FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michael Moore- The Awful Truth

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:03 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Adam are you a closeted Michael Moore Fan?

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Southside E
F L I N T O I D

Maybe Moore should bleat this garbage to the construction workers who aren't working in New Orleans-- because of the illegals who ARE?
Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:46 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

For once I must agree with Michael Moore on a fact (for a change) that no one seems to want to remember (or admit). President Clinton signed NAFTA. President Clinton signed NAFTA. President Clinton signed NAFTA. PRESIDENT CLINTON SIGNED NAFTA!!!

I'd also like to ask the question that no one will ask publicly. What makes a high school graduate, performing assembly work that takes little or no skills, worth $75-100K (total compensation package)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing unskilled laborers. I just want someone to explain to me why if I can hire someone to do a job at, just as an example, $2/hour, why then would I hire someone at a total cost of $40-50/hour?

And don't give me the standard line about doing good for the American worker, or because he "needs" it. I'm a corporation. The sole purpose of a corporation is to make a profit.
Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:16 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
For once I must agree with Michael Moore on a fact (for a change) that no one seems to want to remember (or admit). President Clinton signed NAFTA. President Clinton signed NAFTA. President Clinton signed NAFTA. PRESIDENT CLINTON SIGNED NAFTA!!!

I'd also like to ask the question that no one will ask publicly. What makes a high school graduate, performing assembly work that takes little or no skills, worth $75-100K (total compensation package)? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing unskilled laborers. I just want someone to explain to me why if I can hire someone to do a job at, just as an example, $2/hour, why then would I hire someone at a total cost of $40-50/hour?

And don't give me the standard line about doing good for the American worker, or because he "needs" it. I'm a corporation. The sole purpose of a corporation is to make a profit.

Gosh now to look back at NAFTA and remember Ross Perot saying " HEAR THAT SUCKING SOUND?"... Ross was right on, and people made fun of the guy. However, I believe he would of stopped/prevented millions of jobs from leaving this country!

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Southside E schreef:
Maybe Moore should bleat this garbage to the construction workers who aren't working in New Orleans-- because of the illegals who ARE?

You should tell him what you think.. Go to www.MichaelMoore.com

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 pm 
Intellect seeker

Can anyone help me,
There is a clip in "the awful truth" opening segment, the show intro
that depicts a bunch of asian men in suits at what looks to be a legal government affair, One guy is grabbing at the microphone and there are people pushing into eachother, what is this? where is it and why is it?

thank you anyone who knows
Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:54 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Intellect seeker schreef:
Can anyone help me,
There is a clip in "the awful truth" opening segment, the show intro
that depicts a bunch of asian men in suits at what looks to be a legal government affair, One guy is grabbing at the microphone and there are people pushing into eachother, what is this? where is it and why is it?

thank you anyone who knows

I recall some incidents from Asia, I believe earlier in 2006 ,where legislators got into fisticuffs/assaults on the chamber floor....

not certain the specifics, but IIRC, it might have been Taiwan, if not there, sometimes the South Koreans are fond of such dust-ups, since there is a lot of emotion around their relations with their North Korean relatives.

Try Taiwan first.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm 
christine
F L I N T O I D

quote:

I remember (and admit) that Clinton signed NAFTA, and many Democrats supported it. NAFTA gave the US some authority over the enforcement of Mexico's labor laws. Mexico's labor laws are actually quite good, and if enforced would raise the standard of living in Mexico. If NAFTA had been properly enforced, it should have reduced illegal immigration from Mexico into the US. Of course if you are only offering $2.00/hr to your employees, then you probably need illegal immigration.

NAFTA was somewhat enforced under Clinton. Under Bush 2 it is not enforced at all, which just makes the sucking sound louder. NAFTA under Clinton was not the same beast as NAFTA under Bush Jr.

NAFTA sucks but I can see why it looked good on paper to some people. (It's kinda like Autoworld in that regard)

Post Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070311/ap_en_mo/film_manufacturing_dissent;_ylt=AjXqsVurQ2OlCzcG2czTdKQDW7oF

AUSTIN, Texas - As documentary filmmakers, Debbie Melnyk and Rick Caine looked up to Michael Moore.

Then they tried to do a documentary of their own about him — and ran into the same sort of resistance Moore himself famously faces in his own films.

The result is "Manufacturing Dissent," which turns the camera on the confrontational documentarian and examines some of his methods. Among their revelations in the movie, which had its world premiere Saturday night at the South by Southwest film festival: That Moore actually did speak with then-General Motors chairman Roger Smith, the evasive subject of his 1989 debut "Roger & Me," but chose to withhold that footage from the final cut.

The husband-and-wife directors spent over two years making the movie, which follows Moore on his college tour promoting 2004's "Fahrenheit 9/11." The film shows Melnyk repeatedly approaching Moore for an interview and being rejected; members of Moore's team also kick the couple out of the audience at one of his speeches, saying they weren't allowed to be shooting there.

At their own premiere Saturday night, the Toronto-based filmmakers expected pro-Moore plants in the audience heckling or trying to otherwise sabotage the screening, but it turned out to be a tame affair.

"It went really well," Melnyk said. "People really liked the film and laughed at the right spots and got the movie and we're really happy about it."

Moore hasn't commented publicly on "Manufacturing Dissent" and Melnyk thinks he never will. He also hasn't responded to several calls and e-mails from The Associated Press.

"There's no point for Michael to respond to the film because then it gives it publicity," she said.

"(President) Bush didn't respond to `Fahrenheit 9/11,' and there's a reason for that," Caine added.

The two were and still are fans of all his movies — including the polarizing "Fahrenheit 9/11," which grossed over $119 million and won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival — and initially wanted to do a biography on him. They traveled to his childhood home of Davison, Mich., visited his high school and traced his early days in politics and journalism.

"The fact that he made documentaries entertaining was extremely influential and got all kinds of people out to see them," said Melnyk, whose previous films with Caine include 1998's "Junket Whore." "Let's face it, he made documentaries popular and that is great for all documentary filmmakers."

"All of these films — `Super Size Me,' `An Inconvenient Truth' — we've all been riding in his wake," said Caine. "There's a nonfiction film revolution going on and we're all beneficiaries of that. For that point alone, he's worth celebrating."

But after four months of unsuccessfully trying to sit down with Moore for an on-camera interview, they realized they needed to approach the subject from a different angle. They began looking at the process Moore employs in his films, and the deeper they dug, the more they began to question him.

The fact that Moore spoke with Smith, including a lengthy question-and-answer exchange during a May 1987 GM shareholders meeting, first was reported in a Premiere magazine article three years later. Transcripts of the discussion had been leaked to the magazine, and a clip of the meeting appeared in "Manufacturing Dissent." Moore also reportedly interviewed Smith on camera in January 1988 at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York.

Since then, in the years since "Roger & Me" put Moore on the map, those details seem to have been suppressed and forgotten.

"It was shocking, because to me that was the whole premise of `Roger & Me,'" Melnyk said.

She and Caine also had trouble finding people to talk on camera about Moore, partly because potential interview subjects assumed they were creating a right-wing attack piece; as self-proclaimed left-wingers, they weren't.

Despite what they've learned, the directors still appreciate Moore.

"We're a bit disappointed and disillusioned with Michael," Melnyk said, "but we are still very grateful to him for putting documentaries out there in a major way that people can go to a DVD store and they're right up there alongside dramatic features."

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:51 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: