FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: $600,000,000 not coming to Flint
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
TwLloyd
F L I N T O I D

GM built Flint and it's infrastructure, its housing, its highways, its railways, etc. Flint is designed to get proudct out of the plants and employees into the plants. Durant, Dort, Mott and our other grandfathers of Flint did a great job when you look at the overall layout of Flint. Then GM lost focus and effed it up.

The only thing that makes sense that Toyota, or any other automotive organization has not snatched up the Buick City property, is GM refuses to sell it to its competitors. Think about it, if your business was in a backslide, would you sell your fully operational facility in a custom built city to your top competitor? I think GM's GREED and stubborness to liquidate these properties is one of the major contributors why Flint hasn't bounced back.

GM keeps downsizing, why is it holding on to all this vacant real estate? Nostalga? pfft! I dont' think so, GM could care less about Flint.

As much as I hate to see the basic infrastructure go to waste, its time for our local and state government to start pressuring GM to sell all that empty land to a hi-tech industry. Wow, what a great scenario for that anti-iminent domain law we just passed, Flint could have confinscated all that property from GM and sold it off, or hell, GIVEN it away to hi-tech companies. How great would that have been for Genesee County?

Since we're bashing the Journal, let me get my two cents in. We did some advertising a while back, what a joke! We had to beg them to come out, our rep abandoned us at the very beginning of our advertising campaign, needless to say we didn't do any more advertising with them.

I beat our rep about her head with every question I could think of, trying to make her convince us why advertising with the Journal is a good idea. She pretty much talked me out of it, but (stupid us) we ran an ad anyway. I asked: What is the average age of its readers? How has the Journal survived this long with readers that old? When will it finally colapse due to drop in circulation? Why won't it comp its contracted advertisers even a free Sunday issue? and more. In our hour meeting, we spent less than 10 minutes discussing our advertising campaign. She dodged most of the questions, but what she did divulge in her answers is that as the "older" population moves or dies off, the Journal will die off as well. From Boomers on down, we get our news here, the Internet, no print media advertising is effective anymore. The Journal fails to see that and refuses to put their paper online. Mlive.com is a JOKE, ever try to "scan" today's paper? Maybe you can, but I can't seem to figure it out IF its possible.
Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:52 am 

The Flint Journal is online at http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/. You can even get PDF files of front pages. Just below the title for the feature story is a link for "More Stories" where the main news stories are.

On Saturdays someone throws The Flint Journal advertising section at my front door and I'm about ready to call and complain. They also deliver to vacant houses on the street and this is bad policy. It just ends up being litter and advertises vacancy, an invitation for B&E. One of the reasons I stopped home delivery was because the delivery person threw the paper so hard it put dents in my door.
Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:07 am 
TwLloyd
F L I N T O I D

Cool, thanks for the secret link!!! Gee, you'd think mlive would have that tidbit of info ON THEIR FRONT PAGE!!!!

We too get litter thrown in our driveway. When I looked at the distribution area for the Flint Twp News, I realized we were within the mapped area for distribution, I asked our Rep, she said she would make sure we started receiving it. Well, its been almost a year and we have never seen the Flint Twp News, but the delivery guy now flys down our road, screams to a stop, throws the ads in our driveway and speeds off again. Ummmmmm, since my neighbors live within that same mapped area, shouldn't they get it too?
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:39 am 

quote:
TwLloyd schreef:
Cool, thanks for the secret link!!! Gee, you'd think mlive would have that tidbit of info ON THEIR FRONT PAGE!!!!
Top line on mlive says "Choose a Local Edition of Mlive.---, Select One (dropdown arrow), and GO! Choosing Flint takes you to The Flint -------; choose more local news on this page, scroll down toward bottom, select The Flint Township News--then bookmark it. Smile

This is my third try to post the short message above, and each time I've received the message "The word ---- is on our list of spam related words. Please refrain from posting this word." Each of those messages has only listed one single word! I have to ask, where is the list of spam related words for reference so I can refrain from using such words and be able to post my message the first time, without wasting my time!
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:37 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

TwLloyd did you try radio advertising? Steve has done some radio advertising but it didn't work that well. I'm pretty sure people look in the Flint Journal for jobs . There's probably thousands of people a day looking at the lack of job postings in there on a daily basis.

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:09 pm 
TwLloyd
F L I N T O I D

Thanks again for the tips on navigating mlive. It just goes to show, if I am this confused and lost, how many others have given up on mlive? I certainly won't be perusing it on a daily basis.

Adam, we haven't used radio, but I'm considering giving it a try this summer. Problem is, our clientelle is the most difficult to reach, male 18-50. I guess we can try a campaign to go after women and try to bring the numbers more even.

We checked into Comcast and was ready to commit to a $2,000/3 month campaign, but Comcast decided since we were only in business for about 6 months at that time, that we weren't a good credit risk, they wanted all the $ up front. I thought it very odd because Comcast was GIVING AWAY numerous free spots because they didn't have enough paying advertisers to fill all the spots, so they had to randomly run free ads.

I know what you mean about the Journal help wanted, its commission sales, medical and truck driving. My brother-in-law is highly certified and qualified in CAD but with state of the big 3, there are no CAD jobs out there. Currently his unemployment has ran out and he has had to move back home and get a minimum wage job to pay his child support.

We did use the Journal help wanted for a hair stylist a couple of times, the first time, we got one response, the next time, with identical ad, we got about 15 responses (and never hired anyone that responded). Last time, we just hung a Help Wanted sign in the window and filled the chair in a couple of weeks.
Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:53 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Very interesting. I'm really glad to be able to do internet advertising because it seems very effective. There's places online like Craigslist where you can post job listings for free. For my recruiting I'll probably go straight for Baker college students. I had bad luck with my first intern but my new guy is paying off big time. I'd highly recommend businesses recruit at Baker College. I don't want to hire anyone out of the Flint journal but I'd like to get my jobs page http://jobs.mysearchisover.com in there.

I haven't even been seeing medical jobs in the Journal like they used to have.

Post Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:52 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: