FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Toyota may add 5 Noth America car plants: report

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070112/bs_nm/toyota_namerica_dc_1

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T), Japan's largest auto maker, may build up to five more vehicle assembly plants in North America in the next 10 years, Bloomberg news agency reported, citing people familiar with its plans.

Toyota would build at least one plant in the southeastern U.S. and one in Mexico, the report said.

"Consumer demand will determine how many cars we build in North America," Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said in response to the report. "If we need to build more, we will build more."

Toyota, which may claim the title of the world's biggest auto maker from General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) this year, has said that it is considering expanding its manufacturing capacity and is reviewing locations.

The remarks came after the Wall Street Journal reported last week that Toyota might name a site in the southern United States for its eighth North American assembly plant as early as this month.

The Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun newspaper said on Friday that Toyota was in the final stage of discussions to build the plant in Georgia. The plant would have an annual output capacity of 200,000 units and most likely assemble SUVs, it said.

Last year, Toyota and Honda shipped a record number of vehicles from Japan to the United States as their North American factories failed to keep up with demand.
Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:42 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Build one In Flint I say

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Build one In Flint I say

Easily said, Ryan. But one might ask: Given our history of labor relations, not to mention the fact that this is still a GM town, where the purchase of a "foreign" car can still bring great disdain (if not bodily harm), why on earth would Toyota even consider Flint?
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:09 pm 

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
But one might ask: Given our history of labor relations, not to mention the fact that this is still a GM town, where the purchase of a "foreign" car can still bring great disdain (if not bodily harm), why on earth would Toyota even consider Flint?
Because Flint is needy and desperate, because many GM workers have retired or left the area, because there are others left in this town who need work and are willing to work, because Flint needs the tax base, because we need more energy efficient vehicles. Without getting into a union argument, the unions helped GM workers get medical benefits which have had such a spiraling cost it has in turn put GM into a downward spiral. The health care crisis needs to be brought under control so every individual has access when they need it, without having to rely on employers to pay for it. If this problem gets successfully addressed we might have more business willing to venture into Flint. The very fact health care is demanded of employers is enough to thwart many ventures. Coming from a GM family, two of whom are recent retirees not old enough to retire, I would welcome Toyota to our city. We need business and industry here.
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Guest schreef:
quote:
But one might ask: Given our history of labor relations, not to mention the fact that this is still a GM town, where the purchase of a "foreign" car can still bring great disdain (if not bodily harm), why on earth would Toyota even consider Flint?
Because Flint is needy and desperate, because many GM workers have retired or left the area, because there are others left in this town who need work and are willing to work, because Flint needs the tax base, because we need more energy efficient vehicles. Without getting into a union argument, the unions helped GM workers get medical benefits which have had such a spiraling cost it has in turn put GM into a downward spiral. The health care crisis needs to be brought under control so every individual has access when they need it, without having to rely on employers to pay for it. If this problem gets successfully addressed we might have more business willing to venture into Flint. The very fact health care is demanded of employers is enough to thwart many ventures. Coming from a GM family, two of whom are recent retirees not old enough to retire, I would welcome Toyota to our city. We need business and industry here.

I too would welcome Toyota with open arms...I'd probably even buy one for a change (never driven anything but GM, and I've only bought about 20 new ones in my lifetime) but all of the reasons you list are reasons we need Toyota...not why Toyota needs us. I say again, why would Toyota even consider Flint?
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:24 pm 

quote:
. . . all of the reasons you list are reasons we need Toyota...not why Toyota needs us. I say again, why would Toyota even consider Flint?
Here you go, doesn't Flint have this:

quote:
Toyota is looking for several attributes that it must have nearby to open a plant, Sieger said, including:

• the right piece of land: Experts say it could need between 1,500 and 2,000 acres.

• an interstate highway nearby.

• ready access to rail. About 75 percent of the company's cars are shipped by rail.

• a good available work force.

• a site not close to the company's other factories.

• financial incentives.

"Incentives are something that we do indeed look at," Sieger said. "But anybody who tells you they are the main (deciding factor) doesn't know what they are talking about. In all of our recent expansions we have not taken the highest incentives offered to us -- incentives are important to help you with the training and various infrastructure, but we have to define incentives that are in line with the local community."

See the full article at http://tinyurl.com/ywzhdv
Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:06 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Toyota is looking for several attributes that it must have nearby to open a plant, Sieger said, including:

• the right piece of land: Experts say it could need between 1,500 and 2,000 acres.

• ready access to rail. About 75 percent of the company's cars are shipped by rail.

• financial incentives.

I disagree with the experts. I think Toyota could get by with 235 acres to squeeze a "small" plant onto. Also where the heck can you find 2,000 acres laying around that's not in the boonies? We have 3 interstates nearby. I'm sure Buick city has easy access to rail. Toyota would easily get 10,000 applicants and I'm sure many of the laid of GM workers are qualified. We're not close to the other factories but are between the Toyota's Lexus plant in Ontario and they Camry plant down south. I'm sure Flint and Michigan would bend over backwards with financial incentives.

In addition I do believe Flint has one of the most underutilized infrastructures in the naion. Anyone ever been to Seattle, Florida or Southern California? We should also be able to supply cheap labor and allow our right to be unemployed laws and unions are a negative, Toyota they could easily shift production overseas if the need arose. I personally feel Toyota would be dumb not to locate here.

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:10 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Guest schreef:
quote:
. . . all of the reasons you list are reasons we need Toyota...not why Toyota needs us. I say again, why would Toyota even consider Flint?
Here you go, doesn't Flint have this:

quote:

• financial incentives.

"Incentives are something that we do indeed look at," Sieger said. "But anybody who tells you they are the main (deciding factor) doesn't know what they are talking about. In all of our recent expansions we have not taken the highest incentives offered to us -- incentives are important to help you with the training and various infrastructure, but we have to define incentives that are in line with the local community."

See the full article at http://tinyurl.com/ywzhdv

I'm no real estate expert, but I certainly couldn't point to a 1,500 to 2,000 acre parcel available in Flint. Buick City was only 235 acres. According to wikipedia, Flint is 34.1 square miles which equates to 21,824 acres. That makes a 2,000 acre parcel nearly 10% of the entire city. And I think a "good available work force" is debatable. Certainly an available work force (albeit much smaller than 10 years ago), but I again point to our long history of poor labor relations.
Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:21 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam Ford schreef:

quote:

• financial incentives.

I disagree with the experts. I think Toyota could get by with 235 acres to squeeze a "small" plant onto. Also where the heck can you find 2,000 acres laying around that's not in the boonies? We have 3 interstates nearby. I'm sure Buick city has easy access to rail. Toyota would easily get 10,000 applicants and I'm sure many of the laid of GM workers are qualified. We're not close to the other factories but are between the Toyota's Lexus plant in Ontario and they Camry plant down south. I'm sure Flint and Michigan would bend over backwards with financial incentives.

In addition I do believe Flint has one of the most underutilized infrastructures in the naion. Anyone ever been to Seattle, Florida or Southern California? We should also be able to supply cheap labor and allow our right to be unemployed laws and unions are a negative, Toyota they could easily shift production overseas if the need arose. I personally feel Toyota would be dumb not to locate here.

Just curious what knowledge or experience you have with automotive manufacturing to tell Toyota they really only need 10% of the space they think they need for a new facility? I tend to agree that they would be overwhelmed with applicants, just not sure we would supply them with "cheap labor"...I know a lot of people around here who would rather sit on their arse than work for less than $20 an hour. I'm not sure about rail access to Buick City...an awful lot of track has been ripped up in the last 20 years. Again, I don't have a clue why they would risk having to deal with the union when they can build almost anywhere else in the country without that threat looming over their heads. You know if they did build here the unions would be climbing over each other to get into that plant and Toyota officials can't be so stupid as to not know that.
Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:30 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: