FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: $600,000,000 not coming to Flint
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_hi_te/google

"RALEIGH, N.C. - Search engine giant Google Inc. plans to spend $600 million to build a data center in North Carolina, state officials and the company said Friday."

Does anyone know if Flint does anything to try and bring in jobs and economic development? This could have gone on Buick City or even Williamson's annexed land.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:47 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_hi_te/google

"RALEIGH, N.C. - Search engine giant Google Inc. plans to spend $600 million to build a data center in North Carolina, state officials and the company said Friday."

Does anyone know if Flint does anything to try and bring in jobs and economic development? This could have gone on Buick City or even Williamson's annexed land.

Didn't Ann Arbor land what 100 or was it 1,000 Google jobs [the owner, former owner? was a UM alum]....

look they are NOT going to put a hi-tech operation, with wine sipping, smelly cheese eating hi-tech people into a rust-belt, scrap-iron, smoke-stack city!!!!

Those jobs go to hi-tech places heavens where people want to live LIKE ANN ARBOR and many NC cities.

There is nothing here, YET, to offer to companies like those, and if they can't people to work in those locations, they WON'T relocate there.

Sorry, can't go from start-line to hi-tech OZ in one jump;

Its a transformative process. Takes time and a differrent profile of city features, amenities and strengths. We're starting from a heavy-industry, manufacturing profile [roads, infrastructure, utilities etc.]

Hi-tech, service industry totally different.

Go after the Toyota's, the parts plants, the other durable goods manufacturer's first.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:07 pm 

Well said Biggie.

We've got to change the national perception of Flint being a blue-collar, lazy, backward, union town first....................then maybe corporations will consider looking at Flint.

Thanks UAW...........way to f ck up our hometown!
Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:19 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I guarantee if I won that perception would change real quick but more realisticly another way of doing this is by people like me, Steve and some others achieving results. Although Flint online seems like a flop. Obviously this site is having some success and my site although hideous looking seems to be heading in the right direction. I tried to get Flint Schools to go for a more advanced curriculum but money talks and I'm not in a position to push that unless I can push some people like Rapunzel onto the schoolboard.

If we had enough successful internet sites, blogs, etc using Google Adsense as well as some thriving businesses I think we could still at least get a Google sales office opened in Flint. Otherwise there would be a possiblitiy of setting up our own internet advertising network.

Hopefully in a few years this site will be in a position to take on the stupid Flint Journal that won't let me or Steve advertise.

For a city with no plan things could be worse. If we start following our charter we will have a plan. The union didn't stop us from following our charter.

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:42 am 

Looks like Flint has landed a High Tech Company. Did you see this week where a company called ParkingCarma is going to put a call center in the Great Lakes Tech Center. The economic development group at the Chamber of Commerce and the Mott foundation were mentioned as the main drivers behind this. Good for Flint, Good Luck to ParkingCarma!
Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:06 am 

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
I guarantee if I won that perception would change real quick but more realisticly another way of doing this is by people like me, Steve and some others achieving results. Although Flint online seems like a flop. Obviously this site is having some success and my site although hideous looking seems to be heading in the right direction. I tried to get Flint Schools to go for a more advanced curriculum but money talks and I'm not in a position to push that unless I can push some people like Rapunzel onto the schoolboard.

If we had enough successful internet sites, blogs, etc using Google Adsense as well as some thriving businesses I think we could still at least get a Google sales office opened in Flint. Otherwise there would be a possiblitiy of setting up our own internet advertising network.

Hopefully in a few years this site will be in a position to take on the stupid Flint Journal that won't let me or Steve advertise.

For a city with no plan things could be worse. If we start following our charter we will have a plan. The union didn't stop us from following our charter.

I would not vote for her, she is too bitchy! Keep her doing what she is good at now on the east side!
Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:24 am 

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
Adam, what's the reason Flint Journal won't let you advertise?
Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Guest schreef:
Adam, what's the reason Flint Journal won't let you advertise?

I hate to but in here... but, the Flint Journal won't let me advertise either, I even offer to take out a full page ad.

I was told The Flint Journal has a policy of no web-based businesses.

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rapunzel

"I would not vote for her, she is too bitchy! Keep her doing what she is good at now on the east side!"

Good call!! I am learning to speak of opportunities rather than issues! with alittle help from my friends!

Rapunzel- will NOT run for board... at least someone thinks she does something right on the Eastside?

The future of Flint depends on the future of our children. Build jails or schools?

Someone needs to complain about this rubberstamp board. 5 Million in the hole in the current budget year! Student count day was on the fourth friday and still no stop to overspending. Cuts in February?

Look for "guest" spoofers next...that will not be me!

Peace,
Rap

The man in the suit has just bought a new car from the profit he made from your dreams...
and it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest; it was the low spark of the Laundry Room guys!
Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:23 am 

quote:
Rapunzel schreef:
The man in the suit has just bought a new car from the profit he made from your dreams...
and it wasn't the bullet that laid him to rest; it was the low spark of the Laundry Room guys!
???
Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:24 am 

quote:
Rapunzel schreef:
"I would not vote for her, she is too bitchy! Keep her doing what she is good at now on the east side!"

Good call!! I am learning to speak of opportunities rather than issues! with alittle help from my friends!

Rapunzel- will NOT run for board... at least someone thinks she does something right on the Eastside?

The future of Flint depends on the future of our children. Build jails or schools?

Someone needs to complain about this rubberstamp board. 5 Million in the hole in the current budget year! Student count day was on the fourth friday and still no stop to overspending. Cuts in February?

Look for "guest" spoofers next...that will not be me!

Peace,
Rap

Good quote from Traffic.
Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:27 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Traffic,

excellent group. One of my favorites. Steve Winwood rules.
Low Spark of High Heel Boys...

John Barleycorn must Die........

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

The Flint Journal would not give me a definative reason. What I assume is they don't let any internet sites because newspapers are losing to the internet.

I really wanted to advertise in the jobs section. http://jobs.mysearchisover.com The sad thing is the Flint journal is part of the mlive conglomerate so I might be banned accross the whole state. I was able to get into a Fenton newspaper though. I'm currently leaning towards radio advertising. First though it might nice to have a little fun with the Flint Urinal. Perhaps the Laundry Room would go down with video cameras while I try and place an add.

In reality I may not ever need to advertise on the radio, newspaper etc because my internet advertising is finally showing respectable results. Even so I am still not pleased with the Flint Journal. If I get on the ballot and they endorse me then I will let things slide and deal with it later.

With the direction Flint talk is going I can see why the FlintJournal would not want Flint talk to advertise. There are things covered here that are just not covered as well in the main stream media. Plus with Flinttalk readership rapdily expanding eventualy the advertising revenues should follow. in otherwise this site is a potential threat to the Flint Journal.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 pm 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
Well said Biggie.

We've got to change the national perception of Flint being a blue-collar, lazy, backward, union town first....................then maybe corporations will consider looking at Flint.

Thanks UAW...........way to f ck up our hometown!

Is that perception...or reality?
Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:33 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: