FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Genesee County Historical Society, corporation info

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

THE GENESEE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, http://tinyurl.com/yednej
ID Num: 724069
Entity Name: THE GENESEE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Type of Entity: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation
Resident Agent: SALLY JAEGER
Formed Under Act Number(s): 327-1931
Incorporation/Qualification Date: 10-18-1945
Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN
Number of Shares: 0
Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 03
Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 03

2003 Nonprofit Corporation Information Update
Resident Agent: Sally Jaeger
President: Sally Jaeger
Secy David White
Treas. Earl D. Johnson
VP --
Director: Morley Biesman
--
#4. Describe the purpose and activities of the corporation during the year covered by this report: Historical recourse and preservation of historical materials for Genesee County .
Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:26 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Hey OOSL2...did you read the post or just copy and paste? You do see where it says the Genesee County Historical Society has been dissolved as of 10/01/06. I wonder if the board members know that? Oh wait, if there is no entity, I guess there can't be board members!
Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:
Hey OOSL2...did you read the post or just copy and paste? You do see where it says the Genesee County Historical Society has been dissolved as of 10/01/06. I wonder if the board members know that? Oh wait, if there is no entity, I guess there can't be board members!

Laughing Yes, I did read it, and that's exactly why I posted it. Thanks for noticing. Not only that, if it's a responsible organization why haven't annual reports been filed since 2003? Is real estate considered "historical material" and what was the original purpose of the organization? The original name included "Museum" but the name was changed. There's lots more. Check the original Articles of Incorporation and Amendments.

According to the Register of Deeds and the City of Flint's parcel lookup (not posted to date, of course), the Flint Cultural Center Corp. owns the houses on Manning Court (as a result of donations) except the one owned by the June Hauser Trust. June Hauser died Aug. 14, 2006 leaving children living in Virginia, Illinois, California, New York, Maryland, and California.

Therese McConnell (one of June's daughters) of Chicago, and the Genesee County Historical Society are represented by a Detroit lawyer in a lawsuit filed on November 27, 2006 in the Genesee County Circuit Court against the Flint Historic District Commission and the Flint Cultural Center Corporation.

Emilie Hauser (another of June's daughters) of Kingston, NY, wrote a letter to the editor of The Flint Journal published on Dec. 21, 2006 saying "I have inherited the house along with my six siblings." It's possible the Register of Deeds and City of Flint just don't have their information updated yet. If all six are owners, why aren't they all listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit? Are they all so passionate about preserving the house at 1027 Manning Court for the Flint Historic District? Shouldn't there be a consensus of all the owners to file a lawsuit?

Has anyone who's interested in this historical preservation argument, especially those living out of state who have posted here and never seen the property, actually looked at a map of the subject property? Check out the Google map or Google Earth for 1027 Manning Court, Flint, MI. Better yet, look here

Flint Cultural Center - Map
http://www.flintculturalcenter.org/maps.html

at the layout of the Flint Cultural Center and the Manning Court properties. Then ask yourself what makes the most sense? Who is living in those Manning Court properties now? Emilie Hauser also wrote in her Letter to the Editor, "On my visits to Flint, I have watched the houses deteriorate from neglect." I ask, "Who's responsible?" Tenants or owners? So it goes with too many properties in this city.

Based primarily on the foregoing information I'm inclined to favor the Flint Cultural Center.
Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:51 am 
Harry Alphabet

quote:
FlintConservative schreef:

The State of Mich plays rather loose with corporate renewals. In fact an organization can wait several years, then file their renewal for several years all at once. They just need to pay the fee for each year.

Also, the state changed some rules a few years ago. I dont think officers need to be listed every year now.

Also, also, if the group's income is below a certain level, I believe they dont need to keep renewing at all.
Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:58 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Harry Alphabet schreef:
The State of Mich plays rather loose with corporate renewals. In fact an organization can wait several years, then file their renewal for several years all at once. They just need to pay the fee for each year.

Also, the state changed some rules a few years ago. I dont think officers need to be listed every year now.

Also, also, if the group's income is below a certain level, I believe they dont need to keep renewing at all.

Nonprofit Corporation Information Update is required annually. There is a checkbox on the form to certify there are no changes from previous filing. If resident agent and/or registered office, or officer and director information has changed since previous filing, the changed information must be provided. The 2006 filing fee was $20. I've not heard income level related to the need for a nonprofit to file an annual update.

If corporation has been dissolved automatically for failure to file reports after being notified by the administrator, the delinquent reports can be filed with payment of filing fees and penalties as long as no other business has incorporated in the meantime using that same corporate name.

If The Genesee County Historical Society considers itself an active organization it seems to me the responsible parties would keep their records current and available for public inspection. An automatic dissolution ( with notice , for failure to file annual reports since 2003 implies that it's not an active organization and so it's surprising to me that it would participate as plaintiff in any lawsuit--particularly being represented by an attorney outside its resident county. The "clean hands" concept comes to mind but surely that wouldn't apply here. If anyone here knows the directors personally perhaps they could put a bug in their ear to get those reports filed and save themselves some embarrassment in the pending lawsuit.
Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

good advice there, used Saturn.

GOT THAT RYAN EASHOO?

get your Historic Commission paperwork in order before the poop hits the fan.

otherwise, your just a group of well meaning, mis-guided souls [soles?] getting involved in stuff without any legal right.

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:20 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Harry Alphabet schreef:

I think you're talking about an IRS requirement that any non-profit with less than $25,000 in annual revenue isn't required to file Form 990, an annual information return.
Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

This isn't a big of a deal as people are making it out to be. All they have to do is file the paper work for each year and their back in business.

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: