FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Anthony: Charges dropped, now what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anthony: Charges dropped, now what?
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Saturday, February 10, 2007
By Bob Wheaton and Paul Janczewsk
Journal Staff Writers
FLINT - With criminal charges against Julius B. Anthony dropped Friday, some people questioned whether he was treated fairly after revelations he had been convicted of a sex offense.

One Flint Board of Education member blasted local law enforcement officials for bringing Anthony into court in belly chains last month, and the former Flint school administrator's attorney said Anthony's reputation was unfairly damaged.

A Georgia court set aside Anthony's conviction last month. A Fulton County Superior Court order signed by Judge John J. Goger said Anthony was not in court when his attorney entered a guilty plea that led to the conviction, and Anthony never signed the plea document.

Leyton said he had no way of knowing the Georgia conviction was defective when he brought the local charges.

"Mr. Anthony did not attempt to clear his record in Georgia until after I filed the charges here," said Leyton.
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1171111814314820.xml&coll=5

Excuse me, where in the paragraph does it read Julius B is Not guilty of a specific crime or offense?? It doesn't, it was sloppy legal work that got him off.
Would anyone in the right mind want this guy around their kids?? I know I wouldn't.

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Yeah, but what do you want to bet that the Flint Board of Education will end up giving him a "severance" package because he was sooooo mistreated? (That is, assuming that they're really not crazy enough to hire him back!)
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:57 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Prosecutor Leyton didn't have much choice about dropping the charges under the circumstances, but I absolutely do not agree Anthony's repuation was unfairly damaged as his current attorney suggests. Look back at the previous Flint Journal account of Georgia police reports stating he fondled a 3-year-old boy in 1996. How could his attorney have entered a plea to a lesser charge in January 2000 without his agreeing to it? He was given a suspended sentence of 12 months probation and sexual counseling. I think the right thing to do is for Georgia officials to correct whatever was handled wrongly and recharge him for the offense. The child would be 13 or 14 now; think about how that may have affected him for life! It's wrong to let a perpetrator go free!

Where did Anthony and Milton meet? Milton said he met him in late 2000, that they were "partners." Milton was appointed middle school principal August 2003 in New York, and Anthony was a consultant there. Milton had a place in Fallsburg, N.Y. but his family didn't join him there. Why?

Milton's first day as Flint School Superintendent was 10/20/2005 and Anthony was hired in December 2005 as his consultant. They both fudged their credentials, and Milton failed to provide his fingerprints until July 2006! Why?
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:26 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Yeah, but what do you want to bet that the Flint Board of Education will end up giving him a "severance" package because he was sooooo mistreated?
If that is even considered, the telephone line and every other form of communication to every school board member should be hot with protest!
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:28 pm 
Dortpimp
F L I N T O I D

The thing I don't understand is how Anthony thinks the whole thing is just retaliation against Dr. Milton???? Shouldn't Anthony be more upset with his previous attorney that supposedly pled him guilty to the charges without his consent?

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:14 pm 
Dortpimp
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
They both fudged their credentials, and Milton failed to provide his fingerprints until July 2006! Why?

cause we let them get away with it! Like good ol' Bob Leonard said on his show a few weeks back, that kind of nonsense would never be tolerated in Grand Blanc, Fenton, Davison or any other good school district.

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:21 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dortpimp schreef:
Shouldn't Anthony be more upset with his previous attorney that supposedly pled him guilty to the charges without his consent?
There's something very odd about the Georgia incident, and I'd like to read the official transcript of court proceedings for Anthony's date of plea/sentence. There must have been something pre-arranged, perhaps because he was already out of state (like in New York with Milton?), or it seems a bench warrant would have been issued for his failure to appear. Try missing a plea/sentencing date here in Genesee County and see how the judge responds!
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:59 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dortpimp schreef:
quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Milton failed to provide his fingerprints until July 2006! Why?
cause we let them get away with it!
Or maybe he was waiting for the for the New York investigation to be completed to be sure he wasn't going to be charged with anything. "Milton received $12,000 for moving expenses but could find only a contract that said he would receive $4,000. That contract also stipulated that his wife and/or child move to the Fallsburg district, but they did not. Milton's lawyer, H. Todd Bullard of Rochester, N.Y., said he has tried to resolve the question about pending personal expenses with the Fallsburg district's lawyer. Another concern cited in the audit findings was thousands of dollars in extra payments to Gateway Learning Inc., for which auditors couldn't find a contract. Gateway is run by Julius B. Anthony, now a consultant to Milton in Flint and previously a consultant in Fallsburg." Source: Flint Journal, May 5, 2006.
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:11 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Hmm, Let's see. The charges stemmed from a complaint from his former girlfriend.

Understanding that a child molester or sex offender doesn't just do this once. Why is there only this one instance that didn’t' result in a conviction?

I said from the beginning we need to get the whole story!

Obviously no one on here has ever had a relationship where you find out later that lady your dating is NUTS! Or the woman you married is NUTS!

It is so easy in our legal system to make an accusation against someone where there is NO EVIDENCE that it happened. Be arrested, then run out of money defending yourself because the system is designed to defend the guilty and not the innocent!! Especially in the south! Where your guilty until proven innocent.

I agree that when something like this was brought to the attention of the school board they needed to take action. But what action! We now see what happened and will probably never get the whole story. Bottom line is that He didn't have a conviction (only an accusation) He was charged here in Flint with a crime that he never committed (not registering as a sex offender). He's been demonized, ostracized and fired. Good Job Flint! He has never been proven guilty of anything so far except dating a nutty woman! That's about the only thing that we can actually get out of this. That and that the school board should have been doing back ground checks on all potential employee's so that these issues can be worked out before some is hired.

Look at what we've done with our Mayor? My understanding is that we hired a guy that was accused of many different charges. But only convicted of a few. But we hired him!
Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ted, while I can understand your comment about a nutty significant other, I'd like to know your source for saying the charge was made by a "former girlfriend." All that I've read doesn't say anything about a former girlfriend.

"According to a police report in the case, Anthony was accused of fondling the boy, who attended a preschool or day care program at a facility where Anthony worked. The boy was 3 years, 8 months old at the time, according to the report. The child's mother made the police complaint on April 15, 1996, the district attorney's office said." Source: The Flint Journal, Sat., Sept. 30, 2006.

He did have a conviction, and it was only recently set aside because his signature came into question. Local authorities here acted on that original conviction, then charges here were dismissed after the Georgia case was dismissed.

That was in Fulton Co., Georgia. He was also in Missouri in the 1990s. Did he get out of Dodge to avoid prosecution? It is incomprehensible that legal counsel would sign a reduced plea agreement on his behalf nearly four years after the fact, without it being with his consent and direction. There must have been evidence to sustain the charge or it wouldn't have been pursued in the first place.

I just hope this guy is never permitted to work around children again.
Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:56 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

How is it that you're charged with child molestation, never go to trial, and then think, what, that it took care of itself? While I agree he wasn't convicted, it makes no sense at all that he didn't know about the plea bargain, didn't agree to it, and never again wondered about the outcome? It's an absolute shame that he was charged, never went to trial and then had his record cleared due to a technicality. I would imagine that the statute of limitations has probably run out, so we'll never know the truth.
Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:10 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I seem to remember that the mother was his girlfriend. I don't remember off hand where or when I read it.

There is a lot about this that we don't know! Plan and simple. I do agree, how do you go four years with a conviction?? I just felt that everyone over reacted without getting all the facts. And Had the School board done a background check, checked his references before he was hired. Had I been on the board, based on the conviction on record. I would have done, probably the same thing you would have. Not hired him! Based on the background check! Which was never done. But, because those in charge didn't do their job correctly and thoroughly! The school and the school system suffered because it. They created a CAN OF WORMS that makes everybody involved look like idiots! And possibly made the school liable for wrongful discharge! LOL Because once it was discovered, it should have been handled quietly until a investigation could have been conducted and results published.

BTW, did we ever get his side of the story?
Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dortpimp
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

BTW, did we ever get his side of the story?

he had his chance but I guess making a quick getaway was more important that day. I'd bet anything that the media broke their necks trying to give this guy his equal time.

The guy has a lot of nerve. The prosecutor did his job and tried to enforce state law in order to protect our children from a guy who at the time was a convicted child molester. He showed his true character when he blamed a vendetta against Milton for his legal problems in Genesee County.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:13 am 
KW
F L I N T O I D

This may sound rude, but have any of you ever spoken to Anthony? I really don't think a girlfriend was part of his life. He is incredibly effeminate.
Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:26 pm 

quote:
KW schreef:
This may sound rude, but have any of you ever spoken to Anthony? I really don't think a girlfriend was part of his life. He is incredibly effeminate.
quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Where did Anthony and Milton meet? Milton said he met him in late 2000, that they were "partners." Milton was appointed middle school principal August 2003 in New York, and Anthony was a consultant there. Milton had a place in Fallsburg, N.Y. but his family didn't join him there. Why?

Milton's first day as Flint School Superintendent was 10/20/2005 and Anthony was hired in December 2005 as his consultant.
Points to ponder....
Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:15 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: