FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 7 hats in Flint mayor chase
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-41/1168613754121520.xml&coll=5

7 hats in Flint mayor chase
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, January 12, 2007
By Marjory Raymer
mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325
QUICK TAKE
Likely candidates

A look at some of the likely candidates running for mayor of Flint. The deadline to file is May 15, so more candidates are likely.
JOHN BEATTY: A handyman who moved to Flint about a year ago after a friend was killed

NORM BRYANT: A barbershop owner and longtime community activist

TED JANKOWSKI: Host of a cable television show

KENDRICK D. KEMP: Took out petitions Thursday

DAYNE WALLING: President of the Flint Club and research fellow at the Genesee County Land Bank

DALE WEIGHILL: President of the Resource Center, an organization that assists local nonprofit agencies

MAYOR DON WILLIAMSON: Millionaire businessman elected mayor in 2003

Running for mayor
Petitions and other information are available at the city clerk's office, located on the second floor of City Hall, 1101 S. Saginaw St. in downtown Flint. Candidates must collect the signatures of 900 registered Flint voters on petitions to be put on the ballot. Petitions are due by 4 p.m. May 15.

FLINT - The race for mayor is officially on, and it already is a big one.

Seven people, including first-term Mayor Don Williamson, have joined the fray, and there's still four months for other candidates to jump in.

As of this week, candidates could pick up petitions from the city clerk's office to officially get in the race. That signals the start of a long election season.

Sure, the sheer number of candidates guarantees a big race, but, really, this election was destined to be the year's most-watched anyway.

After all, it features Williamson. Love him or hate him, he and his very deep pockets are attention-getters.

The election is a real test for Williamson. He successfully flexed his political muscle in 2005 by ousting a majority of City Council members but fell short last year when his wife, Patsy Lou, failed to win the Democratic nomination for an open state Senate seat.

Since being elected four years ago, Williamson has paved streets and even cleaned them on his own dime. The state takeover ended, and auditors confirmed a growing budget surplus.

So, can anybody actually beat him?

Yes, theoretically anyway, said Michael J. Carr, county clerk and longtime political insider.

"I don't know if any of the people who are thus far announced can do it. It is going to have to be a really good candidate who can raise money and appeal to both the black and white community," Carr said.

So far, Williamson faces a crew of citizen activists - most of whom have no real political experience.

Norm Bryant, a barbershop owner, is the exception. He's been involved for decades in everything from Atwood Stadium to the Afro-American Hall of Fame.

He won a seat on the Flint Board of Education in a citywide election, serving from 1991-97. He said he's not thinking about Williamson and declines to answer the question of whether he thinks the mayor can be defeated.

He focuses instead on his campaign and issues such as crime, unemployment, economic development and increasing Flint pride.

"I have a (virtual) Ph.D. out here in the community. That elevates me with anybody who is out there," Bryant said.

Williamson, a self-described multimillionaire, spent more than $350,000 on his campaign in 2003, when he trounced well-known former County Commissioner Floyd Clack.

"You know he'll do it again. He'll do whatever he has to," Carr said of Williamson's spending.

Five candidates made the ballot for the 2003 primary.

As for Williamson, he said the election will decide if he can be beat.

"I can't speak for the people of Flint," Williamson said. "I know that I've done the best job I can do."

Despite the power of Williamson's incumbency, name recognition and money, his penchant for never backing down from a fight helped forge the long line of competition Williamson now faces.

Among his most vocal enemies are members of the City Council, which heartily backed him when he was first elected.

But Williamson helped defeat many of those same council members in 2005 elections so he could again win a majority of support of the City Council.

Several very public spats later, he again faces a majority of adversaries on the council.

Candidates must collect 900 valid signatures from registered voters in Flint to get their name on the ballot for the nonpartisan battle in August.

As of Thursday, candidates who have picked up their petitions include Williamson, Bryant, cable television show host Ted Jankowski and Kendrick D. Kemp - although several others already have announced their intention to run.

For the record, though, Williamson already won one race. His campaign nabbed bragging rights by being the first to pick up petitions Wednesday.
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:47 pm 
Al G

Well, by the looks of the competition, Looks like it would be a first round KO for Williamson against any and all of them. He definately outweighs they all, Im sure!
Anyways, its to bad there isnt some young political heavyweight that would just come out swining, ready, willing and able to go the full 15 rounds with Dandy Don. Someone in the same weight class that could win a split decision and lead Flint to the promise land.
The problem is, even if all comers where to throw all their money behind one person, it still wouldnt be enough cash to beat The Buick City Czar...I can see it now, a bunch of shirtless muscle boys carrying Don into the Perani Rink, bikin wearing ring girls fanning him, with his crown all shiney sitting on silk pillows, throwing gold dust and money at all the fans. Boos reigning from the rafters. But once again Dandy Don will come out smelling like a rose, all the way to his second term! I cant believe you people actually like this guy!
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:49 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al G schreef:
Well, by the looks of the competition, Looks like it would be a first round KO for Williamson against any and all of them. He definately outweighs they all, Im sure!
Anyways, its to bad there isnt some young political heavyweight that would just come out swining, ready, willing and able to go the full 15 rounds with Dandy Don. Someone in the same weight class that could win a split decision and lead Flint to the promise land.
The problem is, even if all comers where to throw all their money behind one person, it still wouldnt be enough cash to beat The Buick City Czar...I can see it now, a bunch of shirtless muscle boys carrying Don into the Perani Rink, bikin wearing ring girls fanning him, with his crown all shiney sitting on silk pillows, throwing gold dust and money at all the fans. Boos reigning from the rafters. But once again Dandy Don will come out smelling like a rose, all the way to his second term! I cant believe you people actually like this guy!

this is me...I forgot to log in!! Have a good week to all!

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:51 pm 
Dave

LOL Ted running for mayor? Come on FOLKS!
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:27 pm 
Ted J

quote:
Dave LOL Ted running for mayor? Come on FOLKS!

Yeah I know, Why would a Leader of Marines be a good choice for Mayor? Why would someone with commonsense be a good choice for Mayor? But, then again, why not?
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:42 pm 
Jack

quote:
Ted J schreef:

quote:
Dave LOL Ted running for mayor? Come on FOLKS!

Yeah I know, Why would a Leader of Marines be a good choice for Mayor? Why would someone with commonsense be a good choice for Mayor? But, then again, why not?

No No No its not that, but rather your a cry baby, and always bitching about something..
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:33 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Hey I thought Adam Ford was running for Mayor? Why wasn't his name mentioned at all?

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
quote:
Al G schreef:

this is me...I forgot to log in!! Have a good week to all!

Glad you told us, I thought it may be another spoofer!! Hope all is well Al!

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Ted J schreef:
Yeah I know, Why would a Leader of Marines be a good choice for Mayor?

Ted:
If you are going to tout military experience people are going to call you on it and ask questions like:

How did your experience as Marines prepared you to be the Mayor of Flint?
How long were you active?
What was your MOS/Job??
Were you an NCO or enlisted?
How many Marines did you lead?
How many awards/certificates do you have and what are they for?
What military leadship school have you graduated from?

Last edited by Steve Myers on Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I haven't picked up the packet yet and I haven't done an "official" announcement. The campaign manager I wanted is also mad at me because I voted against affirmative action. I'll definately have to work on that though because we seem to have a lot of equality in Flint. Blacks and whites are all both struggling. Especially young people. I think ending racism is the answer to ending racism and not affirmative action. I also believe good government is the answer to bad government and not an ombudsman's office but I felt political action was the most important thing we needed in Flint and still need.

I think it would be hard to bring back a city without the right team and plan and place and I think it will be also very hard to win without the right campaign team in place.

I think people in Flint should really to be concerned about the situation we are facing. We are not heading in the right direction and I feel the candidates and citizens may not grasp the severity of the situation.
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:52 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yo Jack, Interesting that i've asked before what people like you think is crying? I see the Spin has begun! how about an example? How about a specfic case? Can't find one huh! Yeah, I know where the crying is coming from. Mostly from those that make statements without any facts to back it up. Then whinning that I'm being negative or mean! LOL Keep trying to paint me the way you want to. I know what I'm about.
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
LOL Keep trying to paint me the way you want to. I know what I'm about.
That sounds like the current mayor! I thought you wanted a change!
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:24 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/awc-mc07.htm

"(1) Effective Interpersonal Communication Skills. Both mentor and mentee must be able to adequately express to each other the messages they want to get across. Interpersonal communication is a dynamic, never-ending, two-way process that is oriented towards the receiver. Messages are written, spoken, verbal, and non-verbal. The receiver must listen, read, reflect, and respond. There are barriers to effective communication. In a mentoring connection, it is better for the mentor to avoid being authoritarian, admonishing, threatening, or too critical and negative. The mentor must strike the right balance between being overly harsh or coddling the mentee. Feedback is necessary for any communication loop to develop and operate properly. Encourage the mentee to discuss what is and isn't working for him or her. Mentor, ensure you understand and observe the mentee and his/her work so you can provide meaningful help and guidance."

Did they teach this to you in the marine corps Ted?
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:39 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Actually, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? Did they teach me mentoring or did they teach me communication skills? I'm not sure if you are attempting sarcasm or asking a clear question? Because, I cannot tell what your question is about.

Communication skills - See my website. SMEAC, BAMCIS, etc
Mentoring - actually I don't remember any particular program taught at the time I was in. There may have been. I know there is a Marine Corps League Program for "Junior Marines" and there are always programs around Marine Corps Bases that involve mentoring.

Does that answer your question? If not I'd be glad to add more.
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I was talking about communication skills. I did find this http://cityofflint.net/usmc_leadership.htm

Not to be mean but you really do seem a bit wordy at times.

What is SMEAC, BAMCIS?
Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:43 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: