FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOLS....SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
James schreef:
Its soo sad that the superintendent has to be black. I hate this town cause the blacks moved in, and now the whites are all racists. Remember back in the good ole days, 30's -50's.. We didn't have this problem,but then slowly it has gotten worse. The black people ruined Flint, not GM.

BLAME THE DARKIES!! BLAME THE DARKIES...Come on James, put your pointy white hood back on a go hide in your basement! CHRIST!
These problems would be here regardless if Chow, Milton, Pollack or whoever would be at the helm of this sinking ship. Facts are facts and the facts is that ALL CHILDREN, white, black, brown and polka dot are suffering due to terrible mismanagement from the Superindentant and school boards from the past 30 years. Thats the bottom line.
So I guess, in your mind, things would hvae been different over the past quarter century if 90% of students were white? I guess GM wouldnt of pulled out of Flint either in your eyes? GET REAL! Its this type of thinking that keeps Flint right at the bottom of the trash pile. Is racism part of the problem in Flint?? Of course it is, but its this type of attitude that keeps the issue alive. Start at home. start to teach children not to hate because of others differences. Gays, disabled, metally challenged, fat people and yes....RACE! If most of FLint wants to find the problem, start looking in the mirror and ask yourself what you can do to change things. Start changing things at home at the dinner table with your kids. Thats where you should make the biggest impact.

As far as the Central HS issue, I was one of the biggest supporters of keeping Central open. I love my high school and will hate the day it is finally knocked down....sadly, I hate to say, it may be time to say goodbye. For the good of all students in Flint. Sad

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:

As far as the Central HS issue, I was one of the biggest supporters of keeping Central open. I love my high school and will hate the day it is finally knocked down....sadly, I hate to say, it may be time to say goodbye. For the good of all students in Flint. Sad

Naw we don't need to tear it down at all, we need to include it in our cultural center. Performing arts school? Meeting Space? Galleriers? New Sloan Exhibits? This building looks like a Ivy league college campus, unfortunately Flint Community Schools fails to properly maintain its properties!!

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DEMCAD

The city's schools are hopeless as long as we have an unstable economy. We have unemployment, underemployment, and a sinking population. All of which is eroding our tax base. When a city (and/or state) experiences economic problems, the local schools will always be affected.
We need to make up for this by cutting administrative jobs.
Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:46 pm 
Mushmouth

Ok Al you are right about the schools..just don't take it on that poor poster..lets be candid.the problem in flint sort of starts with jobs (which do not exist) for white or blue collar people, trained or untrained, educated or illiterate. Next we move to the neighborhoods....have you been through the eastside lately? It is a true hell hole....no one sane would live there if they could get out...and the north side...please......murder alley....even thugs are trying to get out..and they are....moving to the east side..and west side..and mott park..and court street....how about circle drive...pit bulls and gun shots...it looks like the scene in It's a wonderful life..Potterville....or maybe the scene in one of those back to the futures where you have an alternate universe if Biff gets the sports almanac....as for leadership..are you kidding me...these clowns do not even qualify as FOLLOWERS....have you seen a city council meeting..any cub scout troop brings more intellectual firepower to the table...which brings me to the safety issue...here is a good plan...lets let the Mayor try to demoralize the cops in the second most dangerous city in THIS HEMISPHERE...Hmmm the imminent threat of death does tend to cause people to move the hell out...People from Rwanda might not feel safe in Flint....so lets wrap it up..no jobs, no prospect of jobs, rotting, filthy, dangerous neighborhoods, which enjoy the added benefit of being policed by an understaffed, underpaid, overworked, angry police force, add in union teachers..and the usual race baiting that makes Flint look like a through the looking glass modern day Selma Alabama (imagine the second most dangerous city in the country and the major issue is getting rid of the Central Indian) amazing....and I am with you AL...I love the old lady..but its time to let her go..better than the agonizing slow death she is suffering now...have you been to Central ...last time I was there there was a HOLE in the floor on the second floor with orange cones around it.......so Angelos is dead, St. Joes is gone, stabbings and murders at Atwood, Centrl about to go down.....the Eastside dying, the West and South Sides following, the north side already in decomp...and even court street enduring daylight muggings, robberies and break ins....oh yeah check out real estate "values" does the words negative equity mean anyting to you? Ok I need a drink now...maybe two..and a nap....I am exhausted just thinking about this mess.
Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:31 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Why do they have to tear Central down? Maybe I'm naive. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but can't they just leave it? seal it up really well, make sure it's closed to all entry, do a little maintenance on the grounds and maybe twice a year make sure there are no major leaks or anything dangerous, and just leave it. Leave it until things get a little better, until someone who gives a damn about it has the money and the use for it, and then, sell it to them. Let someone fix it up, adaptively reuse it, whatever.

No. It's not being used for anything. No one has the money to fix it. But if we tear it down, what do we have? A big empty space that is STILL being used for nothing. Only now, it lost any character it ever had.

I know the problems involved with keeping the building: the upkeep, the people breaking in, blah blah blah. In my classes, I am always being told to err on the side of caution. If you have something, you have it and maybe it can be used, but once you tear something down, it's gone forever.

I don't advocate keeping everything. Some abandoned buildings need to be torn down. No lie. But Central High School is historic, not just old. And I'm sick and tired of telling people in my HP program that I'm from Flint and getting a sad little nod, like any remnants of Flint history or architecture is too far gone to care about.

Sorry, that's my rant.
Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:20 pm 
Mushmouth

I would LOVE to keep chs open..my grandparents, parents, and I and my siblings all went there....believe me..would love to keep it open..had the time of my LIFE there...however..who would buy it? when? and for what? look at the Durant Hotel for evidence..once the grand dame of Flint society, one of the most influential institutions in Michigan outside of Detroit..and look at it ..vacant since 1972...35 years and counting....a home for rats, disease, crime and a massive, oozing, public eyesore for 2.5 generations...who would pay for maintenance (see the old IMA/Autoworld for evidence of these costs) for security, for upkeep? in a bankrupt city ..who will do this work? its like keeping Lenin in a glass cabinet and on display.or that pope they have on display in the Vatican ...in a glass coffin..show her some dignity..and bury her quietly so she may live on in perpetuity in our memories as the shining example of a once great city..a bastion of the industrial might that won two word wars, and the cold war...and served as an instuitution of higher learning for countless civic leaders, doctors, lawyers, business owners, athletes and entertainers, not to mention five generations of auto workers...bury her with dignity and lets all move on...
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:35 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I know. Right now, the practicality of keeping Central or any old abandoned building is low, but I just look at cities like Kalamazoo or Lansing that were struggling, maybe not as much as Flint, but struggling nonetheless. Now, they've turned themselves around and their old historic buildings are a lucrative part of the cities. In Kalamazoo, there aren't enough old dilapidated buildings to keep up with the demand of developers who want to restore and renovate them. When I interned with the Historic District Coordinator there, people would call up looking for old buildings and she had to turn them down.

Now, I know it looks like Flint's economic slump is eternal right now, but it's not. Things will get better, whether it's in ten, twenty, or fifty years. But if restoring historic buildings is part of what brings developers to downtown, and Flint doesn't have anymore, then what will bring them downtown?

What Flint should think about doing is advertising their historic buildings in magazines such as Preservation, put out by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. There is a section in back advertising old historic buildings for sale and I'm sure some HP advocates are looking there for something to restore. If the people with money who aren't in Flint don't know about the valuable resources in Flint, how are they supposed to know to look here?
Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:43 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I've been inside Flint Central and I'm firmly opposed to closing that school. I personally think we should go with Northern, Central and SW Academy. I think we should let Northern and Central dress normally and leave SW with the dress code. I also think Flint should consider going after the Beecher district. I don't see why Mount Morris township would care if Flint took over the poor black Beecher district that is half in Flint anyways. This could save money but I'm not sure if Northern Central and SW academy could handle Flint and the beecher district. With the savings from combining school districts we should be able to put money into Central.

As for school supplies last year I had at least 2,000 pens made. I might have 20,000 made this year if Flint schools were more cooperative. I would have dropped all 2,000 pens off at Flint Central but Flint schools are difficult to partner with so I only was able to get aabout a hundred to the studetns. The only educational institution in this city that I have had success with is Baker college. I have had tremendous success with them.

Flint has trouble managing basic infrastructure let alone doing any advertising to promote itself.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:58 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Check out http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5022832 for the coverage of the Flint's schools forum led by Terry Bankert.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:20 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: