FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Man, what happened to FlintTalk and Why does Flint Suck?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
By the way....forget about teaching your kids Spanish. Prepare your children to think globally. Have them learn Mandarin, as I have my two children learning. As CHina prepares to be the center of the world's economy, which it will, the next generation must be ready for a world where the United States no longer dominates.

Also, why isnt my picture showing up?

i dunno, I see it fine.

guess if you take on the guys who say "Flint sucks" it should make for an interesting family visit next time you see your brother, since he's prone to take that line.

I bet you can take him though. give him an extra noogie on the noggin for me.

as far as your previous post, I would just say this, corporate leaders do care about the effects of their decisions. Just they can't allow those feelings to over ride some of those larger decisions made, i nthe best interest of the company to remain a going concern. They indeed serve a number of constituencies, some of who have conflicting interests.

looking forward to your participation.

how do i reply?
The corporate elite have repeatedly made short-sighted decisions in the name of profit, eliminating the thousands of loyal repeat buyers of their product---their workers! I have had the unlucky insight about the automotive industry and the quality issues that go by the wayside for the short term profit by using cheaper and less reliable parts with quality issues that have been forecasted years ahead of time without much thought, time and expense that it will take later rather than to pay .25 cent extra for the more quality part to begin with...Multiple layers of management continue to use their new lease cars annually, without any insight to what the average buyer experiences over the life of the car (I've had multiple conversations about this with Mullaly and with Ford Jr.). How can corporations care about its workers, consumers and PRODUCT when relying on the beancounters to make major decisions about the direction of the automotive industry rather than the cutting edge engineering, styling and safety that is supposed to be the capstone of the American vehicle? This along with the american automotive industry taking for granted their place within the global economy and ill preparation for foreign competition and its bid to seek low wage labor elsewhere had sucked the breath out of Flint in its entirety.

I hear over and over again, the misguided rants about the union and how they've brought the automotive industry to its knees.,lt's not the union, its management! with their multiple layers of management, unnecessary-nonvalue added processes, short sighted decisions that may benefit the company in the here and now but without much thought as to how its decisions are going to affect the communities (and the tax base) which houses their manufacturing facilities and the effect that this will have on the abundance of consumers that can no longer support the automobile industry. Coupled with lack of education, poor migration from the american south, the return of vietnam veterans, the introduction of the drug culture, segregation in towns like FLint, and its subsequent racism and classism that is so prevelant , its no wonder why so many shake their heads at its situation and 'write it off' without understanding the real reasons why and without hope of what can become should private and public industry are lured back into the region to invest in the community. As it gets worse, people become more desperate, stress levels increase, crime swells, its communities and schools segregate, and children are without the role models and job base to look forward to...

What's going on in Flint is going on in Galesberg, IL, where the city's main employer, Maytag has outsourced operations to China (My brotherinlaw, who works for maytag, spends30 weeks per year in China training their engineers). Same with CLintwood, VA where Travelocity, the town's largest employer, decided that training Indian operators was the best way to go. Celina, TN with the closing of the city's largest employer, OshGosh spiked unemployment rates to 16% and the household income is $14,000 A YEAR- below the federal poverty rate for a family of four!.

FLint is not alone....And not only is the UNited States going to INdia and China for cheap labor, but they are going there for talent as well as the U.S. lags behind in skilled workers, engineers, etc. that are prepared to do business globally. My uncle, who is the Dean of Engineering at a local University is charged with going to China and India six times per year to recruit engineering students...because they don't have the faith in the traditional american student to fill these gaps...SAD

Flint needs a relationship builder, a person who knows business, an ambassador, and an intellect to lead this city/ Most importantly, he or she needs a person that can be trusted, by its residents, its local and state governments and by the business sector as well. I hope that FLint finds a leader whose own agenda is not paramount and will work to strengthen the city in creative ways while attracting skilled workers and businesses to the area...

ok, enough ranting,.,i can go on and on...and on and on and on....

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

please excuse the above posting's grammatical errors and use of run-on sentences. This is not an indication of my FLint Public School education, rather, that i posted while half-sleeping at 2:00 a.m.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

OMG......what have I done?

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

awww shucks, Mr. Eashoo!

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Welcome To Flint Talk, Who would of thought Al Garcia's Sister would be so good looking!!

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
Not opinionated...my postings will be based on facts, research and the current state of the economy on Southeastern Michigan...

Flint is no anomaly. It's just another town who depended too much on an industry that was bound to change because the globalization of our economy and the need for greed by corporate America. Don't you you hear that sucking sound of our jobs being imported to China and India? Unfortunately, corporations and their leaders don't care about the people that it left behind in places like FLint, MI. Profit for its stakeholders is the bottom line. Whether it be through automation or outsourcing jobs to other countries (which will be increasing in the next five to ten years), profit over people is the mantra of this corporate driven government and its leaders. Flint received the brunt of this....hard.

I've lived in the city of Detroit and the metro Detroit suburbs for sometime. Yes, Detroit has gotten a bad rap for crime, segregation, lack of green space, etc.--but this has never compared to Flint (in fact when I say I'm from FLint, I get a lot of Detroiters say 'wow! youre still alive!"). I work downtown and the area and neighborhoods are booming with yuppy lofts, middle class housing, international restaurants, cultural attractions, and more and the experience is amazing. Where else in Michigan can you go for Cuban for lunch, take in a tigers game, have an arabic dinner feast and then head out to a broadway performance? The Detroit area's economy is fueled by much more than manufacturing, the industry on which Flint alone has depended. When an entire city depends on one industry to survive, and this industry globalizes and leaves, the poverty, mass migration, replace what once was a vibrant city. The cultural offerings and anything else Flint may have had to offer is not enough to sustain Flint. The city of Flint and it's residents need retraining and education, and leaders that will attract FLint as a place to conduct global business and tout its location to the metro Detroit skilled workforce as an attraction. Flint and its schools need to educate its children with a global perspective as the region and the nation need future business people that are prepared to business globally.

I have a lot more to say...and am appalled by the type of 'debate' that goes on with this website...amazing...Flint doesnt suck. It's economy does. Don't mistake that with the fine people who have chose to stick it out, stay behind and make a difference.

Also, please note that my last name does not imply agreement or endorsement of my older brother or his opinions herewithin. We're two different people with totally different life experiences...so please dont' expect the same type of postings.

Special shout out to Erica Leverette, my old homegirl from Walker Learning Center and the JBToolfist guy because TOOL F__KING ROCKS.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: