FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint City Jail to reopen on May 21
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5041568

FLINT (WJRT) - (02/16/07)--A safety emergency has been officially declared in Flint, forcing the reopening of the city jail and a new crime-fighting agenda.

Flint's mayor and police chief stood side by side Friday afternoon, spelling out the details of the latest three-point program to tackle growing crime in the city.

It may be coming on the heels of one of the deadliest weekends in Flint, but Flint's mayor and police chief say the plans they are announcing have been in the working stages for years.

And the "big teeth" of their crime-fighting plan were unveiled Friday.

The first part of the plan is an opening of the city lockup. That action will include the hiring of 21 jail guards and seven supervisors.

The target date for opening is about three months from now on May 21, and the jail operations will be funded by revenues from the new city-run impound lot. And those revenues will continue to keep the jail open.

Part two of the Safety Emergency Plan includes a gun buy-back program, and $60,000 donated from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership will fund the program that begins in April.

Details like how much money you can get per weapon and where to go to turn them in will be released before the April startup date.

And part three of the plan is an armed criminal bounty program. The city will be offering $100 rewards for anyone who helps them arrest someone illegally carrying a weapon on the streets of Flint.

The funding for that program is also a part of Patsy Lou Williamson's $60,000 donation. Citizens are asked to provide the tips through the city's 911 system.

The mayor's big crime-fighting announcement, by the way, came just minutes after paying a visit to the clerk's office. There he submitted some 1,200 petition signatures for his re-election bid.

Williamson is the first of 13 people who have taken out petitions to turn them in. Candidates for Flint mayor have until May 15 to turn in 900 valid signatures to get their name on the August primary.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:54 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

I think the Flint City Jail Should be opened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrByAzn0QM

Terry Bankert
02/17/07

see TV 12

FLINT (WJRT) - (02/16/07)--A safety emergency has been officially declared in Flint, forcing the reopening of the city jail and a new crime-fighting agenda.

Flint's mayor and police chief stood side by side Friday afternoon, spelling out the details of the latest three-point program to tackle growing crime in the city.

It may be coming on the heels of one of the deadliest weekends in Flint, but Flint's mayor and police chief say the plans they are announcing have been in the working stages for years.

The first part of the plan is an opening of the city lockup. That action will include the hiring of 21 jail guards and seven supervisors. .....

Last edited by terrybankert on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

The city can only hold them for 72 hrs then they have to go to the county.
If the county is over crowded for more than 3 days in a row they have to release.

This takes constant management of numbers. If one time they go over on the third day....the state will force Pickell to maintain a constant lower number in the county jail. I think it was 100 fewer beds.
Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:38 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

What will be needed is a night court and continued weekend arrraingment by the District Court Judges and a similar access to a Judge or Referee for the juveniles.

The system can bend to meet this need. The Judges have to get behind this.

Terry Bankert
02/17/07
Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Anonymous schreef:

So hold the 3 days and let the go! It is more that the city does now.

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

The first part of the plan is an opening of the city lockup. That action will include the hiring of 21 jail guards and seven supervisors.

The target date for opening is about three months from now on May 21, and the jail operations will be funded by revenues from the new city-run impound lot. And those revenues will continue to keep the jail open.

Part two of the Safety Emergency Plan includes a gun buy-back program, and $60,000 donated from the Patsy Lou Williamson dealership will fund the program that begins in April.

Details like how much money you can get per weapon and where to go to turn them in will be released before the April startup date.

And part three of the plan is an armed criminal bounty program. The city will be offering $100 rewards for anyone who helps them arrest someone illegally carrying a weapon on the streets of Flint.

The funding for that program is also a part of Patsy Lou Williamson's $60,000 donation. Citizens are asked to provide the tips through the city's 911 system.

The mayor's big crime-fighting announcement, by the way, came just minutes after paying a visit to the clerk's office. There he submitted some 1,200 petition signatures for his re-election bid.

Williamson is the first of 13 people who have taken out petitions to turn them in. Candidates for Flint mayor have until May 15 to turn in 900 valid signatures to get their name on the August primary.

Thank You Patsy Lou for the money for the gun buy back program, that will help

Post Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:

Call me silly, but how will this help?
How would have a Gun Buy Back Program kept the 13 year old getting a gun and then killing that 26 year old just a few weeks ago? Or How would that have stopped Terrance D. Pugh from killing the kid from Mundy Township? Wouldn't it make more sense for Police to pick up criminals that they already know have stolen guns? Wouldn't it make more sense to arrest and put in jail criminals that steal guns? I must be crazy! Because It seems to me that it makes more sense to actually go after the criminals that police know have stolen guns. Then to buy back stolen guns.

While yes, it is a good thing to get guns off the streets. The best part of the whole plan was to open the City Jail! It's way past due! I'm positive. That had we had a place to put that 13 year old and a place to lock away Mr. Pugh. That they wouldn't have been able to get a gun in Jail and then go out and kill someone!

Plus one side note! This "Safety Emergency" So why is it an emergency this year when crime only went up 6 percent over last year. But Last year's 12 percent increase was called a "MAJOR REDUCTION IN CRIME" (according to the Mayor's own state of the city address.) Or even why wasn't it an emergency when in his first year in power under his leadership Crime went up 17 percent. Plus spouting that stupidity http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/117171660396870.xml&coll=5 "the mayor's declaration of a jail emergency allows Williamson to reopen it without Council approval."

As if the council wouldn't have voted to open the jail? This is typical of the Williamson administration playing politics with the safety of the citizens of Flint! With a current 8.9 million "SURPLUS" the jail should have been the highest priority before ever hiring any additional officers! Officers complained that they do more work than officers on other departments! Why? Because it's is a lot of work arresting the same criminals two and three times a night and having to release them back into the community because the County jail cannot house them! It's not rocket science. Only common sense.
Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Ted, I think the gun buyback program would help because people typically use guns to kill people. With less guns on the streets they will have less ability to gain access to a murder weapon. In addition it sounds like Patsy Lou's money will be used as a bounty for people to report thugs with guns. In other words killers should be more likely to get stopped with a gun before they are able to use it because their freinds and enemies will have a financial incentive to "snitch".

As a more concrete example in the case of the 13 year old getting a gun and then killing someone. If that gun wouild have been turned in then he would not have been able to use it. Perhaps he would have found another gun to use but then again maybe not and that 26 year old might not be another statistic.

I'm also confused by your statement. You say "Call me silly, but how will this help?" and then "While yes, it is a good thing to get guns off the streets." Which do you believe?

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:07 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The city has been involved with the gun buy back programs in the past. Typically the only people who sell guns during the buy back are tax paying citizens who don't feel its necessary to keep a gun around the house. You get old people who have had a gun in their closet for years selling an antique or something similar. Newsflash.....if a criminal wants to get a gun to commit crimes they are going to get one. Thinking that the gun buy back will put a serious dent in violent crime is short sighted. The only real solution to the spiraling crime rate in Flint is to put more officers on the streets, open the city jail, and get more detectives to investigate the overwhelming number of open complaints the city currently has. Until this city gets a handle on crime we will continue to lose residents and businesses. People will not stay in the city or move into the city without the perception of safety. Quality of life is everyones number one priority and there is none here currently.
Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 am 

What will be needed is a night court and continued weekend arrraingment by the District Court Judges and a similar access to a Judge or referee for the juveniles.

The system can bend to meet this need. The Judges have to get behind this.

Terry Bankert
02/17/07

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Steve Myers
Site Admin

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous schreef:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So hold the 3 days and let the go! It is more that the city does now.

AGREED ON BOTH !! Yet did you see..one time, one mistake, one inmate too many on the third day- means 100 released! 100 fewer beds! Can we count on communication between the city and the county to cover this possibility?

I believe we have a full time officer at the county jail that contacts judges for approval for early release of lesser offenders...daily. This officer would likely need to monitor the city also for those higher offenders that can not be released after 3 days.

We need a mental health holding facility for those on psych drugs that need lock down. This would open up 100 ?beds in county. State Rep.Ted Hammon is working on a bill to force ins. co. to cover psych. drugs. Many go off drugs get in trouble...get drugs in jail and a 30 day supply when released when drugs run out... get in trouble again. Revolving door.

We need a bigger county jail..
it was built to small and full on day 1.

This is a multi- faceted issue and needs many solutions.

Yes, many held for a short time in the city will pay up to get out of jail. Will finally feel consequences can be had for crime in Flint.

The county commissioners, judges, prosecuters and FPD all need to come to the table to work out a plan. FIRST!
Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:14 pm 
The Mole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

Statements like this are just what the Mayor love to hear.

The fact that he's using money from his wife's business for a city project is a conflict of interest. He makes himself look like the hero and gets you to support HIS business in the meantime.

"Look, I'm doing a good thing for the city!! Buy a car from me"

Moron
Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:50 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets be honest here, the less guns on the street the safer we are.
I applaud this effort, and hope more people donate to buy even more
illegal guns. Its a proven statistic that most guns in violent crimes are illegal or stolen.

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Ted, I think the gun buyback program would help because people typically use guns to kill people. With less guns on the streets they will have less ability to gain access to a murder weapon. In addition it sounds like Patsy Lou's money will be used as a bounty for people to report thugs with guns. In other words killers should be more likely to get stopped with a gun before they are able to use it because their freinds and enemies will have a financial incentive to "snitch".

As a more concrete example in the case of the 13 year old getting a gun and then killing someone. If that gun wouild have been turned in then he would not have been able to use it. Perhaps he would have found another gun to use but then again maybe not and that 26 year old might not be another statistic.

I'm also confused by your statement. You say "Call me silly, but how will this help?" and then "While yes, it is a good thing to get guns off the streets." Which do you believe?

Amen Adam!!

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:24 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I totally agree with the illegal gun buy back, although my fiance was wondering if the city was going to sell some of the guns back to LEGAL gun owners. He's like that.

In a cynical moment, I did consider the fact that some illegal gun carriers might sell back their guns in order to get money for drugs... but it's all about the lesser of two evils.

I just had a send error... i hope this doesn't post twice.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:01 pm 
Jessica

Right On Ryan and Tegan!!!! I agree with you both, hope things get better in F town.
Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:02 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: