FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Bar owner suing 3 City Council members & Alex Harris

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bar owner Craig Hatch is suing three Flint City Council members and Alex Harris (CFAG founder) for slander.

Council members Sheldon Neeley, Jackie Poplar and Carolyn Sims all were named in the lawsuit filed in Circuit Court Jan. 31 because of comments they allegedly made before voting down a resolution in December that would have allowed Hatch to operate the bar at the city-owned Swartz Creek Golf Course.

The main point of contention in the lawsuit is over alleged connections made to Hatch's successful bid to operate the facility and his company's work for Flint first lady Patsy Lou Williamson's failed Senate bid.

Hatch, owner of "Down the Hatch" pubs and other local businesses, claims their comments hurt his business and his reputation. He is asking for more than $25,000 in damages from each of the defendants.

Hatch did not get the contract because the council vote was a tie with Neeley, Poplar and Sims all voting no as well as Councilman Jim Ananich.

Ananich is not named in the suit. He did not make comments concerning Hatch during the meeting.

"I won't be intimidated by any type of nuisance lawsuits to intimidate me to vote in support of something," Neeley said in response to the lawsuit.

Harris said he is considering a countersuit because he considers Hatch's lawsuit frivolous.

- Marjory Raymer

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/117069244799330.xml&coll=5

Last edited by Steve Myers on Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The mayor is probably financing this lawsuit. Another chance to take a shot at the City Council and a community member who knows the mayor is useless. Hatch is a Don crony. The way Don forced Donahue out at the golf course was dispicable. Just wanted to get his buddy Hatch in there. Another political favor.
Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

OK I don't get it?

I was at the meeting that these people were accused of slander. I don't remember hearing anything slanderous?

Ms. Poplar just stated that with all the controversy around Mr. Hatch dealing with the Mayor's Wife's Campaign that she didn't feel comfortable voting for the approval based on her recent dealing with the accusation of her "Selling her Vote"! She didn't want to give any appearance of impropriety.

Mr. Kinciad even stated, "I'm sure Mr. Hatch is a fine gentleman" and he went on to say how the Mayor ran Mr. Donahue out of the Golf Course (Tavern on the green) and how it was inappropriately handled. I believe he also mentioned something about the Fact that Mr. Hatch had been a Pasty Lou Campaign Supporter and his street sweepers drove around Flint with Patsy Lou for Senate Signs on them. And that the appearance of impropriety wouldn't allow him to vote for it. (I'm paraphrasing they way I understood him).

I really remember anything significant about Ms. Simms or Neely's comments. But I don't remember them saying anything slanderous about Mr. Hatch.

WATCH THE MAYOR EVERYONE! He's getting ready to pull another fast one. You must first create a controversy to take captivate the people and give them something to keep their attention. Then he will attempt to slide something by!

Bet's anyone?

ANYWAY, I would think that Mr. Hatch if he was going to sue anyone. It should the Mayor. Since it’s his association with the Mayor that has created the controversy. If it wasn’t so evident that the Mayor does everything in city hall that is in his own best interest politically and not the citizens of Flint. And had they not go through and keep re-bidding the contract until Mr. Hatch actually had the best bid. Then Maybe the appearance of impropriety wouldn’t be seemingly real.
Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

I did not attend the city council meeting or watch it on channel 17, but did read the article in the Journal.

Even though the term "slander" was used in the article (and perhaps by Mr. Hatch), it appears that the gist of any lawsuit would be an alleged "defamation of character." People often lump the two terms together, or consider them interchangable.

I'm referring to the claim (in the article) about an apparent loss of business, etc., felt by Mr. Hatch.

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion. But, I thought I might add a "penny's worth."

For instance... slander is a false spoken statement. But, someone could, in fact, make a true statement and still defame someone's character.

But, please, be certain that you understand that I am not saying anyone said or did anything to anyone.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Mr. Kinciad even stated, "I'm sure Mr. Hatch is a fine gentleman" and he went on to say how the Mayor ran Mr. Donahue out of the Golf Course (Tavern on the green) and how it was inappropriately handled. I believe he also mentioned something about the Fact that Mr. Hatch had been a Pasty Lou Campaign Supporter and his street sweepers drove around Flint with Patsy Lou for Senate Signs on them. And that the appearance of impropriety wouldn't allow him to vote for it. (I'm paraphrasing they way I understood him).

Kincaid voted for the contract... Poplar, Sims, Neeley and Ananich voted against it.
Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Josh are you sure? I thought he voted against it. However, I do remember a vote that surprised me but I don't remember what it was over. I guess that could have been it.

How could I look it up?
Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

"Can't we all just get along here?"

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: