FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint School Board race 2 dozen candidates

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/11701704749070.xml&coll=5

The Rev. Curtis P. Baker
Herbert Cleaves (incumbent)
Michael D. Cross
Jennifer Dillard
Tracey Fountain (incumbent)
Ira Gilbert
David Halboth, who said Monday he has decided not to run
Alex Harris
Andrew David Hollins Jr.
Erycka K. Hunter
Kevin Johnson
Anissa Jones
Erica Leverette (incumbent)
Alisha Lewis
Antoinette Lockett
Corwin Matthews
Aletha Ann Metcalfe
Carrie Nelson
Jawun Nelson
Daniel Pope
Denise L. Richards
Stephanie Robb-Martin (incumbent)
Connie Smith
Jeffrey E. Ursery

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:41 pm 

SWEET!!!!!!!!! Is that the HOT Denise Richards? Charley Sheen's ex?

Damn! things are lookin UP! for Flint!
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:01 pm 

Dan Pope!! Husband of one of the greatest Flint Teachers ever.

Yes, Obe Wan there is a good candidate!!

He also has EXTENSIVE knowledge of the district---past and present.

TYJ-TYL
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:17 am 

Dan Pope will not be submitting petitions.

Is there another?

Anyone with letters of support for a Flint School Board candidate?
Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:31 am 
Barb

Where is Terry Bankert? RAPUZAL? RYAN EASHOO?
KATHY ELLWOOD??

These are 4 people I would VOTE FOR!
Post Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:36 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

what's a "RAPUZAL"?

Terry wouldn't run. he'd rather lead protests against the establishment than be the establishment. Could you see him out walking the picket line with a banner protesting himself? LOL.
Kafkaesque for sure.

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:14 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Terry did run for city council. I think Rapunzel would be the best candidate but for right now I'm leaning towards Alex Harris. Is anyone familiar with Tracey Fountain? Is she a good board memebr? I like Herb Cleaves but I think the school board should know how to use a computer and the internet. I don't think we should have outdated people on our school board.

Although Alex Harris could be considered divisive and/or controversial I think he would be a good candidate because he regularly attends a lot of meetings in Flint particularly the city council meeting and he seems to be a good listener. I'm pretty sure ALex also knows how to use the internet and email unlike Cleaves. I think it's good for people like the mayor, council and board members to be out in the community so they can get input from the community. In addition Alex has public speaking ability and some political experience.

The only downside I see with Alex Harris is people like Rapunzel and Ellwood may want to have some talks with him to bring him up to speed if he is eleceted but I'm sure he will gladly accept advice.

Post Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:33 am 

"The only downside I see with Alex Harris is people like Rapunzel and Ellwood may want to have some talks with him to bring him up to speed if he is eleceted but I'm sure he will gladly accept advice."

Trying to decipher your meaning??

Alex was involved years ago in school issues and knows much about funding but may need to be brought up on current issues. (was that your meaning?)

OMG- could you imagine the length of a school board meeting if both Harris and Cleaves were allowed the floor?

I will eat my hat if Cleaves is re-elected. Harris's signature statement... the last person here please turn the lights off...does not bode well for a positive outlook.

RAP and Ellwood are interacting with positive programs in the schools and will continue to focus on children. NOT POLITICS.

If anyone wanted a SEAT on the school board, now would be the time to run.

If anyone wants to make a difference in the lives of Flint's children, volunteer in the schools. Be a mentor, coordinate a grant program etc.

Make a difference on ground level.
Top level will be chaos for a number of years and then swept clean.
Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Does anyone have the breakdowns on the matchups?

Can I vote even vote for AC, Cleaves, Harris and Cross?

I really hope Rapunzel runs next time.

I was mainly trying to get people to vote for Alex Harris in the previous comment. I didn't know he was on the same level as people like Cathy Ellwood and Rapunzel as far as knowledge about Flint schools.

I think people need to realize the importance of politics. We need the best people to be in political positions. You could have 1000 Ellwoods and Rapunzels doing their thing but a handful of people on the board can negate the positive effects of all their hardwork. Cleaves is a good example of this but I think we do need to have one or two board members that are concerned with the racial disparities in Flint. They seem pretty obvious to me.

I really disagree with the previous guest poster. Giving kids computers wouldn't make a positive difference in their lives? Sending kids to crappy schools with bad teachers wouldn't make a negative impact in their lives? What good is mentoring if your mentoring a crappy curriculum? I do agree with the mentoring program though. There's one or two people I will try and mentor but it won't deal with stuff taught in the Flint schools.

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:32 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint 4/10/07
From my email

--
For the most convenient parking, enter the MCC campus from Longway Blvd.

Mott Community College Regional Technology Center Auditorium

The event is free and open to the public.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

6: 30 -9 p.m.

Flint Area Public Affairs Debates

Flint Area League of Women Voters

& Delta Sigma Theta Sorority- Flint Alumni

Present

Flint Board of Education Candidates Forum

Moderator: Bisi Onile-Ere, WJRT TV News reporter

Candidates for the 1 and 2 year terms will answer prepared questions between 6:30 and 7:35.

Candidates for 4 year terms will answer prepared questions between 7:45 and 9:00.

Refreshments and informal conversation with candidates will be available 6-6:30 and 9-9:30.

--posted here by Terry Bankert 4/10/07
Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Can we get the event on You Tube or something? I'd also like to know what the matchups are.
Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:34 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Every vote is gonna count in these races, someone may win a race by only a dozen or less votes!

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: