FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dayne Walling announcement video...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Don Supporter.

Lets be honest under Don Williamson are streets are cleaner, more houses torn down, downtown Flint is coming back, neighborhoods are stronger, we have extra money instead of being in the hole. We have a city jail opening, we have people re investing in the city.

4 MORE YEARS FOR MAYOR WILLIAMSON!!

quote:
Take A Crapo schreef:
Dayne doesn't stand a chance. His vision is limited to gentrification of downtown and development of colleges- insular institutions that are more interested in $ than community. 99% of Flint's population could care less about sidewalk cafes, condos, and college kids whom if they ever "come", most definately won't stay. Like so many Gen X Flint expats he "bleeds Flint". Thats easy when you have'nt lived here for years. I'm sure he loves his home town, but will he stick around long after he loses in November? Will there be a job for him. I know his little one is going to some FCS elementary (probably not Bunche or Wilkins) but will he want his child to attend a Flint HS? Of course it is his choice, but then again he is now a public figure subject to scrutiny. How can a cultured guy who has lived in DC and Minneapolis enjoy Flint. Of course, image shouldn't matter, but he comes across as sort of arrogant. The second coming of Matt Collier? I hope not at least for his family, not to mention his liver's sake.
The reason Ex-Con Don will win again, despite the mismanagemnet, corruption, and general circus clown behavior is that he has produced results (albeit negligible) for neighborhoods. at this point most Flintoids will take anything. His straight-talkin', salt of the earth image sells to folks of all races. Dayne's image won't sell to anybody outside of the 5% of over-educated downtown/east villagers with Ann Arbor fantasies. Couple that with his ignorance of neighborhood issues and his misguided focus on downtown and you have a loser.
He may be a nice guy, he may care, but he'll still be a loser.
If his platform shifts to address issues like public safety, job creation, and infrastructure maintenance then he has my vote. If he continues to stoke dreams of a "vibrant walkable" downtown and college dorms while neglecting the rest of the city not only will n\he not have my vote, he won't have anybodys vote... well except for the 10 people who subscribe to Uncommon Sense.
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:39 pm 
Take A Crapo

Dayne would be as ineffective as ex-con Don. Sure Don has made a dent in a few categories, but the spiral downward continues. I'm neither a Don nor Dayne supporter. There will be no Flint savior. As far as the election goes, Don's insane redneck shtick beats Daynes educated honky routine in a landslide... at least in Flint.
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:51 pm 

quote:
East Sider schreef:
Dayne cares little about Jews and Gays, he is a homophobic ass hole.

...oh, yes, and there are SO many jews and gays in Flint? I doubt he's homophobic. I've met him a couple of times and he seems like a fairly intelligent and enlightened guy. As far as the jew issue......if he "cares little" about them.........can ya blame him? They only care about each other and making a profit off us goyim.
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:45 pm 
Take A Crapo

That dude was just stirring the pot. Dayne probably isn't anti-semitic or a homophobe and while Flint doesn't have a huge Jewish population, it is a prominient one. As far as gays, are you kidding? Flint has a pretty big Gay population for a city its size. It may not be Richard Florida's so-called "creative class" gays, but nevertheless there is a significant # of gays and lesbians in Flint.
Dayne isn't an evil guy. Out-of-touch? Yeah. Pompous? Seems like it. Savior complex? Yeah. Are his intentions good? Probably. Is his "vision" realistic? Uh...
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:22 pm 

I don't think he's out of touch. I think he's completely aware of what it takes in Flint to win an election (cater to the idiots). But he's going out on a limb and hedging his bets that enough voters will recognize what it takes for long term growth and survival of a city. We shall see. If he doesn't win, at least he didn't cater to the lowest common denominator.
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:56 am 
Take A Crapo

"Cater to the idiots"- that is the sort of pomousity and arrogance that Dayne seems to exude. Is it idiotic to expect minimal policie protection, drivable roads, and sewars that don't back up into houses. If you ask me Dayne's long term plans that focus on a new urbanist downtown and accentuating colleges- a sector that is already maxed out in the US- is idiotic. Every other city in the US has a few major colleges and they all dream of being Boulder or Madison. Look, if Kalamazoo and Mt. Pleasant can't develop as college towns with 20,000+ students Flint won't. Flintoids need BASIC services right now. Dayne has been out of Flint so long, he has no idea. His long term plan is sure to fail because it concentrates on a very small portion of the city. It is an outgrowth of his overeducated desire to build the new urbanist fantasy world created by theorists and academics. Maybe he thinks Flint residents are idiots, maybe he thinks he know what Flint needs after having been gone for 10+ years, but w/o a grasp on what residents want NOW Dayne will be the one looking stupid in November.
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:51 am 
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

Are you kidding me ? Daynes not catering to the lowest common denominator?? Then why is he having all his meet and greets and fast food places? I find that to be INSULTING to the residents of this city.
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:37 am 
JBToolFist
F L I N T O I D

Would you prefer he has his meet and greets at the Red Rooster and.........................hmm, are there any other nice restaurants in Flint?
Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Take A Crapo schreef:
" Look, if Kalamazoo and Mt. Pleasant can't develop as college towns with 20,000+ students Flint won't.

This probably has nothing to do with Flint, but have you been to Kalamazoo lately? It's... a college town.

Most of Kalamazoo's and Portage's economies thrive on college students. That's why they have so many classy AND hole in the wall bars. And few shootings at them. Kalamazoo also has a more-or-less defined "student ghetto" community outside of campus.

Actually, if UM-Flint gets dorms, they will have an advantage over Kalamazoo in that their college is downtown and close to downtown businesses. Western's campus is very self-contained, and if it wasn't for the free public transportation for students, the ones that live in the dorms would probably never leave campus.

I think if downtown had more businesses and events geared toward college students, and maybe off-campus apartment housing, Flint could be come more of a college town. Probably never on the scale of Ann Arbor or Lansing... but why would we want to be?

Ok that was ranty. sorry.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:06 pm 
Take A Crapo

A student ghetto and a few bars do not make Kalamazoo a college town. Take a walk downtown, the mall is dead after 4. Sure the Corner Bar, Kraftbrau, and Club Soda get a few college kids, but Kalamazoo is primarily supported by a diverse work force with relatively high incomes. There is little development next to either campus. Much of the development that does exist on Staudium and Michigan can be attribued as much to the community. When you say college towns you think AA or Boulder or Madison- something with a thriving "walkable" community. Not K-zoo. Besides, Flintoids are tied to their cars. If there isn't parking, local college kids won't go.
Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:31 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: