does the newsletter would most likely put in a half page article if we submit it to her by the first week of Feb. May have to be non- partisan factual voter explaination. I can work on that.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:58 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Terry, you didn't drop off those wires. I got all the stuff today. I got enough for 25, I'm still dragging my feet on the wording. I shouldhave one ready for tuesday. I have a wire frame laying around here somewhere. Once I finish it I'll post it. But the office supplies didn't have as big of poster board as I wanted. These will work. But they will only be about 22x 15 each side. So it may not have everythig I wanted.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I think most yard signs are 22w X 14 there is a size limit. If you folded a 28 x 22 you would have 2 sides 14. If you are making homemade, I have 6 you could turn inside out and write on ( say retain 4th ward candidate on other side). Printed would look much better, more professional. I had zip mail make me a bunch once and then I laminated them. Posted them on telephone poles. Now, I know it's not legal but it worked. also a limit on how many days prior to election you can have them up and MUST take them down the day after. You can also put them on sides of vehicles maybe park them next to city hall! chuckle.
Post Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:58 pm 
rapunzel

can you think of a good theme song? we could go up and down the city streets with signs on the side. Just Vote NO! and music blaring from speakers! ooops maybe an average citizen would get in trouble for that!
Post Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:14 am 
rapunzel

When is the current Ombudsman's contract up? When, if proposal 2 has a NO vote will we get a new appointee to the Ombudsman office?
Post Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:21 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: