FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Jail to reopen on May 21
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic

Two things:

1. Don't be surprised to see more guns stolen to turn in for money.

2. As far as selling guns back to legal gun owners, they should be given back upon the filing of a proper claim and proof of ownership.

JMHO
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:50 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
quote:
Adam schreef:
Ted, I think the gun buyback program would help because people typically use guns to kill people. With less guns on the streets they will have less ability to gain access to a murder weapon. In addition it sounds like Patsy Lou's money will be used as a bounty for people to report thugs with guns. In other words killers should be more likely to get stopped with a gun before they are able to use it because their freinds and enemies will have a financial incentive to "snitch".

As a more concrete example in the case of the 13 year old getting a gun and then killing someone. If that gun wouild have been turned in then he would not have been able to use it. Perhaps he would have found another gun to use but then again maybe not and that 26 year old might not be another statistic.

I'm also confused by your statement. You say "Call me silly, but how will this help?" and then "While yes, it is a good thing to get guns off the streets." Which do you believe?

C’Mon Adam, you’re smarter than that.

OK IF THAT GUN WOULD HAVE BEEN TURNED IN!

TRUE!

You are assuming that a criminal would have turned in his gun. Why would a criminal do that? And if Gold was found in the Flint river everyone in Flint would be rich! That makes just as much sense! Let’s have programs and waste time doing things that make people feel good about accomplishing nothing. So that they feel good about doing it.

The real question would have been, would that gun have been turned in? And if the 13 year old didn’t have that gun, he WOULD have had a different one! Criminals don't sell guns to cops! Unless they have a bunch of them that they've stolen from people's houses. Had police investigated the original crime! IE the home invasion and theft of the gun in the first place. We wouldn’t need gun BUY BACK programs! Why don’t we just say. IF guns were ever invented he wouldn’t have shot and killed that guy! It’s ridiculous!

Let's see how this works. Criminal breaks into house.
Police are told who broke in.
Suspect is seen with guns stolen from home.
Police are told where guns are being Kept!
Guns used in committing of another crime.
Some guns recovered after criminal uses them to commit another crime, others mysteriously disappear.
Years later City offers to buy be guns!
Hmm, I’m sorry. I don’t see how that is an effective program to reduce crime.

Seems to me what would have made the most sense would have been to pick up the criminal after they broke into the house and stole the guns in the first place. Arrested the criminal before they used the gun to commit another crime. Not wait until years later to try to get another criminal that bought the gun to turn it in to a buy back program. The criminal isn't going to sell a gun back in a buy back program.

Amen Adam!!

Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
gUEST schreef:
Two things:

1. Don't be surprised to see more guns stolen to turn in for money.

2. As far as selling guns back to legal gun owners, they should be given back upon the filing of a proper claim and proof of ownership.

JMHO

Even though it is simple for Police to check the serial numbers and find the original owners. They don't! Once a gun makes it to the police department. It find's legs and disappears!

Everything I've used in the discussion above. Is a fact! It's a documented and provable fact. About how this system works.

Criminals steal guns.
Police don't investigate (even when they have evidence and know who ahs the stoken guns)
Guns used to committ another crime. If criminal gets caught. The gun is never returned to original owner!

Mayor then offers rewward for the guns. This follows his whole leadership Style.

Fail to Plan.
Blame someone else.
Declare emergency because he is failing.
Offer reward to help fix his screw up!(or spend tax payers dollars buying equipment without council approval).
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
John

Ryan why wouldn't you support the Mayor, your related to him.
Post Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:43 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think a lot of criminals and non criminals would turn in guns. If I remember correctly you can buy a gun on the street for $20. If you then turn in that gun and get $100 you will make $80. That's probably more than some low end drug dealers/hustlers make in a week. This program probably won't save many lives but I woudn't be surprised if it might save one or two although it will be impossible to tell.

The other part of the program was a bounty program where we reward informants. That could save lives if we catch people with guns before they're able to kill.

I think it would be nice to know what the city intends to do with the guns once they get them.

Last edited by Adam on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:37 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
if we catch people with guns before that able to kill.

So how does a gun buy back affect THIS??? It doesn't! Plan and simple.

What affects crime is arresting and getting criminals that use guns off the streets. Just because you buy some unsed or rarely used guns from some people in Flint. It isn't going to make a dent in Crime unless you take the CIMINAL out fo the picture!
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:23 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

If we catch criminals with guns before they are able to kill we would be taking criminals off the streets. My understanding is the bounty program where if you tip off the police to someone carrying a gun illegally you will get rewarded would get criminals off the streets.

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

People do that already without having a reward!

But it hasn't done any good so far!

I had the guy at the end of the street, pointing at the car witht he guy who had just an hour eariler been shooting holes in th STOP SIGN) of which he had just stolen two days before from my neighbor) that I have on the introduction to my show! It didn't do any good.

He wasn't offered a reward. He stood next to the police car pointing at the guy and the car. They did nothing.

So how is having a reward system that will never pay out going to help??
Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:10 pm 
cyber50

You have never worked a Gun Buy Back before I have first hand seen guns come in that like Bossman says come from someone's closet or they got from a relative that passed away. This program does nothing but use officer time off the street to work this program takes a minnimum of three Officers to work and this is in one location then you need to have several locations around the city. when I worked it it was over twenty Officers at 8hrs. each do the math that is alot of lost police hours off the street. Thats the start then you have to move and log all weapons and then they are taken to the state Police to be destroyed. WHAT A JOKE. this program didnt work for the ATF and was a huge waste of Tax money during the Clinton days. First the Dope dealer needs the gun for Protection he does not need the twenty five dollars he would get. The gun is worth more to him on the street. Not to mention how many pieces of critical evidence are lost to this program. You take one gun off the street and there are several hundred more available.
Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I don't doubt your observation. Rational and it makes sense.
Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: