FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Supply Side economics

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=19347

"Before Giuliani's January 1, 1994 inauguration, New York's economy was on a stretcher. Amid soaring unemployment, 235 jobs vanished daily. Financier Felix Rohatyn complained: "Virtually all human activities are taxed to the hilt." Punitive taxes helped fuel a $2.3 billion deficit.

"America's Mayor" cut or killed 23 levies, saving taxpayers $9.8 billion. Giuliani pared Gotham's top income-tax rate by 20.6%. Washington, D.C.'s CFO reported that between 1993 and 2001, local taxes on a family of four New Yorkers earning $50,000 fell 23.7%.

Giuliani cut the commercial-rent tax, curbed sales taxes, and curtailed the marriage penalty on taxpaying couples. Giuliani proudly shaved Gotham's hotel tax from 6% to 5 in 1994. Consequently, that tax's revenues soared from $135 million in Fiscal Year 1995 to $239 million in FY 2001.

Giuliani defends his supply-side instincts with bracing candor. Asked after September 11 if he would hike taxes, Giuliani called that "a dumb, stupid, idiotic, and moronic thing to do."

Giuliani's expenditure growth averaged 2.9% annually, while local inflation between January 1994 and December 2001 averaged 3.6%. His FY 1995 budget decreased outlays by 1.6%, while his post-9/11 FY 2002 plan lowered appropriations by 2.6%.

Giuliani repeatedly privatized municipal assets. Giuliani sold WNYC radio for $20 million, WNYC-TV for $207 million, and Gotham’s share of the U.N. Plaza Hotel for $85 million. Divesting the New York Coliseum excised an eyesore from Columbus Circle and added $345 million to city coffers. Giuliani also let the private Central Park Conservancy manage Manhattan's fabled urban forest.

These eight years of tax reduction and fiscal responsibility helped hammer unemployment from 10.4 percent in 1993 to 5.7 percent in 2001. Simultaneously, personal income advanced 53 percent."

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:53 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Rudy for Mayor of FLINT?

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Rudy for Mayor of FLINT?

No but I think we should consider using some of the strategies that seem to have worked in NYC. The other option I see is we can continue having more community meetings to talk about our problems and come up with strategies we don't implement and more funerals and more unemployment.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:38 pm 
TwLloyd
F L I N T O I D

From what I understand Rudy did for NYC, Flint should absolutely implement many if not all the stragegies Rudy used to clean up NYC. I understand each is its own unique city, with its own unique problems, but if Flint adopted the No Window Left Open policy, or whatever its called, crime statistics would drop rapidly as they did in NYC. Like him or not, Democrat or Republican, you have to admit, Rudy and his staff made NYC a much safer city than it was when he took office.

Granted there are a lot of logistics to get such a program going, like opening the City Jail, etc. and it would take a little bit of time before it paid for itself, but every success takes some work and money before it becomes a success.

Rudy made it through the mine field, why won't Flint follow his footsteps???
Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:43 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Rudy for Mayor of FLINT?

No but I think we should consider using some of the strategies that seem to have worked in NYC. The other option I see is we can continue having more community meetings to talk about our problems and come up with strategies we don't implement and more funerals and more unemployment.

LETS DO IT

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: