FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Kincaid leads City Council in refusal to act

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

In post #7618 00SL2 wrote: "Didn't Scott Kincaid say at a City Council Meeting that he would not approve anything the mayor proposed? If that's so, then how's the mayor to overcome that attitude to get anything done at City Hall that requires Council approval?"

Josh Freeman responded: "Also, I've attended Council meetings since 1999 missing only 4 or 5. In fact, I have a better attendance record than most of the Council. I don't recall, though, Councilman Kincaid making a statement that he would not vote for anything that the Mayor proposes. Actually he has continually advocated that we shouldn't hold the residents hostage to the incompetent leadership shown by the Administration. So I am not sure where that came from."

An article in The Flint Journal today entitled, "Council balks at doing city's business as feud with Williamson escalates," reports Councilman Scott Kincaid saying, "'We're not going to approve anything until he pays our bills." This is the same irresponsible, power-playing attitude I saw him display at a previous City Council meeting; why is it that he has such a powerful influence over the other council members. We need council representation to think for themselves and for their constituents, not for Scott Kincaid. According to The Flint Journal today, Darryl Buchanan said not paying the bills could "undercut the city's credibility" and Sheldon Neeley is "prepared to postpone items until November if necessary." Ehren Gonzales said, "I don't think you can justify taking a salary (if the council refuses take action). Putting politics before people is wrong."
Journal article: http://tinyurl.com/2hhcjd

Scott Kincaid should reconsider his effort to run for mayor of the City of Flint. His behavior constitutes a path of destruction instead of making efforts to handle adversity in a positive way. Ehren Gonzales put it so well. How can paying city council a salary be justified if they refuse to act? Council's refusal to act should be adequate grounds for recall! Please contact your council representative and let your opinion be known.
Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:47 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

No more reconsideration required than the mayor should then?

it takes two to have an impasse.

I'd suggest the mayor is as much at fault as the council, once again.

I'm no fan of Mr Kincaid, but he and the mayor seem to deserve each other.

and I always appreciate balance in government. I get nervous when one branch of gov't or a single person accumulates too much power.

I believe in the absolute corrupting influence of absolute power. Too many examples in history bear out the damage that can occur when that happens.

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:55 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Scott Kincaid should reconsider his effort to run for mayor of the City of Flint. His behavior constitutes a path of destruction instead of making efforts to handle adversity in a positive way. Ehren Gonzales put it so well. How can paying city council a salary be justified if they refuse to act? Council's refusal to act should be adequate grounds for recall! Please contact your council representative and let your opinion be known.

So what is the solution then... if the Mayor refuses to pay bills that are legally incurred.. what should the Council do? Just sit by and watch? It's crazy that the Mayor refuses to pay bills that are legal, yet has no problem bypassing the Council for things like a towing contract... awarding $83,000. with no oversight....passed as an emergency purchase... Of course, that is okie dokie.

Anyway.. why blame Kincaid... he is only one vote... even the Mayors hand picked yes men and women voted for it (Gonzales, Buchanan, Hill and Nelson). If those ninnies vote for it, even why taking direction from the Mayor, perhaps there is something to it?
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  

Here's a guy, Josh "I can't even win re-election" Freeman, calling current council representatives fools, ninnies, whatever. He called his opponent names during his campaign. Look where it got him, he lost and now he is on the sidelines being an armchair quarterback. Get over it already, Josh. Move on with your life. In fact move out of Flint if you are so discouraged.

The city needs positive leadership not the old guard, Freeman, Coleman, Taylor, to name a few. These guys, including Kincaid, drove us to over $20 million deficit. We ought not listen to these individuals as they have proven record of failure. They were ineffective leaders. Facts are facts. The truth hurts.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 am 
John

quote:
Guest schreef:
Here's a guy, Josh "I can't even win re-election" Freeman, calling current council representatives fools, ninnies, whatever. He called his opponent names during his campaign. Look where it got him, he lost and now he is on the sidelines being an armchair quarterback. Get over it already, Josh. Move on with your life. In fact move out of Flint if you are so discouraged.

The city needs positive leadership not the old guard, Freeman, Coleman, Taylor, to name a few. These guys, including Kincaid, drove us to over $20 million deficit. We ought not listen to these individuals as they have proven record of failure. They were ineffective leaders. Facts are facts. The truth hurts.

You for got to add the Josh is a member of the group, Citizen For Accountable Government, which urged the council to investigate the Mayor wife for campaign fraud and the mayor for forcing city workers to work on her campaign.

Two of the groups members Kate Fields and Alex Harris gave testimony during the investigation.

What was the finial price tag on that mess?
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:48 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Guest schreef:

Facts are facts... And frankly the truth does hurt. That's probably why you used neither in your post..... First off, the budget years that I served under, came out with a surplus. Secondly, when the others that you named finally had control of real budget numbers, after the recall of Stanley, they took a projected $13 million deficit that year and came up with a surplus.... in less than 5 months. That was prior to the State taking over. The council had control from March until the end of the fiscal year. The State took over in July.

So if you want to slam me for losing an election.. go ahead... I'm over it... But at least try to be honest and deal with reality when making a post. Otherwise you just make yourself look like a dufus....
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

And by the Way, the motion to postpone everything at the Committee meeting was made by Ananich.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 pm 

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
And by the Way, the motion to postpone everything at the Committee meeting was made by Ananich.

Josh you were part of the problem, so is Scott and others.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 pm 

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
So what is the solution then... if the Mayor refuses to pay bills that are legally incurred.. what should the Council do? Anyway.. why blame Kincaid... he is only one vote...
If the bill is over a certain amount it's supposed to be submitted by resolution. Resolution form is supposed to be approved by City Attorney before being voted on. Was this done, or did they try to push this through like they did the resolution for suing the mayor again for not appointing a permanent police chief? I.e., Kincaid submitted the resolution to city attorney's office at the final hour and council voted on it the same night prior to getting city attorney's okay for form. Both council and mayor should follow the rules.
Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:39 am 
Chad McFly
F L I N T O I D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
00SL2 schreef:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Kincaid has as much chance at being mayor as Ted Jankowski...

I ask you all to compare the resume of Scott Kincaid ( if you can find one ) to Dale Weighill.

Dale Weighill for mayor , hands down

Scott Kincaid has been bashing Mayor Williamson for months repeating himself over, and over at the council meetings. Now we see why.

Scott Kincaid could not even beat STANLEY 8 years ago. Who the hell would think he stands a chance against THE DON.
Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Scott Kinkaid did come VERY close to winning mayor.

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:14 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

I'd love to see Scott "Killer Kouncilman" Kincaid take on don " The Great White Whale" Williamson in a steel-cage, chocolate pudding wrasslin' match.

I'd pay big bucks to see it too!

But I wouldn't bet on either to win [figure the over/under on 3 minutes before they both start eating the chocolate pudding].

Kind of like famous couples,

Bogart & Bacall,
Spencer & Tracy,
Gable & Lombard,
ham & cheese,
burger & fries,
Kincaid & Williamson

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:59 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

almost forgot, and most apropos,

Ahab and Moby Dick

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:00 pm 

I hate to judge a book by its cover..................but is there a MORE stupid looking person than Scott Kincaid? that deer-in-the-headlights look really screams...........DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " I'm a dumbass."

Challenge that guy to an IQ test............I bet he'd struggle to be average.
Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:23 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Guest schreef:
quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
So what is the solution then... if the Mayor refuses to pay bills that are legally incurred.. what should the Council do? Anyway.. why blame Kincaid... he is only one vote...
If the bill is over a certain amount it's supposed to be submitted by resolution. Resolution form is supposed to be approved by City Attorney before being voted on. Was this done, or did they try to push this through like they did the resolution for suing the mayor again for not appointing a permanent police chief? I.e., Kincaid submitted the resolution to city attorney's office at the final hour and council voted on it the same night prior to getting city attorney's okay for form. Both council and mayor should follow the rules.

Where does the Charter state that the Council has to submit a resolution for approval as-to-form prior to passing the reso? Can you give a specific section of the Charter that says this? I believe that the Judge even said that they can present the resolution after it has passed for approval as to form. If a legislative body, such as the City Council, had to present everything to the City Attorney prior to voting on it, they would never be able to act from the floor. Which, clearly, they have done historically. Presenting a reso for approval as to form has no bearing as to whether the resolution, or the intent, is legal. It is as the wording suggests, do the words on the paper fall in the right order. Nothing more and nothing less. If that is the basis by which the Mayor is not paying bills, it seems kind of silly.
Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: