FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 7 hats in Flint mayor chase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tom C
F L I N T O I D

Yep, sort of. It's a magazine now, though. We just started it back up about a year ago, after they shut it down in... 98?
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:49 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Scott Kincaid was the council president that took us into a recievership. Is he electable as mayor?

See Flint Journal
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1168960832215370.xml&coll=5
------
FLINT - City Councilman Scott Kincaid may take his long-standing feud with Mayor Don Williamson to the ballot box.

Kincaid isn't officially in the race, but he is a definite maybe. He picked up petitions this morning that would allow him to run for mayor.
---

Kincaid took the city 23 million dollars into debt, Williamson has taken us $8 million into the black. WHo do you prefer between these two?

Terry Bnakert
1/16/07
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
---

Kincaid took the city 23 million dollars into debt, Williamson has taken us $8 million into the black. WHo do you prefer between these two?

Terry Bnakert
1/16/07

Terry, as I am sure you can remember, we are still $8 million in debt, the only thing is that now we owe the State of Michigan the money via debt reduction bonds where before we owed the City of Flint sewer fund where the money was borrowed from. Mayor Williamson has not taken us into the black, just moved where the debt is. We still owe the money.

In fact he has added to the debt of the sewer fund with the purchase of over $3 million in garbage trucks and police vehicles and lawn mowers for golf courses and trucks and cars, in fact just about anything but sewers.

So to assert that Mayor Williamson has produced an excess of funds is not exactly true.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tom C schreef:
So, this site is new for me! I happened to stumble on it while looking up info on the people running for mayor of Flint.

You all seem like fine and knowledgeable people... Does anyone know of where I can find out more information about John Beatty, Norm Bryant, and Kendrick Kemp? The MCC Chronicle is looking to do a series of profiles on each person running for Mayor, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on these people.

I do have quite a bit on the current Mayor, Dale Weighill, and Dayne Walling, and gathered Ted Jankowski's information out of this thread, but not finding much on the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas Cole,
News Editor, MCC Chronicle

PS - We also review websites every month, so I've forwarded this one to the entertainment editor, to see if she wants to include it.

Welcome To Flint Talk Thomas!!!

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

President & CEO, Resource Center, Flint, MI 2/00-Present

Chair, Volunteer Center National Network Council, Washington, DC 6/04-8/05
•Served as a member of the Points of Light Foundation’s Board of Directors, including membership on the Program and Government Affairs Committees.
•Played leadership role in the development of an affiliate relationship between Volunteer Centers and the Points of Light Foundation.
•Assisted in the development and execution of the strategic plan for the Volunteer Center National Network.
•Participated actively in Volunteer Center advocacy efforts in Congress and with the federal Executive Branch.

Instructor, C.S. Mott Community College, Flint, MI 9/97-12/98; 10/01-Present
Instructor, Oakland Community College, Holly, MI 9/97-12/97 & 7/98-8/98
•Currently teach introductory courses on American government and politics.
•Received outstanding peer and student evaluations, 12/97-Present.
•Awarded Mott Community College faculty-grant for study abroad in South Africa (5/9Cool.

Legislative Assistant, Office of State Representative Laura M. Toy, Lansing, MI 1/99-2/00
•Co-managed Lansing legislative office, including supervision of interns and volunteers.
•Convened and nurtured coalitions of local and statewide organizations in support of Representative Toy’s policy goals.
•Developed and executed major constituent-outreach projects in House district.
•Advised Representative Toy on all public policy and political matters.

Trustee, Clarenceville Board of Education, Livonia, MI 7/89-6/95
•Elected youngest Board of Education President in Michigan, 1991-92 & 1994-95.
•Chaired and facilitated all meetings and served as board spokesperson while President.
•Planned and executed successful millage, bond issue, and trustee election campaigns,
1989-1995.
•Worked closely with various community and parent groups in support of school improvement plans.
•Participated in writing, editing, and approving all school district policies for students and personnel.

EDUCATION

Master of Arts - Political Science, American University, Washington, DC (5/97)
Honors: Graduated with Highest Distinction, 1997; School of Public Affairs
Award for Outstanding Scholarship at the Graduate Level, 1997; Honor Societies:
Pi Alpha Alpha, Pi Sigma Alpha, 1997; Master’s Merit Fellowship, 1995-97.

Bachelor of Arts - Political Science, The University of Michigan, Dearborn, MI (4/93)
Honors: Graduated with Highest Distinction, 1993; Most Distinguished Scholar in Political Science Award, 1992; Distinguished Student Leader Award, 1992.

SPECIAL ACTIVITIES & AWARDS

• Member, Rotary Club of Flint, 7/00 - Present
• Volunteer Reader, Visually Impaired Center, 9/02 – Present
• Member, Michigan Nonprofit Association Board of Directors, 6/06 – Present
• Mentor, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Flint, 10/06 - Present
• Trustee, ConnectMichigan Alliance Board of Directors, 3/02 – 1/05
• Chair, Genesee County Nonprofit Association, 12/02 – 2/05
• Chair, Volunteer Centers of Michigan, 7/02 – 5/04
• Professional Growth and Scholarship Award, The University of Michigan – Dearborn, 4/04
• Member, Genesee County Salvation Army Advisory Board, 9/00-11/03
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:57 pm 
mark thompson
F L I N T O I D

Sorry.. that previous post.. was a resume that was faxed to me my Dale Weighill recently.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
mark thompson schreef:
Sorry.. that previous post.. was a resume that was faxed to me my Dale Weighill recently.
You can edit your own posts; why don't you go back in and put his name on it so we'll know who it is for when we read it. Smile
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:16 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Kincaid took the city 23 million dollars into debt, Williamson has taken us $8 million into the black. WHo do you prefer between these two? - Terry Bnakert, 1/16/07
Well, Kincaid wasn't personally responsible, nor singly responsible, for the 23 million dollar debt. It was under the leadership of Woodrow Stanley, who someone said was going to announce his candicacy for mayor this month. What happened with that?

The Journal's comment about taking the feud to the ballot box is a good description, and my reaction to the article was "Who's he gonna fight with if he (Kincaid) gets elected?" He's wasted taxpayer dollars from City Council fighting with the mayor, would he do any differently if he were electedmayor? My guess is that he would continue to pursue Williamson personally for whatever wrongs he perceives to have been committed. We don't need that! We need an end to the acrimony downtown, and we'll be better served by Scott Kincaid leaving altogether.

With so many hats in the ring for mayor it'll spread the vote, guaranteeing a win for Williamson. A sure disappointment for all those who oppose him and choose to vote for someone/anyone else. On the other hand, if Stanley actually throws his hat in, it'll probably be a battle between the Williamson/Stanley loyalists.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:40 pm 

"With so many hats in the ring for mayor it'll spread the vote, guaranteeing a win for Williamson. A sure disappointment for all those who oppose him and choose to vote for someone/anyone else. " Quote from OOSL2

EXACTLY!!! The same thing happened in the State Senate race. So good candidates split the vote.

Scott Kincaid knows City business/ government. He could hit the ground running and make a positive difference. Knows all pending litigation/current problems and wouldn't be taken by surprize while learning the ropes.

I don't see why he would continue to pursue "Williamson" but possibly undo some needless appointments?

Next we'll see another good candidate like Jack Minore throw his hat in the ring and the knowledgable candidates will cross each other out.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

JOSH-
Terry, as I am sure you can remember, we are still $8 million in debt, the only thing is that now we owe the State of Michigan the money via debt reduction bonds where before we owed the City of Flint sewer fund where the money was borrowed from.
TERRY- Please describe the debt reduction bonds. Several readers may not know what and why they are. How did we come to owe the sewer fund?

JOSH-
Mayor Williamson has not taken us into the black, just moved where the debt is. We still owe the money.
TERRY- It sounds like the debt is now where it legally should be. The sewer fund issue sounds like an inappropriate debt. I gahter what you are saying is that we still have the debt, we have now a payment plan and our sewer fund is intact. What is the proper way to account for this when answering the question Is the City of Flint now solvent versus the insolvency we once had?

JOSH-
In fact he has added to the debt of the sewer fund with the purchase of over $3 million in garbage trucks and police vehicles and lawn mowers for golf courses and trucks and cars, in fact just about anything but sewers.

TERRY
What are the restrictions on the sewer fund?
JOSH
So to assert that Mayor Williamson has produced an excess of funds is not exactly true.[/quote]

TERRY
I see your point assuming you are correct. Is this the difference between cash on hand and surplus?

Thanky you for the comments.
Terry
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Anonymous schreef:
"With so many hats in the ring for mayor it'll spread the vote, guaranteeing a win for Williamson. A sure disappointment for all those who oppose him and choose to vote for someone/anyone else. " Quote from OOSL2

EXACTLY!!! The same thing happened in the State Senate race. So good candidates split the vote.

Scott Kincaid knows City business/ government. He could hit the ground running and make a positive difference. Knows all pending litigation/current problems and wouldn't be taken by surprize while learning the ropes.

I don't see why he would continue to pursue "Williamson" but possibly undo some needless appointments?

Next we'll see another good candidate like Jack Minore throw his hat in the ring and the knowledgable candidates will cross each other out.

The State Senate race in a democraticly dominated Genesee County was settled by the primary. Here there will be a hotly contested primary and general election. The new candidates will not cancel each other out. The strongest will survive the primary to take on Williamson.

Terry
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:50 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

l2
Well, Kincaid wasn't personally responsible, nor singly responsible, for the 23 million dollar debt.
TERRY-
He was the leader of a seperate but equal branch of Flint City Government when the City of Flint fell to a recievership the equilavent of Bankruptcy.
l2
It was under the leadership of Woodrow Stanley, who someone said was going to announce his candicacy for mayor this month. What happened with that?
TERRY-
The principla job of the Flint City Council is to set their budget. The mayor proposes a budget the pass the budget. He was the real guy in charge.
Stanley is welcomed to the fray. But he has a lot to account for.
l2
The Journal's comment about taking the feud to the ballot box is a good description, and my reaction to the article was "Who's he gonna fight with if he (Kincaid) gets elected?" He's wasted taxpayer dollars from City Council fighting with the mayor, would he do any differently if he were electedmayor? My guess is that he would continue to pursue Williamson personally for whatever wrongs he perceives to have been committed. We don't need that! We need an end to the acrimony downtown, and we'll be better served by Scott Kincaid leaving altogether.

With so many hats in the ring for mayor it'll spread the vote, guaranteeing a win for Williamson. A sure disappointment for all those who oppose him and choose to vote for someone/anyone else. On the other hand, if Stanley actually throws his hat in, it'll probably be a battle between the Williamson/Stanley loyalists.[/quote]

Thank you
Terry
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Tom C schreef:
So, this site is new for me! I happened to stumble on it while looking up info on the people running for mayor of Flint.

You all seem like fine and knowledgeable people... Does anyone know of where I can find out more information about John Beatty, Norm Bryant, and Kendrick Kemp? The MCC Chronicle is looking to do a series of profiles on each person running for Mayor, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on these people.

I do have quite a bit on the current Mayor, Dale Weighill, and Dayne Walling, and gathered Ted Jankowski's information out of this thread, but not finding much on the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas Cole,
News Editor, MCC Chronicle

PS - We also review websites every month, so I've forwarded this one to the entertainment editor, to see if she wants to include it.

Tom C:

Norm Bryant

http://www.normbryantformayor.com/

Have you seen the TLR interview with:

Norman Bryant - Mayoral candidate

Adam Ford - Mayoral candidate

Dale Weighill - Mayoral candidate

If not here is a link:

http://www.thelaundryroom.us/

I don’t have any information on John Beatty or Kendrick Kemp.

If you get any information on John Beatty or Kendrick Kemp please pass it on to me @ 250-9319 and feel free to post it on flinttalk.com

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Tom C
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Tom C:

Norm Bryant

http://www.normbryantformayor.com/

Have you seen the TLR interview with:

Norman Bryant - Mayoral candidate

Adam Ford - Mayoral candidate

Dale Weighill - Mayoral candidate

If not here is a link:

http://www.thelaundryroom.us/

I don’t have any information on John Beatty or Kendrick Kemp.

If you get any information on John Beatty or Kendrick Kemp please pass it on to me @ 250-9319 and feel free to post it on flinttalk.com

Thank you Steve! I did manage to find the Norm Bryant's website, but the phone number will come in helpful. All I could find on Kendrick Kemp (if this is even the same person), is that there's someone with the same full name working as the Marketing Director for the National Center for Community Education ( http://www.nccenet.org , 1017 Avon Street, Flint, Michigan 48503 - Telephone: 810-238-0463). I haven't gotten around to calling yet.

On John Beatty, I found where he announced he was running for mayor... to the Lansing City Council( here and here .), which I found to be a bit odd. Apparently, he's the pastor of Faith Center Church (I'm assuming here in Flint), which I was unable to locate.

Going to do some more digging this weekend.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:17 pm 

Here's interesting news.

Today Norm Bryant gave a 30 min talk to the Flint School Administrators regarding his campaign. This was a required scheduled meeting for all administrators (Sarvis Center). He said he was invited by Dr. Milton.

Is that legal? Doesn't Dr. Milton have to give equal time for all candidates?
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: