FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Hanging On by Edmund G. Love - great book.

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Has anyone here read Edmund G. Love's Hanging On, or How to Survive a Depression and Enjoy Life ? For those of you who do not know, Hanging On is a sequal of sorts to his book The Situation in Flushing . Edmund G. Love was born in Flushing, but moved to Flint when he was about 13 or so. His father owned a lumberyard. Anyway, Hanging On takes place between 1928 and about 1942 or so, from when Love graduated from Flint Central (I think), attended U of M on and off during the depression while helping his father, and then getting a teaching job at Flint Central.

I recommend it.

Edmund G. Love wrote for the Saturday Evening Post and other such magazines before and while writing his books. His most famous, Subways are for Sleeping was made into a broadway musical, which did not do well, but the book is still really good.

Just a rant. Carry on.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:14 pm 

you are the second person in 2 weeks to recommend The Situation in Flushing. I may have to check that out.
Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: