FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Global Warming.. is it man made?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
There have been at least four major ice ages in the Earth's past. The earliest hypothesized ice age is believed to have occurred around 2.7 to 2.3 billion years ago during the early Proterozoic Eon.

The earliest well-documented ice age, and probably the most severe of the last 1 billion years, occurred from 800 to 600 million years ago (the Cryogenian period) and may have produced a Snowball Earth in which permanent sea ice extended to or very near the equator. It has been suggested that the end of this ice age was responsible for the subsequent Cambrian Explosion, though this theory is recent and controversial.

A minor ice age occurred from 460 to 430 million years ago, during the Late Ordovician Period. There were extensive polar ice caps at intervals from 350 to 260 million years ago, during the Carboniferous and early Permian Periods, associated with the Karoo Ice Age.

Some people believe that Man's influence is speeding up the process. Since the Based on Evolutionary theory has had 4 ice ages. Which means the earth has NATURALLY heated up and cooled off.

It does make sense to develop cleaner fuels and energy. It does make sense to demand that chemicals and hazardous waste is disposed of safely and not just released into the environment. I would even be willing to go out on a limb and (based on the stats of this area) that the factory's have had an negative impact on the health of people living here in Flint. So from the impact of pollutants on the health and quality of living in our environment (here in Flint) and we should be concerned! However, IS THE SKY FALLING!! I think not. Just as with religion. There are whacked out zealots there and in the environmental movement. This issue is serous. And it does require action. However, where is the line drawn? What can we do on a personal level.

On a personal level. I prefer to use biodegradable soaps and detergents when I can. When it comes to water quality it's the detergents that have been identified as the major contributor to pollutants in the rivers. If we had in the City a recycling program that we could set our trash out in containers I'd be all for that.

We should be doing more of the simple things as a community.
Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Along these same lines:

If the earth is heating up as a result of global warming, don't make the mistake of thinking we are hurting Mother Earth. Mother Earth would love nothing more than to rid the planet of her biggest parasite (humans). She and life will survive long after we're gone (most likely from destroying ourselves)

We may be hurting OUR chances of survival.......but we certainly aren't hurting the earth. It is the ultimate form of arrogance to think that WE are the be-all-end-all of life on earth. Unfortunately too many religious idiots assume that humans are the center of the universe. We're just a blip in time and space people!
Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: