FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Journal Get's it WRONG again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

This editorial board must sit around smoking crack before they begin to write their editorials!

From the Story BELOW! "Flint's homicide total alone climbed to 54 in 2006, which mirrored a national pattern of rising violence that has police agencies sounding alarms." Where do they dream this stuff up! Flint is not mirroring anywhere in the USA! Especially the National Averages!! http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/viortrdtab.htm Why do they cover up facts and then make up their own!

Then they ask "But where is the outrage" Well Where have they been? Many of us have gone as far as starting creating or using alternative media outlets because of the Journal’s failure to report facts! To help point out where the problems are in the system or LAW Enforcement in Flint! Mostly because of their fear of loosing highly lucrative advertising from the despot in chief of Flint! They go out of their way to not report the truth. Then ignore the real problems with fighting crime in Flint and make up completely illogical ones.

The one thing they mention that did make sense was the gang replacement for the family. All the rest was complete nonsense! How do people get outraged when they attempt to keep people misinformed about the actual problems!

Then to say "There also are too few police, local officials like to point out," And what nonsense is that! There isn't any place for police to put these criminals. They Catch and release more criminals in a day that all the fisherman in Michigan do. WHY? Because, if you have 1000 criminals and 2000 cops. But only 50 spaces to put the criminals in the Jail. It doesn't matter how many officers you have! LOGIC people!

I am encouraged by part of their solution! It as least on track "That should start by listing every person, program, agency and church claiming any part of the remedy. This might not result in a cure, but we'd be closer to one than we are now. " But not just list them. Use them, use the cures. Listing and talking about it for years leaves us just where we are now!

Curbing killings
Rising violence requires a more coordinated response
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, January 04, 2007
One would like to think that new or long-running law enforcement and family-strengthening programs are doing some good to improve an environment that produced 67 Genesee County homicides last year. But we'd hesitate to point to any success story.

Indeed, we wonder if anything is working particularly well with the spike in slayings in recent years. Flint's homicide total alone climbed to 54 in 2006, which mirrored a national pattern of rising violence that has police agencies sounding alarms. Besides more robberies and aggravated assaults, the U.S., according to one report, recorded 80,000 murders the past five years. Not that it's analogous, but this carnage dwarfs the 3,000 U.S. servicemen and women killed in Iraq since 2003.

And there's no suggestion this trend will turn around, certainly not locally as Flint took just two days to notch its first slaying of 2007. On Tuesday, police found the body of a man in a bullet-riddled car. Typically, the victim was relatively young - 26 - yet older than many killed in Flint last year. Fifteen were 19 or less.

But where is the outrage - from any quarter - as a result of this senseless slaughter? No modern society should be able to tolerate this level of violence, we'd like to believe. Unfortunately, there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary, as we see no broadly orchestrated effort to attack the epidemic of family dysfunction that is at the root of this sociopathic behavior.

The psychological term fits, say people in law enforcement, because slayings nowadays require almost no motive. To be sure, many stem from fights over illegal drugs or sales territory, but failure to show "respect" is a common cause, too, where even the wrong "look" can result in death. Related to this phenomenon is retaliatory killing, where gang friends of someone shot return the favor.

Gang culture driving much of the violence is both a cause and a symptom of the depth of the problem. Gangs supplant families that don't work and in many cases barely formed. In neighborhoods without fathers, where grandparents take over for mothers, and where children often are neglected or abused, is it any wonder that anger and violence result?

This cultural-crime catastrophe is nothing new, but it's getting worse. Yet it hasn't triggered a coordinated response. Rather, we see scattershot efforts among law enforcement, educational and social agencies attacking the problem, with different degrees of success, and many not knowing what the other is doing.

There also are too few police, local officials like to point out, because the Bush administration cut a Clinton-era program funding local cops. True enough, but what prevents local and state governments from raising revenue to provided this manpower?

However, more police is only part of the answer. The cultural crisis producing wave after wave of violent lawbreakers has to be addressed comprehensively. That should start by listing every person, program, agency and church claiming any part of the remedy. This might not result in a cure, but we'd be closer to one than we are now.

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:14 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:31 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Maybe they're trying to say re-elect Don Williamson because he is about the only one with money to advertise in our newspaper. If we get someone else elected they will not have all that money to keep us in business. lol

I do think local cops are more important than Iraq though as are many other things like feeding our people and cutting taxes.

The journal is also right about the acceptance. People in Flint seem to accept mediocrity, failure, murders and poor police investigations that do not solve half the murders. Acceptance in failure seems to be part of Flint's culture to the point getting one or two things accomplished as mayor deserves re-election.
Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:07 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

My only real point being that crime and Violence in Flint doesn't MIRROR anywhere in the USA or any NATIONAL PATTERNS! Also that the Major media in Flint Accepts this mediocrity and distorts the truth. There by being the POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK! Ie the people should be outraged! The only problem is they won't tell the people the truth about why they should be outraged! It's hard to tell people they need to be outraged about crime when they themselves only repeat quotes from the Mayor or proclaim him as trying to do something about crime when they know full good and well that he has been abusing his authority and misusing the police department since he took over. Thereby giving him a "BYE" when it comes to crime by claiming it mirrors some imaginary pattern nationwide!

Back to my whole thing about first knowing the what the problem really is, before you can fix it! Since they make excuses instead of pointing out the problem and they are the Major player. They are failing in their responsibility to inform the public!
Post Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
dave guest

If you want to get rid of crime start at home & teach these kids/parents how to get along with other people and teach them somr respect.
Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:56 pm 
Ted J

quote:
dave guest schreef:
If you want to get rid of crime start at home & teach these kids/parents how to get along with other people and teach them somr respect.

Excellent! So let me ask, Is that Governments job? Or is that the Churches?
Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:33 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted J schreef:
quote:
dave guest schreef:

Excellent! So let me ask, Is that Governments job? Or is that the Churches?

It's your job, it's my job, it's everyone's job. It begins within ourselves by setting good examples and following The Golden Rule, by being respectful of one another. It's actually no wonder some people, including kids, have no respect for anyone considering the examples being set by certain of our leaders.
Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:10 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I would agree again. Teach the golden rule!

However, I don't have kids. I've tried mentoring some. But ultimately it takes the parents support! Thus I believe for the community to make a differenc. It would require some churches help working with those families and in the schools. I think it can be done! But I don't know of anyone who has actually tried it. While it seems logical. It's be a risk to attempt and make work!
Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:19 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:36 am 
DELETED

DELETED

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:58 am 

In Larry's Post, source not identified: "Boston logged 74 homicides last year, 54 of them shootings. There were 51 fatal shootings the year before, when the city had 75 homicides, a 10-year high."

Here ya go, Ted, higher than Flint's homicides last year!
Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:41 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Guest schreef:
In Larry's Post, source not identified: "Boston logged 74 homicides last year, 54 of them shootings. There were 51 fatal shootings the year before, when the city had 75 homicides, a 10-year high."

Here ya go, Ted, higher than Flint's homicides last year!

Boston — Population: 600,000
Flint — Population:124,471

Big difference.

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:35 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: