FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 7 hats in Flint mayor chase
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
What is SMEAC, BAMCIS?

Did you click on the link?
This is how every operation the USMC does is laid out. It is planned. SMEAC is the overall mandate of the order.
BAMCIS is the mini version. Troop leading steps.

Both are formulas for real problem solving!

Where I have been criticized is when I attempt to get people involved in the beginning of the problem solving! Identifying the source of the problem as being too negative. For me it all goes to foundation. Stop patching the sagging wall! Let’s fix the foundation first. Then rebuild the wall on it. I’m tired of watching this city year after year “SOLVING” the same problem with the same solution year after year.

Solve the crime problem. No matter who it upsets. Fix the school’s education system by supporting It from the Mayor’s office! Getting the churches involved! Supporting the schools and running the after school programs. Recognizing those that put forth the effort. Recognizing those that are laboring in the fields! Instead of glorifying those that write grants and get rich off the government’s “!@#” Which is ultimately OUR TAX DOLLARS! People like Tony and Toni. Who volunteer and have been volunteering for years. People like Terry who I’ve not ever heard of him asking for any cash for giving those classes. These are people that should be recognized and celebrated in the community! I wrote Council about that. They failed to act upon it. So when I become Mayor. I’ll do it myself!

Yes I am wordy. But I want not only what I’m saying to be understood. But understand how I came to the conclusion. While I think I’m pretty smart. Others may have something to add that could change my view! I don’t like to act out of ignorance. And most people who can help want to! Thus the success of my show! People want to help other to understand what the real problem is and help fix it. It just seems to be Human nature.
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Where is the link at?

You're sounding a little liberal. I'm not convinced we need more people involved. I think we would be better off having less people involved but having the RIGHT people involved. For example it's hard to drown out Tony but for the meetings I've been at Toni she seems to get drowned out by people that aren't as informed.

I think you need to be careful because it doesn't matter how good your ideas are if people aren't actively listening to you then you won't get your point across. There's probably a lot of teachers in Flint that give kids great information but fail to educate.

Even if you were elected you still have the council to work with. They don't seem to pay much attention to your letters but they don't seem to listen to my speeches either.
Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:59 pm 
Joe

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Yo Jack, Interesting that i've asked before what people like you think is crying? I see the Spin has begun! how about an example? How about a specfic case? Can't find one huh! Yeah, I know where the crying is coming from. Mostly from those that make statements without any facts to back it up. Then whinning that I'm being negative or mean! LOL Keep trying to paint me the way you want to. I know what I'm about.

HAIL TO TED AND DONALD RUNSFIELD!!
Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

There should be a link right from clicking on the words themselves. But also from the menu to the left!
Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The links on your ted for mayor site are not working. You have them linked to your c drive.
Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Programing error with FP I just fixed it.
Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:20 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1168613754121520.xml&coll=5

7 hats in Flint mayor chase
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, January 12, 2007
By Marjory Raymer
mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325
QUICK TAKE
Likely candidates

A look at some of the likely candidates running for mayor of Flint. The deadline to file is May 15, so more candidates are likely.
JOHN BEATTY: A handyman who moved to Flint about a year ago after a friend was killed

NORM BRYANT: A barbershop owner and longtime community activist

TED JANKOWSKI: Host of a cable television show

KENDRICK D. KEMP: Took out petitions Thursday

DAYNE WALLING: President of the Flint Club and research fellow at the Genesee County Land Bank

DALE WEIGHILL: President of the Resource Center, an organization that assists local nonprofit agencies

MAYOR DON WILLIAMSON: Millionaire businessman elected mayor in 2003

Running for mayor
Petitions and other information are available at the city clerk's office, located on the second floor of City Hall, 1101 S. Saginaw St. in downtown Flint. Candidates must collect the signatures of 900 registered Flint voters on petitions to be put on the ballot. Petitions are due by 4 p.m. May 15.

FLINT - The race for mayor is officially on, and it already is a big one.

Seven people, including first-term Mayor Don Williamson, have joined the fray, and there's still four months for other candidates to jump in.

As of this week, candidates could pick up petitions from the city clerk's office to officially get in the race. That signals the start of a long election season.

Sure, the sheer number of candidates guarantees a big race, but, really, this election was destined to be the year's most-watched anyway.

After all, it features Williamson. Love him or hate him, he and his very deep pockets are attention-getters.

The election is a real test for Williamson. He successfully flexed his political muscle in 2005 by ousting a majority of City Council members but fell short last year when his wife, Patsy Lou, failed to win the Democratic nomination for an open state Senate seat.

Since being elected four years ago, Williamson has paved streets and even cleaned them on his own dime. The state takeover ended, and auditors confirmed a growing budget surplus.

So, can anybody actually beat him?

Yes, theoretically anyway, said Michael J. Carr, county clerk and longtime political insider.

"I don't know if any of the people who are thus far announced can do it. It is going to have to be a really good candidate who can raise money and appeal to both the black and white community," Carr said.

So far, Williamson faces a crew of citizen activists - most of whom have no real political experience.

Norm Bryant, a barbershop owner, is the exception. He's been involved for decades in everything from Atwood Stadium to the Afro-American Hall of Fame.

He won a seat on the Flint Board of Education in a citywide election, serving from 1991-97. He said he's not thinking about Williamson and declines to answer the question of whether he thinks the mayor can be defeated.

He focuses instead on his campaign and issues such as crime, unemployment, economic development and increasing Flint pride.

"I have a (virtual) Ph.D. out here in the community. That elevates me with anybody who is out there," Bryant said.

Williamson, a self-described multimillionaire, spent more than $350,000 on his campaign in 2003, when he trounced well-known former County Commissioner Floyd Clack.

"You know he'll do it again. He'll do whatever he has to," Carr said of Williamson's spending.

Five candidates made the ballot for the 2003 primary.

As for Williamson, he said the election will decide if he can be beat.

"I can't speak for the people of Flint," Williamson said. "I know that I've done the best job I can do."

Despite the power of Williamson's incumbency, name recognition and money, his penchant for never backing down from a fight helped forge the long line of competition Williamson now faces.

Among his most vocal enemies are members of the City Council, which heartily backed him when he was first elected.

But Williamson helped defeat many of those same council members in 2005 elections so he could again win a majority of support of the City Council.

Several very public spats later, he again faces a majority of adversaries on the council.

Candidates must collect 900 valid signatures from registered voters in Flint to get their name on the ballot for the nonpartisan battle in August.

As of Thursday, candidates who have picked up their petitions include Williamson, Bryant, cable television show host Ted Jankowski and Kendrick D. Kemp - although several others already have announced their intention to run.

For the record, though, Williamson already won one race. His campaign nabbed bragging rights by being the first to pick up petitions Wednesday.

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
It's 00SL2

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Programing error with FP I just fixed it.
How about fixing this header on your pages, to reflect the facts:

"City of Flint - Ranked Number Two Crime Rate in the US as Reported by the Detroit Free Press. Forth Most Dangerous City to Live in."

You've indicated you would make correction if error could be documented. Laughing

CRIME IN THE U.S., FBI Releases Preliminary Report, 12/18/06
http://www.fbi.gov/page2/dec06/ucr_prelim121806.htm
The information on this report compares the first six months of 2005 to the first six months of 2006.
---------------
Bloomberg.com: U.S.
Detroit was judged the second- most dangerous city and Flint, Michigan, was third. Washington was 19th, Los Angeles was 122nd and New York was 227th. ...
www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aF3XZY1N0y5M&refer=us - 24k -
--------------
Flint, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Flint was recently named as the third most dangerous city in the United States in an ... In 2006, Flint was the 10th most liberal city in the United States, ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint,_Michigan - 118k
--------------
Detroit still second most dangerous city - 10/30/06 - The Detroit ...
Flint 4. Compton, Calif. 5. Camden, N.J. Most dangerous cities ... of such crimes rose much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of the United States. ...
www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061030/METRO/610300382 - 37k
------------
The Detroit Free Press article is in their paid archives:
DETROIT NO. 2 ON CRIME LIST, STUDY SAYS
October 30, 2006 •• 463 words •• ID: dfp0000345882
They were the best in baseball. Outside the ball diamond, Detroit and St. Louis share another top spot: the most dangerous cities in the United States. The annual ranking of the nation's most dangerous cities found St. Louis first, Detroit second and Flint third, according to a study to be released today by Morgan Quitno Press, a Kansas-based company that publishes "City Crime Rankings," an annual reference book. It's the third consecutive
--------------------
Violent crime up in Detroit, Auto theft rises too, FBI report shows, December 12, 2006
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/NEWS05/612190343/0/MISC
"In Flint, murders more than doubled, jumping from 14 to 30, according to the report."
"Nationally, murders and robberies continued to rise across the country during the first six months of 2006, on pace for an increase in violent crime for a second straight year, the FBI data show."
"The overall 3.7% national increase in violent crime between January and June comes amid a still-incomplete Justice Department study of 18 cities for clues on why criminal activity is on the rise."
--------------
Murders spike in N.Y., other top cities in '06 - 12/28/06 - The Detroit News Online
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061228/NATION/612280366/1020
----------

Flint is "fourth" largest city in Michigan (2000 Census).

http://www.cityofflint.com/About/quickFACTS.asp
http://www.flintjournal.com/about/
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Flint,_Michigan
http://www.geneseelandnetwork.org/sprawl/landuse/genesee.html
Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:41 am 
Bryan

Reporter, Marjory Raymer, did a poor job of researching the backgrounds of the current candidates, and did a disservice to the citizens of Flint by mis-representing some accomplished individuals. She writes,

"So far, Williamson faces a crew of citizen activists - most of whom have no real political experience.

Norm Bryant, a barbershop owner, is the exception. He's been involved for decades in everything from Atwood Stadium to the Afro-American Hall of Fame."

I hope for more thourogh & accurate reporting in the future.
Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:19 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bryan schreef:
Reporter, Marjory Raymer, did a poor job of researching the backgrounds of the current candidates, and did a disservice to the citizens of Flint by mis-representing some accomplished individuals. She writes,

"So far, Williamson faces a crew of citizen activists - most of whom have no real political experience.

Norm Bryant, a barbershop owner, is the exception. He's been involved for decades in everything from Atwood Stadium to the Afro-American Hall of Fame."

You're definately right about the Norm Bryant thing. I read his first article and thought what's this old barbershop guy doing running for mayor? Later I found out about all the stuff he's done.

Newspapers make mistakes but this election is critical. I think if only get a decent mayor we will be in even worse shape than we are now and we are currently continuing the fall.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:26 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Bryan schreef:

keep in mind there is also an editor between what you read and what a reporter writes [also a fact checker?]

I suspect with the donald as the subject, the FJ probably is on high alert with what gets written, how, and even by whom. Probably gets extra scrutiny by the editors too.

As we get deeper into the political season I think we'll see more in depth pictures painted of all the candidates; with or without cooperation.

This one struck me as a brief, primer, and sometimes those can seem misleading.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:13 pm 
Bryan

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Mr. Bryant, who is apparently an active citizen working to better Flint.

An example she cites as political experience is school board membership, which I know at least one other candidate- Dale Weighill- has.
Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:22 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

If you haven't been to crossroads village lately, you should differently check it out..... Or Stepping Stone Falls.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tom C
F L I N T O I D

So, this site is new for me! I happened to stumble on it while looking up info on the people running for mayor of Flint.

You all seem like fine and knowledgeable people... Does anyone know of where I can find out more information about John Beatty, Norm Bryant, and Kendrick Kemp? The MCC Chronicle is looking to do a series of profiles on each person running for Mayor, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on these people.

I do have quite a bit on the current Mayor, Dale Weighill, and Dayne Walling, and gathered Ted Jankowski's information out of this thread, but not finding much on the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas Cole,
News Editor, MCC Chronicle

PS - We also review websites every month, so I've forwarded this one to the entertainment editor, to see if she wants to include it.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:52 am 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tom C schreef:
So, this site is new for me! I happened to stumble on it while looking up info on the people running for mayor of Flint.

You all seem like fine and knowledgeable people... Does anyone know of where I can find out more information about John Beatty, Norm Bryant, and Kendrick Kemp? The MCC Chronicle is looking to do a series of profiles on each person running for Mayor, and I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on these people.

I do have quite a bit on the current Mayor, Dale Weighill, and Dayne Walling, and gathered Ted Jankowski's information out of this thread, but not finding much on the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Thomas Cole,
News Editor, MCC Chronicle

PS - We also review websites every month, so I've forwarded this one to the entertainment editor, to see if she wants to include it.

Hey Tom...Is the MCC Chronicle the student newspaper? I'll have to go on line and check it out when Im not so busy. I was editor of the MCC Post back in 86-87. Love to hear about how things are going there!

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: