FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: GM chief 'positive' about Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

GM chief 'positive' about Flint
DETROIT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
By Matt Bach
mbach@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6330

DETROIT - In the downsizing of General Motors in the past 20 years, Flint has taken the brunt of it, Rick Wagoner, GM's chairman and chief executive officer, acknowledged Monday.

But Wagoner said GM needs Flint's continued support of the remaining plants here for the automaker to succeed in the future.

Wagoner, who spoke briefly to The Flint Journal during previews for the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, answered questions about GM's Flint Truck Assembly Plant and the role the Flint area will play in the future of the world's No. 1 automaker.

"I'm very positive (about Flint)," Wagoner said. "I think they've done a very good job in the (truck plant) facility. But you're right, if anyplace, kind of in the GM system, has felt the brunt of the change in the industry over the last 20 years, it's Flint - there's no doubt about it.

"It's been a tough time for that community."

The Flint truck plant, with about 3,000 workers, is GM's sole source for heavy-duty crew-cab pickups and medium-duty commercial trucks. It is expected to add about 180 workers as it prepares to build the new GMT900-model trucks for GM.

The Van Slyke Road factory is Genesee County's only vehicle assembly plant.

Standing near the Cadillac exhibit shortly after the unveiling of the 2008 Cadillac CTS, Wagoner said Flint's resiliency is a good example of what GM as a company needs to do.

"I think it says a lot about the community that people are coming into that plant every day and continuing to improve quality and productivity," he said.

"Historically, there's been some labor tensions, but to be honest, I think we've worked pretty well with the locals (unions) there.

"So we appreciate that kind of support. It's that kind of stuff that eventually is going to get us behind the constant downsizing and hopefully provide a little more stable future."

Wagoner said he does see Flint having a role in GM's future.

"We've got a major commitment to the truck plant up there and have no plans to change that at all," he said.

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets hope they keep what we have, and maybe open something new!
We need more jobs here badly, it would be a huge deal if we could land a new factory!

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

keep in mind, our area supports the world HQ for GM Service Parts & Operations. Tool & Die and the Grand Blanc Metal Ass'y plant, though operations there are much reduced, IIRC.

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:29 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
keep in mind, our area supports the world HQ for GM Service Parts & Operations. Tool & Die and the Grand Blanc Metal Ass'y plant, though operations there are much reduced, IIRC.

Isn't it true we still have one of the highest amount of GM/DELPHI jobs than anywhere else?

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:31 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: