FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Taxpayer $$$ supporting American Idol
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

Does any one else find it appalling the Mayor is using taxpayer money to open city hall to watch American Idol???

"Pep Rallies" run by Trachelle Young are being held on city property, using city workers and city equipment to watch and support a reality show.

Don't get me wrong, I think supporting a local girl who has a chance to make this city look good again is a great thing. Spending taxpayer dollars to do it though is an outrage.

This is nothing more than another attempt by the Mayor to buy votes. He opens up city hall to support something guaranteed to get a lot of press. In the meantime he makes himself look good.

"Look citizens, I supported a local hero, vote for me, by a car from my wife!!!!"

He even promised to reward her himself during his state of the city.

"When she wins," he said, pausing while the audience exploded in applause, "and we know she's going to, then my wife (Patsy Lou Williamson) in this spot will present her with 5,000 one-dollar bills."

Later he admitted to never watching the show and couldn't even pronounce her name. He called her LaTisha several times during the night and got quite angry when aides corrected him.

"Let me spell it," he bellowed. "Capitol L-a, Capitol K-i-s-ha."

He doesn't care about her folks, just the election and the dealership.

Vote for me, buy a car from my wife.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:36 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would rather the mayor spend a couple of bucks promoting a fellow Flintoid then the city wasting over $30,000.00 on a symbolic special election for Medical marijuana and a wasted of time recall by a bunch of idiots that could not find their asses with both hands.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The amount of money you two are talking about is peanuts compared to the amount of money "The Don" will ultimately cost the taxpayers in lawsuits. One small example is the new Citizens Services Bureau he created at the police department. Just the labor grievance portion of the complaints will cost the city in excess of 2 million dollars. In Inkster a police official just won a lawsuit with almost identical circumstances for $250,000. So if 100 officers file a lawsuit with similar results it will cost the city around 25 million. Thats what happens when a multimillionaire with a limited education is allowed to make decisions without respect to the consequences. Using these numbers the 8 million(?) surplus means nothing.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:26 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I'm fine with the mayor opening city hall to watch American Idol. The viewing is open to the public, and those attending are taxpayers. It's not like taxpayers are paying for city hall to be opened to only a few special people.
Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

"When she wins," he said, pausing while the audience exploded in applause, "and we know she's going to, then my wife (Patsy Lou Williamson) in this spot will present her with 5,000 one-dollar bills."

Man I wished I knew the mayor was gonna throw down some scratch for a local contestant....i would have tried out. I can do a mean Slim Whitman.....

thats a dream come true for a supporter of the young female firefighters training program.

Training so hard there on many of those work-out places along Dort Ave.

I mean with 5,000 $1 bills, just think of all the incentive tips I could offer to those young ladies as they train on those large chrome poles.....

ha cha cha cha chaaaa.........

he may be an under-educated bully but I'm sure he takes pride in the fact of all the "highly educated" people he pays to serve him as his minions....

what people won't do for a buck....one of the first things they'll sell is their dignity in serving a mean-spiritied, but cunning and ruthless self-made millionaire. But thats been a fact of human-nature since recorded time.

I don't doubt Ms Young has better things to do with her time than make arrangements for cookies and punch...thats why we have administrative people, not city attorneys, but I am also sure the donald told her he wanted her to handle this thing personally.....better to have a female african-american being the face to the community than his bloated and beet-red puss.
he goes home to have the department heads kneel down and serve as furniture for him while he watches whatever it is he watches...I'm sure several of them are used top placing the donald's foot on their head in a sign of fealty.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:43 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Personally, I don't see the big deal... I think its one of the few good things he has done. Anyone, that was in his position would do the same thing. I may even make it down there to see the show.
Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

You don't see the big deal in The Mayor (vote for me, buy a car from my wife) using city workers, city equipment and resources to watch TV?

I'm disappointed Ted.

Maybe you're softening up Ted. I guess now you'll be voting for him and buying a car from his wife.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:56 am 
Ted J

I just don't see the sense in beating up the Mayor when he is actually doing smoething good. Any Mayor that would have been in his place would have done the same thing. And they should have. Why be critical when you don't have to be.

Now his appointments to the Bishop Board, that's another story. Why didn't we appoint some people from Flint? So far all his appointments to this board have not been from Flint! (If I remmember correctly).
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:09 am 
American Idle

Questions -
Weren't phones available at city hall for people to cast their vote?

If so, don't those calls cost extra, on top of the long distance charges?

If so, who is paying for the calls?

The mayor previously did things, including some improper or illegal house demolitions, and said he was paying for it out of his pocket. Then, he asked his city council to pay the bill and the council obeyed.

If the mayor or someone connected to the mayor says they are going to pay, then I would like to hear about it, after the check is deposited (or better yet... after the check clears) from the city employee who deposited the check... or maybe we could see the cancelled check.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:20 am 
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

What TAX PAYER money is being spent?

The numerous city employees getting paid overtime to work the pep rallys.

The city has paid money on equipment to run the show.

The city phones set up to make the phone calls. Every call costs the city money, despite the fact they are toll-free calls.

The heat and lights used after hours.

The city has supplied the food and drinks at the parties as well.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:58 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

That is pennies! Don't be such an grinch. The sheer public value of cheering on a hometown hero is worth all the nickels and dimes that you're talking about. There are certainly clearer examples of taxpayer fleecing than this for crying out loud.

Point your conservation efforts at corrupt politicians and city employees.

You just can't put a price on hometown pride. And those are mostly Flint taxpaying citizens using those facilities, not people from Grand Blanc.

Holla!
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 pm 

quote:
The Mole schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

What TAX PAYER money is being spent?

The numerous city employees getting paid overtime to work the pep rallys.

The city has paid money on equipment to run the show.

The city phones set up to make the phone calls. Every call costs the city money, despite the fact they are toll-f ree calls.

The heat and lights used after hours.

The city has supplied the food and drinks at the parties as well.
You sound like an American Idol contestant from Flint who didn't win and begrudges the attention Ms. Jones is getting. I pay Flint property taxes and I don't mind the expense of this celebration. It beats wasting taxpayer dollars on all the negative going on at City Hall. Flint needs some positive energy from City Hall and its employees. I hope Ms. Jones doesn't see your posts.
Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

There are things that the Mayor should do, that does seem to waste a few bucks. But, in the position of Mayor, and leader of the city. I think he did the right thing. Whether he paid for it or not. Doesn't matter! He took the right course of action! It was the right thing to open up City hall and have people come down to support Flint’s home town hero! Ever hear the term, Making a mountain out of a mole hill! I think your going just a bit overboard. He did exactly what any other Mayor would and should have done!

Not often I can approve of something he has done!

Speaking of which. Notice the Flint residents he appointed to the Bishop Board? Nope didn’t think so. He didn’t appoint anyone from Flint. I couldn’t figure out how a Union Hating Republican was able to gather UAW support. I know now! LOL
Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
There are things that the Mayor should do, that does seem to waste a few bucks. But, in the position of Mayor, and leader of the city. I think he did the right thing. Whether he paid for it or not. Doesn't matter! He took the right course of action! It was the right thing to open up City hall and have people come down to support Flint’s home town hero! Ever hear the term, Making a mountain out of a mole hill! I think your going just a bit overboard. He did exactly what any other Mayor would and should have done!

Not often I can approve of something he has done!

Speaking of which. Notice the Flint residents he appointed to the Bishop Board? Nope didn’t think so. He didn’t appoint anyone from Flint. I couldn’t figure out how a Union Hating Republican was able to gather UAW support. I know now! LOL

I agree, even dumb people luck out and do smart things once in a while.

When something is "right" (Lakisha) you've got to grab on, ride the wave and foster it as much as possible. She's good for the city (although only temporary) but any positive vibe is better than the usual negativity we get around here.

It will be interesting to see how the school board tries to feed off her energy and claim her as "their" product.
Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:45 am 
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

Here's the point of the story, since no one seems to be getting it.

The Mayor has repeatedly turned down overtime for vital city services such as garbage pick up, street plowing and salting, police patrols, building maintenance and streetlight repair. He thinks that water mains only break during normal working hours and gets highly upset when workers have to get paid time and a half to repair them. That's why a main break a few months ago went all weekend before it got fixed. He cut standby pay so no one was available to fix it.

You should be upset that your streets weren't plowed because he turned down overtime, yet city workers are getting paid time and a half to run American Idol pep rallies.

The only reason he is allowing this is because it is getting national attention and he can stand by and say "Look at me, I'm doing a good thing. Vote for me, buy a car from my wife."

He doesn't care about the citizens of Flint, which is why he cuts funding to vital services and puts them towards things that make him look good.

For the record, I don't hate Ms. Jones. I think she's a very talented singer who has a great shot at winning the contest. I agree with what Simon said a few weeks ago when he said the rest of them can go home. What I disagree with is the may using this positive thing for the city as a way to make himself look good.

This man is not a positive thing for the city, he is a cancer. He is taking credit for others work and using it for his own gain.

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:03 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: