FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Council Members Take on Controversy

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

After Flint Council members took their oath of office at 12:20 pm Monday afternoon, some took on their first day in office attacking a campaign contribution controversy. Ward Three Councilman Kerry Nelson pulled the microphone close and went right to the point.

"It was out that I've been bought and paid but I want to tell you somethin' your right, but you have the wrong purchaser. You have the Mayor as the purchaser," said Kerry, but added that God was the only one who had bought him during his campaign for councilman.

This announcement comes after criticism that Kerry along with several others took campaign contributions from Mayor Don Williamson and his wife.

We checked the Michigan State Bureau of Elections for campaign contributions. Records confirm Kerry took $1,000 in campaign contributions from Mayor Don Williamson and his wife Patsy Lou. Although it's not in state elections records, newly elected Ward #2 Councilwoman Jackie Foster-Poplar told us she took $300 in contributions from the Mayor's wife.

"Other people gave me money. I don't owe anybody anything. I was bought on Calvary," Foster-Poplar said.

Ward #8 Councilman Ehren Gonzales admitted to about $500 in elections contributions from the same source. "I can make decisions on my own. I don't have any outside influences telling me how I have to vote," said Gonzales. "Basically give me the alternatives and I'll make the best decision for the city."

Sandra Hill explained, "I'm not bought and paid for. I got contributions from other sources. I'm here for the people, whatever I had to do to get here to help the citizens of Flint - that's what I did."

State records do not show contributions from the Mayor to Hill or to Councilman Sheldon Neeley. Neeley says he's proud he didn't take contributions from Williamson or his wife. "We are the independent agents of the people only the people can elects us or un-elect us from this office," explained Neeley. "We make sure...have to make sure that the perception of independence is there."

Meantime Mayor Don Williamson defended his contributions to the council members who beat the former incumbents. "Take the President of the United States, take Governor Granholm, take everybody, all polititians are bought and paid for. That's how they come out and raise money!" said Williamson.

In any event, Scott Kincaid, who is one of three incumbents voted back in office, says this new council will have cooperation challenges. Kincaid has 20 years on the council and no record of contributions from Williamson or his wife. He told us he believes one man at least is partially to blame for the years of division in Flint government.

"Whether or not the bickering and the name calling stops will be up to the Mayor. It hasn't yet and the election was a week ago and I hope it stops today."

Full Story:
http://www.weyi.com/news/local/1969217.html
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Jims friend

Jim Ananich was was born and raised in Flint, Michigan, after graduating from Flint Central High School in 1994, Jim attended Michigan State University, James Madison College and received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Economics. After graduating Jim moved to Washington D.C. and worked for the US Department of Interior's National Indian Gaming Commission. Jim also was a Legislative Assistant for Congressman Dale Kildee (D-Flint). Jim moved home to Flint in 2001 to be Congressman Kildee's Genesee County Community Liaison and to be a Caseworker. Later that year Jim completed his coursework at Michigan State University School of Education with a major in Secondary Social Studies with a minor in Economics. Currently, Jim is working towards a Master's of Public Administration in Educational Administration at the University of Michigan Flint and is finishing his student teaching at Carmen-Ainsworth high school. Jim is on the steering committe for the National Center for Community Education "Tomorrow's Leaders, Today" program and is the Vice President of the Greater Eastside Community Association a local nonprofit in Flint .
Post Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: