FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Historic District Commission may have violated state law
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

The following excerpt is from an article posted on East Village Magazine's web site.

It is a more elaborate story than the one that will be in the magazine's January 13 issue.

Historic District Commission may have violated state law

By Gregory J. Vanucci

The Flint Historic District Commission appears to have violated the Michigan Open Meetings Act numerous times in matters related to the Flint Cultural Center Corporation’s plans to demolish or move four of the six houses that make up the historically significant Manning Street Historic District to build a parking lot for the Flint Institute of Music.

In addition, City Attorney Trachelle Young, various law department staff, the community and economic development department’s head and various supervisors and staff also appear to have violated the act.

To read the rest of the story, please visit www.eastvillagemagazine.org

To find the story, click on the above link to the site's home page. Scroll down until just before you get to the news releases.

The title is Historic District Commission may have violated state law

The story will be moved to the top of the home page when the site is updated to include the January issue.

1-11-07 The January issue is on line. This story is now at the top of the home page and is also on the news page. Also, you will always be able to find this story in the archives by doing a keyword search.

Last edited by GregoryJVanucci on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh

Greg get a life already, you keep writing stuff on that shitty web site that nobody reads.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:03 am 
Joe Moe

Should you call the attorney general or prosectutor about this Greg?
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:39 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

As Chairman of the Flint Historic District Commission I felt I must respond to this thread. The fact of the matter is all our minutes are public record, and can be attained at City Hall. All our meetings are open to the public, and a audio tape is recorded and kept at city hall for permanent record.

I encourage others to attend our meetings and get involved in saving our history! And as always I am here to talk to anyone with questions!

Ryan M. Eashoo

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Michael Freeman

Greg, at the special meeting, the police officer arrived prior to the meeting, and a replacement arrived just after the meeting adjouned. He was not there to eject anyone, he was there to protect my mother from you because of threats and harrassment, among other things.

I suppport saving Manning Street and will be involved in the effort. Please help this effort out by stopping the abuse of my mother and
city staff person and focus on the people who are doing wrong.. She is only staff and not involved in the bad decision making by some of the commissioners.

Thanks.
Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 pm 
Don

quote:
Michael Freeman schreef:
Greg, at the special meeting, the police officer arrived prior to the meeting, and a replacement arrived just after the meeting adjouned. He was not there to eject anyone, he was there to protect my mother from you because of threats and harrassment, among other things.

I suppport saving Manning Street and will be involved in the effort. Please help this effort out by stopping the abuse of my mother and
city staff person and focus on the people who are doing wrong.. She is only staff and not involved in the bad decision making by some of the commissioners.

Thanks.

\

Damn he layed into your ass Greg, I would stop harrasing his mother if I were you. You could get a restraining order pulled against you .
Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:57 pm 
Go Powers

quote:
Michael Freeman schreef:

Thanks.

Ive known Greg vfor years and I don't know anyone nicer or kinder.

He IS a smart ass and he thinks he's funnier than he is, so his mouth gets him in trouble sometimes. He's pissed me off more than once.

But he would NOT harrass or threaten anyone.

It's o.k. to be protective of your mom, but thats still no reason to bad mouth anyone. Especially when youre only hearing "moms side."

Greg won't defend himself, but I'm not so nice.

Read the story. If she was so worried, why did she wait till he objected before calling the police? Seems like odd timing. Greg said he didnt even raise his voice.

Plus, isnt your mom the one who got in trouble for passing out confidential information.

And, if your mom was breaking the law then, why not now? If she knows shes breaking the law she's a criminal and if she doesnt know shes breaking the law then shes stupid.

I dont know your mom but she sounds like a nut!!!!

Leave the poor guy alone. He's only doing his job!

AND GET YOUR MOM SOME HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:41 pm 
Michael Freeman

How would you know how he has acted if you were not there? Strong words from a non-credible source (oh great and all knowing Friend-of-Greg). I have been at the meetings and I know every bit of what is going on. I do not need to read the story – I am involved with the people that are putting forward the injunction to prevent the demolition. I even helped create the presentation to the Historic District Commission that demonstrates that there are options to demolition and preservation of the homes on Manning Street.

I did not need to read the story – I was there. And she did not call the police on him as he reported. This, in fact was incorrect and added to the drama of Greg’s story. The police officer was there as protection for staff – as the director of the office felt that her staff were being threatened by Greg. Shall we go over the tape of the meeting, would that prove it?

You are incorrect that she has ‘gotten into trouble for passing out confidential information.’ Which orifice did you pull this information from?

And what law is she breaking Matlock? You are basing your legal opinions on a, let’s face it, biased account of a meeting where someone is using pretty gritty tactics to demonstrate a point that is being ignored by the media. Strange we are on the same team - however I do not support the abuse of any city staff that incidentally is involved in this fiasco created by 3 (sometimes 4) errant historic district commissioners.

What kind of help would you suggest? A lawyer to sue for defamation of character perhaps? Please note that the hard copy version of this story does not mention people, names or the detail as presented in the online version. Why the edits now?

I’ll tell you what you are, your a filthy mouth that spews crap because you lack the intellectual capacity to collect information, use reason and provide intelligent discourse. Perhaps you are the ‘nut’ who needs help.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:30 am 
Leanne

Well, I have tried to stay out of these talk forums, since I am so deep in this political nightmare already- but this has gone too far..... I am a Historic District Commissioner (HDC) for the City of Flint serving my second term. I take my oath to maintain and preserve our remaining historic resources very seriously, and yes, I am one of the NO votes to the demolition of Manning Court.

What I can't understand is- what is all of this banter about?!? If we are “all on the same side” why is there all of this mud slinging? Why are we not pooling our energy, ideas and determination towards the subject at hand- SAVING MANNING COURT?!?

I’m not sure how anyone can make statements about a situation they were not involved in or witness to- I personally am not threatened by Greg, but I understand that the police were at the meeting due to an uncomfortable confrontation that occurred between Greg and City staff earlier that week…. I was not there and that’s all I know. Due to the knowledge that the commission was planning on going into Executive Session (which was not a unanimous decision among the commissioners), the police presence was there to ensure that there were no additional uncomfortable confrontations… Considering the emotion connected with this particular subject, in addition to the passed unsettling issues dealt with in other circumstances, I did not feel that the call for police presence was over reacting.

I have to admit, Greg has been a little pit bull regarding digging up information and inconsistencies and asking the down and dirty questions …and there is much to thank Greg for regarding his tenacity…. BUT- I have said this to Greg and now I am saying this publicly- City staff IS NOT the problem here. She needs to be kept out of this political cesspool and left alone to do her job! LEAVE CAROL ALONE!

The City of Flint’s Department of Community and Economic Development’s staff is doing their best to keep up with amazing responsibilities of the department in addition to the piles of paperwork, despite being understaffed. For almost a year, the Historic District went without City support and I can say that not having this help as well as a link to the city made it considerably difficult to function. To know that the responsibility of assisting the Commission was placed on an already full plate- is one thing, but then to add this unnecessary harassment and slander to it- is unthinkable. Carol’s skills, insight and knowledge bring more to the table than some of my fellow commissioners. Without the available overtime, we do not have the privilege and expertise of a building inspector (HDC’S enforcement department) presence at our meetings. Carol has been able to answer technical questions during plan reviews, which enabled us to move forward with a ruling.

Needless to say, there is no glory being a part of the Historic District Commission – or staff that serve the commission. It’s a steep uphill battle to do the right thing. A commissioner is appointed to uphold guidelines and laws that very few in this city respect, let alone, follow. Commissioners have been harassed, threatened, assaulted as well as victims of the destruction of their personal property… all in the name of unfavorable decisions in the eyes of the property owner. But we must strive to be unbiased, fair and follow the Secretary of Interior Standards. So, all we can hope is that all appointed commissioners share this value of ‘doing the right thing’ and keep their personal life and relationships out of it.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:03 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Go Powers schreef:
quote:
Michael Freeman schreef:

Thanks.

Ive known Greg vfor years and I don't know anyone nicer or kinder.

He IS a smart ass and he thinks he's funnier than he is, so his mouth gets him in trouble sometimes. He's pissed me off more than once.

But he would NOT harrass or threaten anyone.

It's o.k. to be protective of your mom, but thats still no reason to bad mouth anyone. Especially when youre only hearing "moms side."

Greg won't defend himself, but I'm not so nice.

Read the story. If she was so worried, why did she wait till he objected before calling the police? Seems like odd timing. Greg said he didnt even raise his voice.

Plus, isnt your mom the one who got in trouble for passing out confidential information.

And, if your mom was breaking the law then, why not now? If she knows shes breaking the law she's a criminal and if she doesnt know shes breaking the law then shes stupid.

I dont know your mom but she sounds like a nut!!!!

Leave the poor guy alone. He's only doing his job!

AND GET YOUR MOM SOME HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is obviously Greg posting this I would bet. I happen to disagree that any law has been broken, and I encourage you to file suit if any has. We try to run The Flint Historic Commission as best we can. Our Staff person Carol Freeman is not only the best staff person I have had the pleasure of working with. Its a sad day when she gets harrased for doing her job, and going above and beyound.

Greg's reporting is like the FOX new channel, very one sided.

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:07 pm 
Leanne

For those who are actually interested in Saving Manning Court... Check out SaveManningCourt.com for the history of the area as well as the current standing on the issue at hand. All the contact information is BLOGGED for your convenience- if you feel the need to make your voice heard.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:37 pm 
Go Powers

quote:
Michael Freeman schreef:
How would you know how he has acted if you were not there? Strong words from a non-credible source (oh great and all knowing Friend-of-Greg). I have been at the meetings and I know every bit of what is going on. I do not need to read the story – I am involved with the people that are putting forward the injunction to prevent the demolition. I even helped create the presentation to the Historic District Commission that demonstrates that there are options to demolition and preservation of the homes on Manning Street.

I did not need to read the story – I was there. And she did not call the police on him as he reported. This, in fact was incorrect and added to the drama of Greg’s story. The police officer was there as protection for staff – as the director of the office felt that her staff were being threatened by Greg. Shall we go over the tape of the meeting, would that prove it?

You are incorrect that she has ‘gotten into trouble for passing out confidential information.’ Which orifice did you pull this information from?

And what law is she breaking Matlock? You are basing your legal opinions on a, let’s face it, biased account of a meeting where someone is using pretty gritty tactics to demonstrate a point that is being ignored by the media. Strange we are on the same team - however I do not support the abuse of any city staff that incidentally is involved in this fiasco created by 3 (sometimes 4) errant historic district commissioners.

What kind of help would you suggest? A lawyer to sue for defamation of character perhaps? Please note that the hard copy version of this story does not mention people, names or the detail as presented in the online version. Why the edits now?

I’ll tell you what you are, your a filthy mouth that spews crap because you lack the intellectual capacity to collect information, use reason and provide intelligent discourse. Perhaps you are the ‘nut’ who needs help.

Your a loser, nobody likes you in town. Your mouth blabs stuff for hours, people are sick of it. Greg is a good person, back off him. Your mom is a grown woman she should take care of her self.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 pm 
Jackie

Greg is a journalist with the highest degree of ethics!
I am more worried about you, Leanne and Ryan Eashu.
Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:49 pm 
Who Cares

quote:
Leanne schreef:
Well, I have tried to stay out of these talk forums, since I am so deep in this political nightmare already- but this has gone too far..... I am a Historic District Commissioner (HDC) for the City of Flint serving my second term. I take my oath to maintain and preserve our remaining historic resources very seriously, and yes, I am one of the NO votes to the demolition of Manning Court.

What I can't understand is- what is all of this banter about?!? If we are “all on the same side” why is there all of this mud slinging? Why are we not pooling our energy, ideas and determination towards the subject at hand- SAVING MANNING COURT?!?

I’m not sure how anyone can make statements about a situation they were not involved in or witness to- I personally am not threatened by Greg, but I understand that the police were at the meeting due to an uncomfortable confrontation that occurred between Greg and City staff earlier that week…. I was not there and that’s all I know. Due to the knowledge that the commission was planning on going into Executive Session (which was not a unanimous decision among the commissioners), the police presence was there to ensure that there were no additional uncomfortable confrontations… Considering the emotion connected with this particular subject, in addition to the passed unsettling issues dealt with in other circumstances, I did not feel that the call for police presence was over reacting.

I have to admit, Greg has been a little pit bull regarding digging up information and inconsistencies and asking the down and dirty questions …and there is much to thank Greg for regarding his tenacity…. BUT- I have said this to Greg and now I am saying this publicly- City staff IS NOT the problem here. She needs to be kept out of this political cesspool and left alone to do her job! LEAVE CAROL ALONE!

The City of Flint’s Department of Community and Economic Development’s staff is doing their best to keep up with amazing responsibilities of the department in addition to the piles of paperwork, despite being understaffed. For almost a year, the Historic District went without City support and I can say that not having this help as well as a link to the city made it considerably difficult to function. To know that the responsibility of assisting the Commission was placed on an already full plate- is one thing, but then to add this unnecessary harassment and slander to it- is unthinkable. Carol’s skills, insight and knowledge bring more to the table than some of my fellow commissioners. Without the available overtime, we do not have the privilege and expertise of a building inspector (HDC’S enforcement department) presence at our meetings. Carol has been able to answer technical questions during plan reviews, which enabled us to move forward with a ruling.

Needless to say, there is no glory being a part of the Historic District Commission – or staff that serve the commission. It’s a steep uphill battle to do the right thing. A commissioner is appointed to uphold guidelines and laws that very few in this city respect, let alone, follow. Commissioners have been harassed, threatened, assaulted as well as victims of the destruction of their personal property… all in the name of unfavorable decisions in the eyes of the property owner. But we must strive to be unbiased, fair and follow the Secretary of Interior Standards. So, all we can hope is that all appointed commissioners share this value of ‘doing the right thing’ and keep their personal life and relationships out of it.
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 am 

quote:
Leanne schreef:

Carol should fight her own battles, this doesn't make things better.
Greg knows how to do his reporting, and does it very well.
It's a sad day when a gay man and woman get involved in something
that isn't their business. This is why Flint sucks
Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:12 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: