FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: CANDIDATES ON CRIME
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Who do you think has the best platform on Crime?
Dayne Walling
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Dale Weighill
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Scott Kincaid
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Norm Bryant
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tamra Edwards
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

Lets compare the candidates for Mayor on the issue of crime in Flint. You decide who has the most comprehensive platform for tackling this important issue. The Following comes directly from their campaign websites:

Dayne Walling: Safe Streets: Deploy community police patrols to decrease crime in target areas and around schools, parks, hospitals, and businesses.

Dale Weighill:

I propose we radically restructure the City’s Police Department, making it more responsive to the needs of Flint’s residents and at the same time giving individual police officers the resources they need to fight and win the war on crime.
We will reconfigure police work schedules and redeploy existing City of Flint police officers, guaranteeing that no fewer than five 2-person patrol cars will be in each sector of the city at all times. This will drastically reduce the police response time to 9-1-1 emergency calls and will increase police presence and visibility in all areas of the city. Our goal will be to respond to all 9-1-1 calls in less than 10 minutes.
We will take affirmative steps to ensure that staffing of the Police Department, including its top leadership, reflects the diversity of the community.
We will develop programs to mentor and hire Flint youth as police officers.
We will work to reopen the City Jail.
We will explore offering incentives for police officers to live in the city.
We will examine the necessity of special units within the Police Department (traffic, special operations, CATT, and COPS) in light of budget constraints and new priorities.
We will provide ongoing customer service training to police officers and 9-1-1 dispatchers.
We will pursue a merger of the County and City 9-1-1 systems.
We will establish functional police mini stations in each ward by partnering with businesses, houses of worship, and Flint Community Schools. Mini stations will serve as bases for an expanded community-policing program.
We will establish functioning neighborhood watches, staffed by community volunteers and supported by community police, which will cover every household in Flint.
We will create a ten-member Citizens Committee for Public Safety that will serve as a liaison between City of Flint residents and the Police Department. The Committee will meet quarterly with the Chief of Police and the Mayor and will be responsible for making recommendations to the Mayor and City Council for improvements in police effectiveness, deployment of officers, policing strategies, and the size of the police force.
We will institute a genuine neighborhood or community policing model in all high crime areas, with the goal of reducing crime in these areas by 50% over four years. As part of this strategy, we will re-establish the presence of neighborhood foot patrols or “beat” cops in certain areas.
We will explore reconstituting the Police Athletic League and explore other innovative strategies that seek to build trust between law enforcement and residents of Flint, especially young people.
I will appoint a permanent Police Chief who possesses a solid understanding of urban and community policing with a proven track record of reducing crime in a city setting. A national search will be conducted, if necessary.
We will hire additional detectives to resolve the serious backlog of citizen complaints at the Police Department.
We will bring the Police Department’s technology and Management Information Systems into the 21st century, ensuring that police business is conducted in the most effective, efficient manner possible.

Scott Kincaid : ????????? NONE

Norm Bryant: The crime reduction portion of the City Improvement Plan will include:

Appointing a permanent police chief
Developing and implementing a strategic crime reduction plan which include proactive policing
Working collaboratively with local, state, and federal agencies
Reviewing and adjusting, as needed, the deployment and responsibilities of all the police personnel reinstalling the neighborhood policing concept
Increasing the number of detectives in the department
Reopening the city jails if funding is available
Organizing more neighborhood crime watch groups and citywide block clubs
Working collaboratively with the school system, faith based organizations, and private agencies to create more after school activities for youths

Tamra Edwards: ???????
Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

clearly Dale comes from a background where he was paid by the word.

Its brilliant; develop a plan that is guaranteed to render the reader unconscious. Then the cops swoop in and sweep the sleeping miscreants.

Only problem....most of those criminals can't read.

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:14 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Any reason you left me off the List?

Consider I believe I have the best Crime reduction plan!
Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

No kiddin' biggie...................I got to the second line of Dale's plan and I was...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And my graduate thesis was on War and Peace for cripes sake.........so it ain't like I don't have an attention span!

No longer will I count sheep for insomnia. I'll just go to D.W.'s website. Smile
Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

I can't believe voting for Williamson is not an option on your poll. Are you kidding? For crying out loud look at all he's done. He won't appoint a permanent police chief, he won't disclose details for opening the city jail, he has created more dissention in the police department than ever before and he's lowered police morale to all time levels. He has also reduced the numbers of police on patrol by promoting five unqualified people to administrative positions. All this must be good for crime. LOL
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am 
bryan

Its disappointing to see that someone gets criticzed for actually thinking through a problem, and sharing their solutions in detail. Are we a community that is satisfied with empty promises? Canned responses? Or maybe everyone believes that the current mayor's "I don't need to tell you-because you don't need to know" style of governing is whats best for the citizens of Flint.

And, Ted, since you mentioned it... what is your plan? 2 pitbulls for every household? Put up or get out- cause mocking peole doesn't put you on higher ground! You're not getting my vote unless you prove that you have some solutions to Flint's problems.
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34 pm 
bryan

lumped you together with the others! sorry.
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:37 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

I actually read Ted's Plan.
Its concise YET comprehensive.

Much better than than DW's turgid prose....there may be a plan in there, just remove the superfluous adjectives and adverbs.

Thats what leadership is all about Bryan, being able to convince others to follow.

If you're full of flowery BS, we may expect the flowers to bloom and the grass to green but not much else.

Sorry, but thats life. Perhaps he can be the leader of the smoking jacket, brandy-snifter and martini set, but that ain't very many in Flint.

Perhaps he should run as King of the Cultural Center?

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:07 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

and where is Ted J as a choice on the poll?

No Pole in the Poll?

No vote I say!

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:09 pm 
Sara D

Anything is better than what the other D.W. has to say about crime. He's spent "years" (his words, not mine) planning to run for Mayor and all we get is a single sentence on the crime issue. Dayne's candidacy has been hyped for months now and so far I don't see much substance to back it up.

And...For what it's worth, I think people want to see a candidate who has plans for Flint that reflect the community. I think Dale's ideas do that.
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 pm 
Bombastic9

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
I actually read Ted's Plan.
Its concise YET comprehensive.

Much better than than DW's turgid prose....there may be a plan in there, just remove the superfluous adjectives and adverbs.

Thats what leadership is all about Bryan, being able to convince others to follow.

If you're full of flowery BS, we may expect the flowers to bloom and the grass to green but not much else.

Sorry, but thats life. Perhaps he can be the leader of the smoking jacket, brandy-snifter and martini set, but that ain't very many in Flint.

Perhaps he should run as King of the Cultural Center?

Your posts are the difinition of TURGID PROSE. They are swollen9! tumid9! pompous9! bombastic9! Do you really think that plan was full of extravagant, unnecessary words??
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:44 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
bryan schreef:

And, Ted, since you mentioned it... what is your plan? 2 pitbulls for every household? Put up or get out- cause mocking peole doesn't put you on higher ground! You're not getting my vote unless you prove that you have some solutions to Flint's problems.

Considering it's readily available online. You may read it for yourself! I have it outlined. http://www.ted4mayor.com/crime_fighting.htm

I actually quite a bit of DOABLE! stuff. Too many people promise "Pie in the Sky" programs. Nothing I’m proposing is not obtainable. Some of which could be done without costing an additional dime! Common Sense Stuff. It's in there!
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
mark thompson schreef:
Lets compare the candidates for Mayor on the issue of crime in Flint. You decide who has the most comprehensive platform for tackling this important issue. The Following comes directly from their campaign websites:

Dayne Walling: Safe Streets: Deploy community police patrols to decrease crime in target areas and around schools, parks, hospitals, and businesses.

Dale Weighill:

I propose we radically restructure the City’s Police Department, making it more responsive to the needs of Flint’s residents and at the same time giving individual police officers the resources they need to fight and win the war on crime.
We will reconfigure police work schedules and redeploy existing City of Flint police officers, guaranteeing that no fewer than five 2-person patrol cars will be in each sector of the city at all times. This will drastically reduce the police response time to 9-1-1 emergency calls and will increase police presence and visibility in all areas of the city. Our goal will be to respond to all 9-1-1 calls in less than 10 minutes.
We will take affirmative steps to ensure that staffing of the Police Department, including its top leadership, reflects the diversity of the community.
We will develop programs to mentor and hire Flint youth as police officers.
We will work to reopen the City Jail.
We will explore offering incentives for police officers to live in the city.
We will examine the necessity of special units within the Police Department (traffic, special operations, CATT, and COPS) in light of budget constraints and new priorities.
We will provide ongoing customer service training to police officers and 9-1-1 dispatchers.
We will pursue a merger of the County and City 9-1-1 systems.
We will establish functional police mini stations in each ward by partnering with businesses, houses of worship, and Flint Community Schools. Mini stations will serve as bases for an expanded community-policing program.
We will establish functioning neighborhood watches, staffed by community volunteers and supported by community police, which will cover every household in Flint.
We will create a ten-member Citizens Committee for Public Safety that will serve as a liaison between City of Flint residents and the Police Department. The Committee will meet quarterly with the Chief of Police and the Mayor and will be responsible for making recommendations to the Mayor and City Council for improvements in police effectiveness, deployment of officers, policing strategies, and the size of the police force.
We will institute a genuine neighborhood or community policing model in all high crime areas, with the goal of reducing crime in these areas by 50% over four years. As part of this strategy, we will re-establish the presence of neighborhood foot patrols or “beat” cops in certain areas.
We will explore reconstituting the Police Athletic League and explore other innovative strategies that seek to build trust between law enforcement and residents of Flint, especially young people.
I will appoint a permanent Police Chief who possesses a solid understanding of urban and community policing with a proven track record of reducing crime in a city setting. A national search will be conducted, if necessary.
We will hire additional detectives to resolve the serious backlog of citizen complaints at the Police Department.
We will bring the Police Department’s technology and Management Information Systems into the 21st century, ensuring that police business is conducted in the most effective, efficient manner possible.

Scott Kincaid : ????????? NONE

Norm Bryant: The crime reduction portion of the City Improvement Plan will include:

Appointing a permanent police chief
Developing and implementing a strategic crime reduction plan which include proactive policing
Working collaboratively with local, state, and federal agencies
Reviewing and adjusting, as needed, the deployment and responsibilities of all the police personnel reinstalling the neighborhood policing concept
Increasing the number of detectives in the department
Reopening the city jails if funding is available
Organizing more neighborhood crime watch groups and citywide block clubs
Working collaboratively with the school system, faith based organizations, and private agencies to create more after school activities for youths

Tamra Edwards: ???????

Haven't seen many plans yet, except Dale Weighls.. Looks good, sounds good.

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Here's my advice to all Flint voters...............go out of your way to actually meet the candidates face to face...................and then vote based on your intuition.

I've met them all.

the Don (a fool with money)
D.W. (Lots of Fluff, but not a true Flintoid)
D.W. (Born and raised in Flint, competent and brilliant - but can he bridge the racial gap?)
T.J. (Good pot stirrer but he's not actually serious about running this city)
Norm (Nice guy, but no way will he attract federal funding or other private grants for the city or schools)
Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:32 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Interesting, Pot Stirer huh?

I don't stir unless I have a solution!

Old saying in the Marine Corps, "If you don't have a solution, there isn't a probelm."

So, when I point out a probelm, it's because I have a solution. Presenting and being willing to or actually implimenting a program is positive action!

Thus the reason I become a bit annoyed with people who claim I'm being negative. It's mostly becuase they don't understand what being positive really is.

In the arena of apology, the idea is to hep people see the solutions for themselves! Thus I don't always just blast out a solution. I attempt to lead poeple through the problem while giving them the informaiton needed to find the solution.

Another old saying I like to use. "You cannot teach a man anything, only help them to find it within themselves." The probelm is that many people have their own pardime. It's sometimes difficult to get them to see something they don't have prior knowledge about.

case in point: Many people think we need more police officers. Such as Crime is high we need more officers, they are over worked! You need to look at what work they are doing. Arresting the same criminal two and three times a night. If police could arrest and actually put the criminal in jail. thye wouldn't have to work as hard. Simple concept. But if you don't understand the whole problem. I cannot show you the solution!

Now there is a lot more to the whole problem. I'm just using that as what I believe to be a simple example. But, I do have the whole solution outlined on my website.
Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:02 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: