FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Internet Creates Local Political Movements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski

Well, My thinking here is that if we are always posting to a public forum. Esp. one such as this. Someone could post here using MY Name or even Your name and we would not beable to delete erroneuos posts. As you see you can post using Plato or really anything if you want to. But we cannot delete anything. This was the only real control I'm concerned with. plus with having each person involved registered and have log in rights. We cut out the risk of Spamming a forum.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:30 am 
Ted Jankowski

Interesting reading. http://www.gothamgazette.com/article/crime/20050823/4/1540
These are the people we really need to talk to.
which BTW the TV show "The District" was based on.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:37 am 
?

I agree that the non secure posting to this site as a guest is a problem. That's why I will not quit my bog and I do multiple post sites, blog here and tv 12. Additionally with my lic requirements [atty] I do not want nor can I afford to be responsible for other peoples work. You only get one reputation. I will make my own mistakes.

Why not ask UofM , Baker, Kettering and Mott political science , or the site you mentioned, if they would be interested in exploring this idea.

Chow for now
Terry Bankert
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:47 am 
Adam Ford

I guess I'll try and bring things up at the next council meeting. The first thing I will probably bring up is the asenine 5 minute rule. It's easy to criticize in 5 minutes but I feel real solutions sometimes take longer than 5 minutes to present. Do you guys watch channel 17 council broadcasts?

Adam Ford
http://mysearchisover.com
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:24 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Ok, so who are the experts we would ask. Is William Bratton still around? he would possibly be someone to at least have come speak to our community leaders. I would want people that don't just study this is a classroom. I would want people that have actually effected change. Jack Maple has already passed away. Or even Police chief's from departments that already have low crime rates and are in big cities. These are the types of experts I would want to hear from. I was reading about a guy who is a PHD professor that was running down William Bratton's book Broken Windows Which i find a bit appalling since, William actually lowered crime in New York and wrote his book detailing how he did it. So I guess the question is Who decides who is to be invited?
well like you said we need to first get a group together, then I believe gain creditability, then hold symposium or such.
Now as far as asking MCC or Baker or UofM. You know the City council and the Mayor already have created a "task force" to talk about crime. I haven't heard much about that since it was formed. Maybe I'll give my Councilperson a call and see if she knows what their current status is. .... Maybe call the city clerk she may know also.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:20 pm 
Ted Jankowski

Adam, Have you contacted your councilman to see if you can get some extra time. I would try that route first before presenting your idea.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:21 pm 
Ted Jankowski

quote:
I suggest we ask as many people from as many backgrounds as we can. We will have more credibility with an open transparent agenda.[
I would like to gather a group with a board and it be an actual organization. with Bylaws, and follow rules of order.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:27 pm 
Ted J

One more interesting link. http://www.rockinst.org/publications/federalism/QuickerBetterCheaperChapter16.pdf
very enlightening.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:33 pm 
Ted J

One more interesting link. http://www.rockinst.org/publications/federalism/QuickerBetterCheaperChapter16.pdf
very enlightening.
Ted J

very enlightening.
Ted J

very enlightening.
Josh Freeman

Actually, I've been talking with some folks about setting a group up to deal with some issues in City government.... We need, as a community, to do a better job of being engaged in the process... if we aren't engaged, if we simply are listening to what people say rather than looking at what they do we are doomed.... I have been talking with a small group of folks about circulating petitions for a Charter Commission... there are definitely some things that need to be addressed in the Charter that would help to solve some issues that exist.... and perhaps it would start a discussion in the community.... we need find a way get the masses involved in what is happening around them.... to demand results rather and brown paint and and inch of pavement....
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:06 pm 

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
Actually, I've been talking with some folks about setting a group up to deal with some issues in City government.... We need, as a community, to do a better job of being engaged in the process... if we aren't engaged, if we simply are listening to what people say rather than looking at what they do we are doomed.... I have been talking with a small group of folks about circulating petitions for a Charter Commission... there are definitely some things that need to be addressed in the Charter that would help to solve some issues that exist.... and perhaps it would start a discussion in the community.... we need find a way get the masses involved in what is happening around them.... to demand results rather and brown paint and and inch of pavement....

Grass roots activism is duplicative and duplicative around then edges. Different sets of actors have diffferent agendas and preferences of involvement.

What I see is opportunity to educate and mentor. My objective would be to raise the level of public policy discussion in Flint. Why not start here and now. AS of 12/27/05 at 4:30 pm Adams post on Flinbt Talk has generated 27 replies AND 164 VIEWS.

Our shared agenda to me seems to be:
1.get the community involved in issue discussion in the City of Flint.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:46 pm 
Adam Ford

Another person suggested I try and get a special meeting with the Flint City council but I don't feel that is fair. I think every citizen should have the time they need to speak at the city council meetings. When you think about how much time the city council spends listening to people and how much they get paid I think they can afford to spend more time listening to people at the meetings. There are 4 meetings per month times 12 months = 48 meetings per year divided by a $30,000 salary and that is $625 per meeting or more than $100 per hour. I think they can spend more time listening to people. I realize council members do a lot more than just go to the meetings and listen to the public but that is their main function. Plus if I'm going to talk about things about the Mott Foundation blocking jobs and businesses from moving downtown I want the city of Flint to hear about it. I also don't like being stonewalled when I go to the meetings. I realize how Roberts rules of order are supposed to go but when I go to a meeting and raise an issue I don't want to feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. This council does seem much better than the last one though. I think Buchanan is a very good choice for president. I think he would do well if he decided to run for mayor.
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:04 pm 

Grass roots activism is duplicative and duplicative around then edges. Different sets of actors have diffferent agendas and preferences of involvement.

What I see is opportunity to educate and mentor. My objective would be to raise the level of public policy discussion in Flint. Why not start here and now. AS of 12/27/05 at 4:30 pm Adams post on Flinbt Talk has generated 27 replies AND 164 VIEWS.

Our shared agenda to me seems to be:
1.get the community involved in issue discussion in the City of Flint.[/quote]

But how do you get the community involved in a larger way than the 164 views that this post has generated?

How do you get the community to look past what people are saying and demand accountability from community leaders?

As for the timing issue... I need to spend some time at home with the youngins and my wife before I start to take on another "cause"...
Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:13 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: