FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Memo from Milton (FCS)

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic

Flint Community Schools

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT

Walter Milton Jr., Ed.D.

wmilton@flintschools.org

INTERNAL OFFICE COMMUNICATION

January 31, 2007

To: All Employees – Flint Community Schools

Carl Johnson, Interim Chief Financial Officer

Re: Division A Spending Freeze

The final enrollment count is in for the district and the result was an unanticipated decrease in enrollment of approximately 600 more students than budgeted. The enrollment decrease has resulted in a loss of state aid totaling approximately $9 million. To date, the district is under budget in expenditures by approximately $4 million resulting in a net current year deficit of approximately $5 million.

The State of Michigan Director of Senate Fiscal Agency reported on January 18, 2007 that the state’s budget shortfall in the State Aid Fund for the 2006/2007 fiscal year is approximately $377 million or $224 per pupil. If this shortfall continues, which everyone believes it will, the result will be an additional loss in state aid revenue of approximately $4 million in the next few months, bringing the total current year shortfall to approximately $8 million.

As a result of the above items, a freeze is placed on all discretionary spending from Division A, K-12 funds including the following:

• Overtime

• Out-of-state travel

• Equipment

• Supplies (including teacher, office and instructional)

• Food

• Consultants

• Filling vacant positions; exceptions will be approved by the Superintendent

The freeze is effective immediately. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Carl Johnson in the Business Office at (810) 760-1118 or Superintendent Walter Milton, Jr., at (810) 760-1249.
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Is this confidential? If so although interesting it should probably be deleted. I think Steve should check with the superintendent's office. Because it says internal communication I think the poster may have broken confidentiality rules.

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:54 pm 

ADAM, don't you dare delete it!

We knew the freeze was coming.. they knew after the first 4th friday count we were way short of students. Still MILTON kept hiring exempt admin not in the budget. Palm pilots for teachers when students did not have pencils!!! Then cost for PD to learn how to use them. Kidney tables for all buildings that were not needed ETC.

Maintenance dept. and janitors at each building were told by dept. heads months ago to stock up on supplies like ...toilet paper.

We must encourage teachers to give us "the community" information on what is truly going on. For EX: Principal at Pierce got the shit beat out of her by a student and not a word in the paper. Many, many items teachers, staff keep quiet about.

This can be an anonymous outlet to share information...Greatly needed!
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:27 pm 
Wright N. Quiry

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Is this confidential? If so although interesting it should probably be deleted. I think Steve should check with the superintendent's office. Because it says internal communication I think the poster may have broken confidentiality rules.

Adam asks, "Is this confidential?"

The first question should have been, "Is this actual information from an actual school memo."

The second question should have been, "If actual, was anything added to the text, or was anything removed?"

Now, as to confidentiality, I do not beleive this website has any confidentiality rules.

Further, no visitor to this site, registered or otherwise, has any right to determine if another individual has the right to post an item deemed confidential. The administrator should, of course, follow the site's guidelines and adhere to its content standards.

The poster is the sole determiner if something is posted. Any and all organisations are responsible for policing themselves and any of their members or employees.

Lastly, Steve should only check with the office if Steve wants to, for what ever reason he wants. Every reader should question everything posted to this site. They should look into the things they want to look into to varify accuracy, or to get more information, or to have a voice, or be a body that gets involved. This includes postings that have a link to another site. Don't take for granted that the link is authentic, or, even if it is, that its information is accurate.

Think people, think. And show a little maturity. And remember that some things,like if a person may have broken some rule of a group he belongs to, are just none of our business.

I will not post again with this name beginning at 4 p.m. today.

Sorry about the annonimm.... anonimit.....
Sorry about keeping my I. D. private.
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:12 pm 

We must encourage teachers to give us "the community" information on what is truly going on. For EX: Principal at Pierce got the shit beat out of her by a student and not a word in the paper. Many, many items teachers, staff keep quiet about.

It wasn't a student who beat the shit out of Kathy Chapman. It was a grown black man who rammed her car and she pulled into the Pierce parking lot to exchange information, then he beat the SHIT out of her and proceeded to steal her purse! I work with her husband, I know the whole story!
Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:29 pm 
KW
F L I N T O I D

I received the Milton's memo both on school email and on a hard copy distributed to all building staff. I do not believe that this is confidential material. Budgeting is public information.

The principal at Pierce was not assaulted by a student. It was a grown man.

However, the way that violence is overlooked in the district is outrageous. It is not the lack of money, in my opinion, that has the district in a mess. It is administrators reluctance to eject violent and disruptive students from the classroom.

These students take the lion's share of the teacher's time and energy. They make it nearly impossible to deliver any instruction better than "drill and kill."

If the administration would take a stand about discipline, and mean it, teachers and students could finally get down to the business of learning. I am so tired of sacrificing the education of good kids to these out-of-control feral types. We are teachers. We not social workers and we are not prison guards. Adminstrators need to do their jobs. Teachers would love to get back to their jobs.
Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:44 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: